Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Critique Corner
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of April 2007 (Sun)   #1
WarOnError

Default Shooting everything i can find. need help.

Hi all, im trying to become a better photographer but I dont know where to start, so I just started taking pictures of anything I can find. The camera is a Powershot G3, im trying to learn on this before I end up buying a Rebel XTi or better. Let me know if you have ANY tips, be harsh if need to be, just lay it down.

http://www.warindustries.net/crit1.jpg
http://www.warindustries.net/crit2.jpg
http://www.warindustries.net/crit3.jpg
http://www.warindustries.net/crit4.jpg

Last edited by WarOnError : 15th of April 2007 (Sun) at 15:04.
WarOnError is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of April 2007 (Sun)   #2
zanyzach37

Default Re: Shooting everything i can find. need help.

When I got my first camera, I did exactly what you did, and shot anything I could. I looked for stuff everywhere, tried to take shots I thought were "good", and basically ended up with a whole bunch of stuff that might have been technically correct but didn't give me much satisfaction.

Since you're just starting, and this is just my perspective, the best advice I could give would be to shoot things you enjoy and have a good time. You'll get better with practice, after handling the camera for a while, and learning how it works. You have some interesting shots, but I kind of get the feeling that, like you said, these were just images of "things that you found' rather than things you were invested in.

I tend to gravitate more towards the "creative" side of photography rather than the "technical", and I'm sure you'll get some solid advice from others on here with regard to the ins-and-outs of photography, and what you need to do to make your images more technically correct. But I think those things usually fall into place when you're having a good time and you really care about what you're shooting.

Keep up the good work... you're off to a great start.
Old 16th of April 2007 (Mon)   #3
Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop

Your 1st 3 shots are what I would call "exercises in macro". The 4th shot is what I would call an exercise in depth of field and the problem of isolating parts of the scene from the distraction elements.

You will find that you will get a higher incidence of acceptance when you first decide in which category or class of photograph you are producing and then ask yourself whether or not your photograph would stand a chance in a competition in that class or category. In order to reach the level of "fine art", a great deal of learning is required on such topics as "interest" and "composition" and "chiaroscuro".

You're off to a good start, but the sooner you focus on a particular category and compete in that category, the sooner you will find out what is important and what is not.
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.
Robert_Lay is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of April 2007 (Mon)   #4
MagicallyDelicious
Goldmember

Just keep doing what you are doing. and ask peoples opinions on pictures....You'll start to notice things in your pictures that you didnt before and they will be things that will stay in your head every time you go and take more pictures.!

Canon 300D 18-55 Kit, Canon 35-80, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 500 DG Super,
Bits n Bobs

Your Mind Is Like A Parachute.....Only Works When Open.
MagicallyDelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of April 2007 (Mon)   #5
spaceCow

Check out this essay http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...xt-level.shtml. Especially the Aesthetic Levels section. Shot lots, but take time to look at your shots especially your older ones. As I experiment more and read more (especially critiques), I really start seeing the flaws in my older exposures.

For your first two images, they lack focus and flow. When I look at them, my eye just wanders all over the place and I find the pictures uninteresting. Experiment with cropping and remove the uninteresting bits.
Old 16th of April 2007 (Mon)   #6
snavlee

my suggestion would be to find a definate subject for the picture. As mentioned above, the eye tends to wonder through these pictures without any real subject. Try to find something "worthy" of capturing and then compose a shot.
580 EX
snavlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of April 2007 (Tue)   #7
strmrdr

A good start is to find a stationary subject that appeals to you and shot it from all angles and in different lighting conditions over several days.
Taking random pictures will not help you learn.

Once thats done start playing with DOF and aparture values.