FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive
Thread started 08 May 2007 (Tuesday) 10:28   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

producerism
Joined Apr 2007
328 posts
underground
[MORE/SHARE]

please add the this to the lens archive, I noticed the Sigma 8mm was missing, and I would really love to see some examples other than the very few from google. :D

Post #1, May 08, 2007 10:28:12

30d | kitLens | sigma10-20 | canon24-105L
canon100mm USM Macro | canon50mm 1.4

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Swift
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,225 posts
Ohio, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd love to see some samples with this lens as well.

Post #2, May 12, 2007 11:48:28

Canon 550D | Canon 70-200mm f/4L USM | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon Speedlight 430EX | Raynox DCR-250 Macro

ZeroFiveOne
Joined Mar 2007
138 posts
Gulf Coast
[MORE/SHARE]

Anyone?

I'm in need of some justification to buy this lens! :D

Post #3, Jun 01, 2007 12:06:20 as a reply to Swift's post 20 days earlier.

My Gear

folville
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,022 posts
MN
[MORE/SHARE]

I have this lens. It's pretty nice as far as fisheyes go, but if you're looking to justify your need for it, you'll probably end up disappointed. Like I said, this lens is great for what it does (it has excellent optics, is pretty sharp, and focuses fairly quickly [and close for that matter]), but it's applications are limited.

I'll post samples later.

Post #4, Jun 01, 2007 12:30:40

135mm f/2.8 SF for sale

folville
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,022 posts
MN
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok, here are some samples. Let me first say that this lens is sharp and extremely good at producing pleasing colors and contrast. None of the following photos has any PP at all other than resizing.

IMAGE: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6295/img6137webqu4.th.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://img69.imageshac​k.us ...p?image=img6137webq​u4.jpg]external link
this is to give you an idea of the sort of bokeh this lens produces

IMAGE: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/3599/sharpnesstestut0.th.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://img69.imageshac​k.us ...mage=sharpnesstestu​t0.jpg]external link
This should also give you an idea of the sharpness this lens has. It is focused just a bit behind the edge of the surface of the birdbath. It is wide open at f/3.5.

IMAGE: http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/4633/fisheyesky2sh7.th.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://img475.imagesha​ck.us ...?image=fisheyesky2s​h7.jpg]external link
Gawk at the colors this lens can reproduce without a c-pol (which would be hard to attach, i suppose).

Also of note is the incredible distance at which this lens can focus. The shot of the birdbath made me put two of my fingers between the birdbath and the lens, and that was it. I do that because I'm afraid of scratching the objective element on something because I'm fairly confident that I would actually hit the object before the lens failed to focus on it. I'll see if I can also find a sample of flare in this lens, which I feel is the best that i've even seen.

Post #5, Jun 01, 2007 22:46:48

135mm f/2.8 SF for sale

sponsored links
El ­ Duderino
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
1,921 posts
Denver, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

The lens definitely produces a cool effect, but overall I don't see the usefulness of it.

Personally, I would only want to use it in special circumstances.

Post #6, Jun 01, 2007 22:55:36

Nikon D600 | Bower 14mm f/2.8 | Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR | Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR | Nikon 50mm f/1.8G | Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
500pxexternal link | flickrexternal link

folville
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,022 posts
MN
[MORE/SHARE]

That's the problem. This lens' usefulness is short lived. I'd say that if somebody is in the market for a fisheye in the canon mount, then this is the lens to buy, but otherwise, it's a pretty big waste of money.

Post #7, Jun 01, 2007 23:38:40

135mm f/2.8 SF for sale

AirBrontosaurus
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2005
3,813 posts
Indianapolis, Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Psh... fisheyes are incredibly versatile with a little photoshop knowhow. The Peleng 8mm fisheye writeup link in my sig details what you can do with a fisheye lens.

I agree that you don't want to use them everywhere, but at the same time I don't think that they are a "novelty" lens. As long as you don't go overboard, the shots fisheyes produce leave a lot of room for creativity.

That being said, I'd buy the Peleng over the sigma. 1/2 of the cost and just as good (no AF, but it isn't necessary because of the extreme DOF).

