Thread started 13 Jan 2005 (Thursday) 08:54   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

futura
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
1,369 posts
Surrey, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Not sure if this has been posted yet but I just came across it on the warehouseexpress site.

Its a collection of writeups Joe Cornish has done for lee filters... obviously advertising lee filters but he talks about how he has setup his shots.

Joe Cornishexternal link

Post #31, Jun 07, 2006 17:52:28

Various gear
...and most importantly my left eye!
Websiteexternal link
Flickr pageexternal link
500pxexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Aray_Of_Art
Joined Jul 2006
316 posts
Midwest, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Tadhg wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good book that focuses more on the settings side of photography. For example, the benfits of long or short exposure,large aperture vs small aperture, high iso vs low iso and basically how to compose photographs.

"Understanding Exposure" best book I've been reading so far! :D

Post #32, Jul 16, 2006 15:42:33 as a reply to post 810499

30D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 430EX Speedlite

dafnis
Joined Jul 2006
45 posts
The Hague, Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Ansel Adam's "The Camera", no.1 in his fabulous photography series.
Nos.2 & 3 are not sooo useful for digital photography.

Post #33, Aug 15, 2006 09:54:01 as a reply to Aray_Of_Art's post 29 days earlier.

Canon 40D | Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8II | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | Epson P-4500 | Lowepro Rezo 180 AW | Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW | Photix Cleon C8 | Filter, cleaning, etc.

F8th637
Joined Aug 2006
30 posts
Outside of Washington DC
[MORE/SHARE]

As a general newbie to photography, thus far, I have found Michael Freeman's "Complete Guide to Digital Photography" to be great. I like how he starts very low-level with how a digital camera sensor works and how it relates to film. Definitely looking forward to the rest of the book.

Post #34, Aug 16, 2006 15:28:28

http://ryanandangel.sm​ugmug.comexternal link
Cameras: 30D & S3 IS, retiring the A60 :D
Lenses: 17-85mm f/4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm f/4 L USM

coreypolis
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
6,793 posts
Mercer Island, WA
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I have a lot of links to photo related products, PDFs of guides and instructions, and reccommended software in my resources page in my sig

Post #35, Aug 16, 2006 15:33:14

Photographic Resourcesexternal link || International Photo Journalistexternal link

Blogexternal link

Seattle Wedding Photographer - Corey Polis Photographerexternal link

sponsored links
ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
Joined Jan 2006
6,484 posts
Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.
[MORE/SHARE]

Tim recently added a list of books to this thread in the Weddings forum.

Post #36, Dec 07, 2006 14:35:21 as a reply to coreypolis's post 3 months earlier.

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well)external link

Charlya
Joined Jan 2007
48 posts
Dallas, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

I would recommend anything by Scott Kelby. I love how he doesn't get into all the "theory" behind everything. He just says, if you want to know how to get the picture to look like this, do this. Simply stated. There is so much to learn when you are first starting out you just need to "Do it". I can read all day long on what aperture, shutter speed etc means but I won't understand ANY of it until I do it and see results. Once you understand basics then later start learning the theory behind everything and mature into your own style of photography.

I loved his book "The Digital Photography Book" I also bought his book on Photoshop Elements 5 and it's great!

http://shop.scottkelby​books.com/index.phpexternal link

Post #37, Jan 22, 2007 14:04:14 as a reply to ibdb's post 1 month earlier.

Gear: Canon 40D with battery grip, Canon Rebel XTi with battery grip, EFS 18-55mm (Kit), Canon EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 III Zoom Lens, (2) Canon EF 28-135mm Lens, Promaster 18-300mm lens, Canon Speedlite 580EX, Canon Speedlite XII, CP-E3, and Canon G6

Robukincan
Joined Dec 2006
217 posts
BC, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm new, I read this thread, purchased and read on the back of it, so i'd like to provide some feedback to help future newbies :)

1. Read this one first:
4.5 out of 5 Scott Kelby - The Digital Photography Book
This book provides practical, incredibly easy to understand tips, tricks, basics, and advise on how to shoot good pictures. Highly recommended for anyone new to photography, provides a great grounding, and enough to move on to ....

2. Read this one next:
5 out of 5 Bryan Peterson - Understanding Exposure (Updated Version)
What an absolutely awesome book for folks new (and maybe not so new) to photography. Explains the major concepts of photography in an easy to understand manner while providing practical advise on how to apply them to your shooting. Includes excellent photo examples, a few exercises for you to follow, and a huge wealth of knowledge for your brain. I'm going to have to read this one again and again to understand the implications of everything the author discusses. This book left me feeling like I just learned alot and had alot more to learn.

I wouldn't recommend...
2 out of 5 John Hedgecoe's Photography Basics
While John provides solid theory, for me at least he doesn't explain HOW to capture the shot. Kelby and Peterson's books left me with a warm and fuzzy that I'd learnt something ... Hedgecoe's effort while factually correct, just doesn't really help me.

[SIZE=2]I hope this helps future newbies - go buy those first 2 books!! :)

-Rob

Post #38, Mar 07, 2007 11:29:47 as a reply to Charlya's post 1 month earlier.

