Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Apr 2007 (Wednesday) 07:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

exposing to the right question.

sebmour
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 18, 2007 07:33 |  #1

Hi,

I am wondering, in favor of exposing the photograph to the right should I just adjust exposure compensation 2/3 of a stop overexposed and work from there.

Just trying to figure out the simplist way of always doing this.

Than you all.

Montreal and Destination wedding photographer (external link)
5DIII, 5DII X2, 15mm f2.8, 24L,35L, 50 1.4, 85LII, 135L, 200LIS, 2X430EXII, 4X580EXII

sponsored links
StewartR
"your nose is too big"
4,269 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 18, 2007 08:00 |  #2

No. How much EC you need to use depends on [a] how light/dark the subject is, and [B] how well exposed it would be without any EC. There's on one-size-fits-all solution.

www.LensesForHire.co.u​k (external link) - complete with matching POTN discussion thread
Photos: Cats (external link) | London by day (external link) | London by night (external link) I My POTN photo sharing threads (external link) | Official "Where Am I Now?" archive (external link)
Gear: 350D | Sigma 18-200mm | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 50mm f/1.4

PhotosGuy
75,180 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 18, 2007 10:02 |  #3

I start by aiming for a properly exposed flat-white & refine from there. The sky, water, reflection, might all throw the histogram off, so I use this to be sure that the bright areas "at the right" are the bright areas I want to keep:

Need an exposure crutch?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,111 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 18, 2007 12:55 |  #4

There is no single, universally appropriate way to shoot ALL shots...different shots may require different techniques to get 'the best' from that shot. The skill is knowing when which technique is best for which shot.

That isn't the same as simply ignoring the rules and shooting according to 'what works for you'. It is using the appropriate 'rule' for the appropriate situation.

Examples...1. 'shoot to the right' applies when there is highlight detail that you need to keep, and the total range of brightness in the scene will all fit!
2. But it is useless to follow that rule if the tonal range is too great to fit, and you need to preserve shadow detail!
3. And, if you need to retain tonal accuracy (shooting for fashion or textile industry), 'shoot to the right' will get you into a lot of trouble with your client if you do not also take suitable steps to bring back tonal accuracy!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

PhotosGuy
75,180 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 18, 2007 19:41 |  #5

Seems that we're using similar terms to describe very different things & I don't want to confuse sebmour.

so I use this to be sure that the bright areas "at the right" are the bright areas I want to keep:

I shoot a lot of cars in late light. I don't want to keep detail in the chrome at the cost of losing shadow detail, so I expose for a white & let the bright reflections blow out.

1. 'shoot to the right' applies when there is highlight detail that you need to keep,

Wilt is adjusting to keep a full (as possible) tonal range. Like film & prints, digital can't show the full tonal range that your eye can see, so we try to keep as much as we can that we think is important at that time with that subject.

You'll see Expose to the right (external link) mentioned. Say there's nothing very bright in the shot, like a blue flower with a green background. A "proper" exposure would put the blue flower in the middle of the histogram, but there are no bright bits to blow out, so you can open up the exposure FOR RAW to put the blue at the right.
This is only used with RAW & the levels are brought down in conversion. Check the link out for why.
I hope it helps.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sebmour
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 19, 2007 07:59 |  #6

Thank you all for the help and information. I was wondering but I will have a hard time applying this since I usually shoot street candids and sports.

Montreal and Destination wedding photographer (external link)
5DIII, 5DII X2, 15mm f2.8, 24L,35L, 50 1.4, 85LII, 135L, 200LIS, 2X430EXII, 4X580EXII

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,111 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 19, 2007 08:49 |  #7

Read this to understand histograms (external link)

And this (external link)

and this is about exposing to the right (external link)

As was stated, every scene is unique, so one cannot merely set EC to a fixed value for all shots...that is using exposure compensation without universally practicing 'shoot to the right' nor applying tailored solutions for each situation as I described earlier.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

3,634 views & 0 likes for this thread
exposing to the right question.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.