Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses > Lens Sample Photo Archive
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of May 2007 (Tue)   #1
producerism

Default Sigma 8mm F/3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye

please add the this to the lens archive, I noticed the Sigma 8mm was missing, and I would really love to see some examples other than the very few from google.
producerism is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of May 2007 (Sat)   #2
Swift

Default Re: Sigma 8mm F/3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye

I'd love to see some samples with this lens as well.
Old 1st of June 2007 (Fri)   #3
ZeroFiveOne

Anyone?

I'm in need of some justification to buy this lens!
Old 1st of June 2007 (Fri)   #4
folville

I have this lens. It's pretty nice as far as fisheyes go, but if you're looking to justify your need for it, you'll probably end up disappointed. Like I said, this lens is great for what it does (it has excellent optics, is pretty sharp, and focuses fairly quickly [and close for that matter]), but it's applications are limited.

I'll post samples later.
folville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2007 (Fri)   #5
folville

Ok, here are some samples. Let me first say that this lens is sharp and extremely good at producing pleasing colors and contrast. None of the following photos has any PP at all other than resizing.

this is to give you an idea of the sort of bokeh this lens produces

This should also give you an idea of the sharpness this lens has. It is focused just a bit behind the edge of the surface of the birdbath. It is wide open at f/3.5.

Gawk at the colors this lens can reproduce without a c-pol (which would be hard to attach, i suppose).

Also of note is the incredible distance at which this lens can focus. The shot of the birdbath made me put two of my fingers between the birdbath and the lens, and that was it. I do that because I'm afraid of scratching the objective element on something because I'm fairly confident that I would actually hit the object before the lens failed to focus on it. I'll see if I can also find a sample of flare in this lens, which I feel is the best that i've even seen.
Old 1st of June 2007 (Fri)   #6
El Duderino

The lens definitely produces a cool effect, but overall I don't see the usefulness of it.

Personally, I would only want to use it in special circumstances.

500px | flickr
El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2007 (Fri)   #7
folville

That's the problem. This lens' usefulness is short lived. I'd say that if somebody is in the market for a fisheye in the canon mount, then this is the lens to buy, but otherwise, it's a pretty big waste of money.
Old 1st of June 2007 (Fri)   #8
AirBrontosaurus
Goldmember

Psh... fisheyes are incredibly versatile with a little photoshop knowhow. The Peleng 8mm fisheye writeup link in my sig details what you can do with a fisheye lens.

I agree that you don't want to use them everywhere, but at the same time I don't think that they are a "novelty" lens. As long as you don't go overboard, the shots fisheyes produce leave a lot of room for creativity.

That being said, I'd buy the Peleng over the sigma. 1/2 of the cost and just as good (no AF, but it isn't necessary because of the extreme DOF).
Lenses: Canon 24-105mm f/4 L | Canon MP-E 65mm Macro | Canon 85mm f/1.8 |

AirBrontosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of June 2007 (Sat)   #9
angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
The lens definitely produces a cool effect, but overall I don't see the usefulness of it.

Personally, I would only want to use it in special circumstances.

It would be a killer lens for certain sports...especially extreme sports. I want one
angryhampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of June 2007 (Sat)   #10
ZeroFiveOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by folville View Post
Ok, here are some samples. Let me first say that this lens is sharp and extremely good at producing pleasing colors and contrast. None of the following photos has any PP at all other than resizing.

Also of note is the incredible distance at which this lens can focus. The shot of the birdbath made me put two of my fingers between the birdbath and the lens, and that was it. I do that because I'm afraid of scratching the objective element on something because I'm fairly confident that I would actually hit the object before the lens failed to focus on it. I'll see if I can also find a sample of flare in this lens, which I feel is the best that i've even seen.
Thanks for taking the time to post those examples. I was wondering why your fingers were in that shot. Amazing that it will focus that close
Old 2nd of June 2007 (Sat)   #11
Kickstart

Hi

I bought one but haven't yet had a chance to use it for its intended purpose.

It is quite fun to use. Especially for extremely unflattering portraits.

This was the underside of a bridge (cropped a bit):-

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPict...201024x768.jpg

This is of one of our bikes. You can see a fair bit of purple fringing on the left where the light was coming from.

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPicture/FishEyeFull.JPG

Down side is that it is very easy to get bits of yourself in the shot.

All the best

Keith
Old 4th of June 2007 (Mon)   #12
Kickstart

Hi

One thing I have noticed is that it makes cloudy skys far more interesting. Adds more contrast between the clouds and the bits between them.

All the best

Keith
Old 19th of June 2007 (Tue)   #13
jcw122

So amazing, though the Peleng is half the price....
jcw122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of July 2007 (Wed)   #14
mophoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by folville View Post

this is to give you an idea of the sort of bokeh this lens produces

This should also give you an idea of the sharpness this lens has. It is focused just a bit behind the edge of the surface of the birdbath. It is wide open at f/3.5.

Gawk at the colors this lens can reproduce without a c-pol (which would be hard to attach, i suppose).

Folville-
I notice your first and third shots have black vignetting in the corners- how do you avoid that? I just bought the 8mm for my canon 20D and noticed the same thing. When I called B&H they said the lens may be defective?? Is that right? I don't want the vignetting and if that's normal, maybe I should try the Tokina 10-17mm--- what do you think?
Thanks!!
mophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of July 2007 (Wed)   #15
wimg
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mophoto View Post
Folville-
I notice your first and third shots have black vignetting in the corners- how do you avoid that? I just bought the 8mm for my canon 20D and noticed the same thing. When I called B&H they said the lens may be defective?? Is that right? I don't want the vignetting and if that's normal, maybe I should try the Tokina 10-17mm--- what do you think?
Thanks!!
I am not Folville, but I can answer your question regardless .

The guy you spoke to at B&H clearly hasn't got a clue.

Essentially, the Sigma (and Peleng) 8 mm fisheyes are circular fisheyes, for FF. This means they project their image in a circle just fitting within the 24 mm height of a 24 X 36 mm frame. Actually, this circle is about 23 mm in diameter, resulting in a circular image with black all aroun dit for the rest of the frame size.

If you superimpose the APS-C sensor over the centre of this circle, you'll find that the diagonal of the sensor is just a little larger than the image projected, hence resulting in black corners on an APS-C sensor.

So, while the diagonal is still a 180 degree AoV, it does have the side effect of black corners.

If you want the frame to be filled completely, you'll need a 180 degree diagonal fisheye for APS-C, which indeed is the Tokina 10-17 at 10 mm. And it is the only one of its kind, as the Pentax design, the original, is essentially optically the same.

Furthermore, IMO the zoom function is a gimmick, because you'll want to use at 10 mm, 180 degree AoV normally, except for one side benefit: at 12-13 mm it is a 180 degree diagonal fisheye for APS-H, and at 15 mm for FF. 3 lenses for the price of one .

Anyway, HTH, kind regards, Wim
wimg is offline   Reply With Quote