SeattleJerry
Joined May 2006
83 posts
Lynnwood, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

My most recent addition is Garage Glamour by Rolando Gomez. A very interesting read for those of you into glamour style photos

SeattleJerry

Post #39, Mar 07, 2007 13:57:38

onBit
Joined Oct 2006
128 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Robukincan wrote in post #2831348external link
I'm new, I read this thread, purchased and read on the back of it, so i'd like to provide some feedback to help future newbies :)

1. Read this one first:
4.5 out of 5 Scott Kelby - The Digital Photography Book
This book provides practical, incredibly easy to understand tips, tricks, basics, and advise on how to shoot good pictures. Highly recommended for anyone new to photography, provides a great grounding, and enough to move on to ....

2. Read this one next:
5 out of 5 Bryan Peterson - Understanding Exposure (Updated Version)
What an absolutely awesome book for folks new (and maybe not so new) to photography. Explains the major concepts of photography in an easy to understand manner while providing practical advise on how to apply them to your shooting. Includes excellent photo examples, a few exercises for you to follow, and a huge wealth of knowledge for your brain. I'm going to have to read this one again and again to understand the implications of everything the author discusses. This book left me feeling like I just learned alot and had alot more to learn.

I wouldn't recommend...
2 out of 5 John Hedgecoe's Photography Basics
While John provides solid theory, for me at least he doesn't explain HOW to capture the shot. Kelby and Peterson's books left me with a warm and fuzzy that I'd learnt something ... Hedgecoe's effort while factually correct, just doesn't really help me.

[SIZE=2]I hope this helps future newbies - go buy those first 2 books!! :)

-Rob

Very accurate comments Rob.

Scott & Bryan give specific exsposure information which are very helpful to "learn" the shot. (eg; exsposure, aperature, time of day, focal length, lens type and shutter speed)

I have two John Hedgecoe books, "Photographing the Nude" & "Travel Photography". No specific shot/esposure information ever detailed in these two books. Waste of time and money.

Another addition to the first two books you listed :

"Learning to See Creatively" by Bryan Peterson.
This book is just as well written as the first two in your list but on the subject of Design, Color & Composition in Photography. Again this book is very useful as exsposure and composition specifics are detailed in an organized fashion. Also included are examples you can perform on camera to understand points conveyed in the book.

Post #40, Mar 09, 2007 17:59:44

http://flickriver.com/​photos/onbit/popular-interesting/external link

onBit
Joined Oct 2006
128 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

SeattleJerry wrote in post #2831931external link
My most recent addition is Garage Glamour by Rolando Gomez. A very interesting read for those of you into glamour style photos

SeattleJerry

Hi Jerry,
I had viewed this book on Amazon.com it seemed interesting on first glance, plus I like Rolando's work; however, I found all the reviews on Amazon too "controversial" at best and "contrary" in style to the work he produces professionally. http://www.rolandogome​z.com/portfolio/?catid​=1external link

He suggests using some homemade lighting setups which yeild less than professional results and do not seem to be the lighting setups which he uses as a pro. Looking at his work with models he obviously uses a pro-lighting setup and not a "diy garage" setup.

Post #41, Mar 09, 2007 18:07:49

http://flickriver.com/​photos/onbit/popular-interesting/external link

sponsored links
ChrisBlaze
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
1,801 posts
Honolulu, Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

Can someone help me find a book or website on portrait photography?

Post #42, Apr 11, 2007 16:32:53

Canon 1D Mark II N/5D Mark III/ 6D/ 7D /85mm f1.2L Mk1/ 24-70 f2.8L/ 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM/ 100mm Macro f/2.8

Honolulu POTN

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,015 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

onBit wrote in post #2844803external link
Hi Jerry,
I had viewed this book on Amazon.com it seemed interesting on first glance, plus I like Rolando's work; however, I found all the reviews on Amazon too "controversial" at best and "contrary" in style to the work he produces professionally. http://www.rolandogome​z.com/portfolio/?catid​=1external link

He suggests using some homemade lighting setups which yeild less than professional results and do not seem to be the lighting setups which he uses as a pro. Looking at his work with models he obviously uses a pro-lighting setup and not a "diy garage" setup.

I looked at this book at B&N, and was disappointed. It's off my list of contenders, and I'm searching for a better resource.

Post #43, Apr 19, 2007 10:15:43

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

randomgrafix
Joined Dec 2006
543 posts
Republic of Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
[MORE/SHARE]

Any suggestions on a good MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY for beginners and intermediates.

Post #44, Jun 22, 2007 10:42:08 as a reply to hawk911's post 2 months earlier.

Marlon & Nicole - "CANONS TO THE RIGHT OF THEM. CANONS TO THE LEFT OF THEM. CANONS IN FRONT OF THEM, VOLLEY'D AND THUNDER'D!"
Canon XTi &
300D/Canon 18-55/Canon 50 f1.8/Canon 70-200 f4L/Canon 70-210 f3.5-4.5/Tamron 28-300 f3.5-6.3 - Website:external link l POSITIVE FEEDBACK

Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
Joined Nov 2003
12,842 posts
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

NOT the one by John Shaw. It's very dated, and there are better ones.

Post #45, Jun 22, 2007 11:57:34

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

LIST NEARBY THREADS
174,538 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photography Books
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES