Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 25 Mar 2007 (Sunday) 14:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fixed 350D/XT focus problems with Allen key!

erpetao
118 posts
Joined Feb 2007
UK
Mar 25, 2007 14:40 |  #1

Hi!

A couple of weeks ago I purchased the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for my Digital Rebel XT / 350D, and it arrived yesterday morning. When I went out to try it, I was very disappointed as the pictures looked soft at wide apertures (2.8).

I was going to contact the seller to get a replacement (and send it all the way to Hong Kong), but the fact that at smaller apertures was incredibly sharp made me think about it. I realized it wasn't softness but a front focus problem. I had the same problem with the nifty fifty, and I always thought it was the lens, but now this was weird.

After reading the lens forum FAQ, I realized it was my camera's problem, looks like it's a common problem with this model. I thought about sending it back to Canon, but then I found this webpageexternal link (and the google translation)external link explaining how to fix the front focus problem with an hex key.

This morning I bought the hex keys, printed a focus test chart, and after some work... I fixed my camera!!

If you guys have problems with your XT and big aperture lenses, there is a big chance is a camera problem. I recommend you to try this out!

I'm so happy, I feel like I have a new camera and 3 new lenses!

- Canon EOS 30D & EOS 350D & EOS 30 (Film)
- Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
- Canon 50mm f/1.8
- Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG
- Flash Sigma EF-500 Super

sponsored links
Juan ­ Zas
Goldmember
1,511 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Madrid - ESP
Mar 25, 2007 15:16 |  #2

Thank you for the page.

I have post it before when the AF problem was a hot item. With this system you change the position of the second mirror slightly (if I am correct). So you must now check that the AF accuracy is achieved in the 7 AF points as you have changed the AF mirror position and could be that the accuracy of the upper & lower AF points has change. Some times is not a problem, when you use AF center point only.

Previously to use this system you must be pretty sure that the problem is common to ALL your lenses and not only to one lens related (as it was your case) !!

Congratulations and enjoy

Cheers
Juan

erpetao
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Feb 2007
UK
Mar 26, 2007 07:32 as a reply to Juan Zas's post |  #3

Thanks Juan (gracias tío).

I still didn't test thoroughly the other AF points, but they seem to be fine.

This morning I went out to test the Tamron 17-50mm and the Sigma 70-300mm and the focus is spot on.

With the Canon 50mm f/1.8 (nifty) now I can take pictures at 1.8. Before I used a technique to overcome the front focus, I would half press to focus, then move myself forward a centimeter or two, and then take the picture. Anyway this method was trial & error and it would take a few snapshots before getting the right one. Now with the camera fixed, I can focus to the eye and press the shutter and I get a good photo!

Here is a test photo this morning with the Tammy at 2.8:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
- Canon 50mm f/1.8

Pete-eos
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined Jul 2006
SW London UK
Mar 27, 2007 15:52 |  #4

Thanks for that, might similar issues, be scared to stick anything in the camera though!

Have to conducts some tests myself now...

erpetao
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined Feb 2007
UK
Mar 27, 2007 19:00 |  #5

Pete-eos wrote in post #2940226external link
Thanks for that, might similar issues, be scared to stick anything in the camera though!

Have to conducts some tests myself now...

There's nothing to be afraid of, as long as you are careful. I recommend you to buy two 1.3mm allen keys, and bend one of them as the french page shows, there's no way to do it without bending it. If you have one bent and the other straight (or bent to the opposite side) you won't have any problems adjusting it.

I bought the big set of allen keys from Homebase that includes two of each (one long and one short) and it was perfect (but I would have preferred to just buy the 1.3mm keys to save money :D).

I was very scared of doing this too, but I found it very easy. If I find any more problems in the future I won't hesitate before adjusting the camera again :).

- Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
- Canon 50mm f/1.8

remixity
386 posts
Joined May 2006
Chicago, IL
Mar 27, 2007 22:59 |  #6

Very nice work, looks like you tuned that baby up just right

JackProton
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Apr 03, 2007 17:11 |  #7

erpetao wrote in post #2928447external link
Hi!

A couple of weeks ago I purchased the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for my Digital Rebel XT / 350D, and it arrived yesterday morning. When I went out to try it, I was very disappointed as the pictures looked soft at wide apertures (2.8).

I've been having this very same problem. But I gave up on the Tamron after three copies and two trips to Canon Service for my XT. The first time Canon "fixed" my front-focusing problem, it was better except in low-light conditions where it still front-focused. The second time Canon "fixed" my XT, it worked better in low-light but just not for the Tamron. I got the Sigma 17-70mm instead but there are still some front-focusing issues. Canon is now "fixing" my XT for the third time under warranty and I've really had it. The Canon tech tells me my problem is third party lenses and old film lenses.

EOS ­ MAN1
655 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Orlando, FL
Apr 03, 2007 18:37 |  #8

It seems my focus is off too. Man that sux. It sure explains a lot of my disappointment at wide apertures.
Here is an example of my Nifty Fifty at f/1.8. The center focus point is at 3 inches exactly. The focus is way off. The tape measure is about 45 to the sensor plane.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

BERNARD BRZEZINSKI
- Photography & Consulting Services
- http://www.bernardbrze​zinski.comexternal link | contact: nfo@bernardbrzezinski.​com

EOS ­ MAN1
655 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Orlando, FL
Apr 03, 2007 18:44 |  #9

If I send it to Canon(still less than a year old) will they fix it?

BERNARD BRZEZINSKI
- http://www.bernardbrze​zinski.comexternal link | contact: nfo@bernardbrzezinski.​com

19k82
71 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Apr 03, 2007 19:13 |  #10

my 20d is off, I cant find the right size allen key. I have done the adjustment on other brand SLR's before with much sucess, but the 1.3mm key they suggest, doesnt fit !!

what size do you recommend, any other tips?

EOS ­ MAN1
655 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Orlando, FL
Apr 03, 2007 19:29 |  #11

is the 1.3 too big or too small?

BERNARD BRZEZINSKI

19k82
71 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Apr 03, 2007 20:16 |  #12

1.3 is too small, and the next size up is too big... tried another ameican sized one that was supposed to work.

Anyone sucessfully adjust a xxd body?

JackProton
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Apr 03, 2007 23:59 |  #13

EOS MAN1 wrote in post #2980261external link
If I send it to Canon(still less than a year old) will they fix it?

Canon will recalibrate your camera's and/or lens' auto-focus to factory specs. If its still under warranty, they'll do it for free. Warranty repairs are covered by their own warranty just in case you need the repair fixed. Or the fixed repair fixed. Or the fixed repair of the fix repaired.

2005GLI
Goldmember
1,743 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Apr 04, 2007 02:36 |  #14

if the camera is out of warranty(my xt is going on 2 years old) how much will canon charge to check and recalibrate the focusing?

Canon XT|BGE3|40D|BGE2|24-105 F4/L|70-200 F/2.8 APO|
|12-24 F/4|50 F/1.8|8mm F/4|kit lens|
|Other goodies that I can't fit in here|

EOS ­ MAN1
655 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Orlando, FL
Apr 04, 2007 09:31 |  #15

I put in a repair order last night. I will be sending it in this week. they said turn around is 7 days. Thats not too bad at all.

BERNARD BRZEZINSKI

sponsored links

12,519 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fixed 350D/XT focus problems with Allen key!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.