Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 12 Mar 2007 (Monday) 01:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Press Pass Question

ItsMike
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Greenlawn NY
Mar 12, 2007 01:08 |  #1

Other than working for you Local newspaper, How would one go about getting their hands on getting a Press Pass for like a baseball game ( Yankee Stadium). Just a thought,

Gear

sponsored links
MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Attica, NY / Parrish, FL
Mar 12, 2007 01:16 |  #2

You have to be shooting for someone like a paper, mag, card company, etc. MLB has a lot of rules to it and the use of photos.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

EOS ­ Man
Happy Lucky 888 EOS
645 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Mar 12, 2007 02:14 as a reply to MJPhotos24's post |  #3

Is a homemade pass allowed in those kind of large events? If it is (you are shooting for someone anyway right? Ie, yourself ;) ), then make one, laminate it and fit on a neckstrap for it.

My EOS Gearlist

gmen
Goldmember
4,345 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Essex
Mar 12, 2007 04:29 |  #4

EOS Man wrote in post #2856472external link
Is a homemade pass allowed in those kind of large events? If it is (you are shooting for someone anyway right? Ie, yourself ;) ), then make one, laminate it and fit on a neckstrap for it.

Unless this is meant to be a joke, then this is quite possibly the worst advice I have heard on this forum :lol: Faking credentials is big no-no.

---- Gavin

TGSPhoto Editorial Sports Photographyexternal link | TGS Blogexternal link | TGS Twitterexternal link | TGS Sportsshooterexternal link | TGS Tweetsexternal link | TGS Facebookexternal link | LinkedInexternal link

frenchdub
63 posts
Joined Mar 2006
France
Mar 12, 2007 09:49 as a reply to gmen's post |  #5

Hi there

No disrespect mean't in this reply but, basically unless you have a good reason to be there... major sports clubs and stadiums rightly won't give passes to amateurs... as has been previously stated. There is also usually a pecking order for these passes even in pro circles for major events... for example at the Olympics etc.. it starts with the major wire services, then the major sports agencies, then the big sports mags and papers... then the national dailies, then the major foreign dailies, then the local nupes etc.. Some of the tennis tournaments give you an assigned seat.

You can imagine the positions get pretty crowded and it can be really annoying when people who don't need to be there get in.. this happens from time to time... the worst is the pit lanes at Formula one... crawling with on lookers.. makes working really hard, tiring and stressful...

This is not elitist attitude.. but sports photography is a job too and to do it well you need the best working condition, so having it made harder and more stressfull coz you have to fight to get a shot with amateurs who don't repect the etiquette can be a real pain...

We all have to start I know.. but look to small local events and stadiums. Contact local clubs to perhaps get permission. You may even sell some shots to the local papers if they are good enough. One thing is for sure you're unlikely to sell shots of major events, as they are covered widely.

Many of the stadiums also ban long lenses in the stands...

Best Regards
Gareth

IndyJeff
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Mar 12, 2007 10:01 |  #6

Oh yeah, fantastic idea......not. Wasn't it at Yankee Stadium last year that the 17 year old kid had faked a credential and got caught. He was arrested and prosecuted.

Really if you have no legitimate reason for requesting a credential, then your not getting one and wanting to build a portfolio is not a legitimate reason either.

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003
southern Alberta, Canada
Mar 12, 2007 12:24 |  #7

Is a homemade pass allowed in those kind of large events? If it is (you are shooting for someone anyway right? Ie, yourself ;) ), then make one, laminate it and fit on a neck strap for it.

I can't believe you actually posted that. And we wonder why things are getting harder on the legitimate photographers. How many major events have you been successful in gaining access with your home made attempt.

It has been stated fairly clearly that you don't get these unless you have reason to be there on behalf of a significant news organization. I've seen some try and do end runs on the rules by getting, for example, a national magazine that might cover horse shows give a photographer (obviously a friend) who then attempts to use it to gain access to MLB.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

EOS ­ Man
Happy Lucky 888 EOS
645 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Mar 12, 2007 22:05 as a reply to ssim's post |  #8

Whoa, I didn't notice the replies until I checked out my subscribed threads. Sorry guys, bad joke... damn, must work on better less controversial ones:o

My EOS Gearlist

holrd
181 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Mar 13, 2007 08:10 |  #9

EOS Man wrote in post #2861335external link
Whoa, I didn't notice the replies until I checked out my subscribed threads. Sorry guys, bad joke... damn, must work on better less controversial ones:o

FWIW it gave me a chuckle

5D | 30D | 70-200 2.8 IS | 24-70 | 17-40 | 100 macro | 580ex | 2x AB800

sponsored links

3,778 views & 0 likes for this thread
Press Pass Question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.