Post #8, Jun 01, 2007 23:44:45

Chris | My Flickrexternal link | AirBrontosaurus.comexternal link | Peleng 8mm Fisheye writeupexternal link
Body
: Canon 5D
Lenses: Canon 24-105mm f/4 L | Canon MP-E 65mm Macro | Canon 85mm f/1.8 |

angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
Joined May 2006
3,850 posts
Iowa
[MORE/SHARE]

El Duderino wrote in post #3305589external link
The lens definitely produces a cool effect, but overall I don't see the usefulness of it.

Personally, I would only want to use it in special circumstances.

It would be a killer lens for certain sports...especially extreme sports. I want one :)

Post #9, Jun 02, 2007 01:15:01

Steve Lexa
http://photography-on-the.net ...p?t=597688&highligh​t=mintIowa City Wedding Photographyexternal link
Lights, Cameras, Lenses, Empty pockets.

ZeroFiveOne
Joined Mar 2007
138 posts
Gulf Coast
[MORE/SHARE]

folville wrote in post #3305556external link
Ok, here are some samples. Let me first say that this lens is sharp and extremely good at producing pleasing colors and contrast. None of the following photos has any PP at all other than resizing.

http://img69.imageshac​k.us ...p?image=img6137webq​u4.jpgexternal link
Also of note is the incredible distance at which this lens can focus. The shot of the birdbath made me put two of my fingers between the birdbath and the lens, and that was it. I do that because I'm afraid of scratching the objective element on something because I'm fairly confident that I would actually hit the object before the lens failed to focus on it. I'll see if I can also find a sample of flare in this lens, which I feel is the best that i've even seen.

Thanks for taking the time to post those examples. I was wondering why your fingers were in that shot. Amazing that it will focus that close:eek:

Post #10, Jun 02, 2007 10:34:05

My Gear

Kickstart
Joined Oct 2005
382 posts
Stafford, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi

I bought one but haven't yet had a chance to use it for its intended purpose.

It is quite fun to use. Especially for extremely unflattering portraits.

This was the underside of a bridge (cropped a bit):-

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk ...nds/Bridge%201024x7​68.jpgexternal link

This is of one of our bikes. You can see a fair bit of purple fringing on the left where the light was coming from.

http://www.alfa-pages.co.uk/TempPictur​e/FishEyeFull.JPGexternal link

Down side is that it is very easy to get bits of yourself in the shot.

All the best

Keith

Post #11, Jun 02, 2007 17:26:26 as a reply to ZeroFiveOne's post 6 hours earlier.

Gear List

sponsored links
Kickstart
Joined Oct 2005
382 posts
Stafford, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi

One thing I have noticed is that it makes cloudy skys far more interesting. Adds more contrast between the clouds and the bits between them.

All the best

Keith

Post #12, Jun 04, 2007 16:03:20 as a reply to Kickstart's post 1 day earlier.

Gear List

jcw122
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
1,940 posts
West Chester, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

So amazing, though the Peleng is half the price....

Post #13, Jun 19, 2007 01:00:40

"Ill show you."-John Hammond
Gear List
:D "YES! I AM INVINSIBLE!"-Boris

mophoto
Hatchling
Joined Jun 2006
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

folville wrote in post #3305556external link

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://img69.imageshac​k.us ...p?image=img6137webq​u4.jpg]external link
this is to give you an idea of the sort of bokeh this lens produces

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://img69.imageshac​k.us ...mage=sharpnesstestu​t0.jpg]external link
This should also give you an idea of the sharpness this lens has. It is focused just a bit behind the edge of the surface of the birdbath. It is wide open at f/3.5.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://img475.imagesha​ck.us ...?image=fisheyesky2s​h7.jpg]external link
Gawk at the colors this lens can reproduce without a c-pol (which would be hard to attach, i suppose).

Folville-
I notice your first and third shots have black vignetting in the corners- how do you avoid that? I just bought the 8mm for my canon 20D and noticed the same thing. When I called B&H they said the lens may be defective?? Is that right? I don't want the vignetting and if that's normal, maybe I should try the Tokina 10-17mm--- what do you think?
Thanks!!

Post #14, Jul 04, 2007 13:31:41

wimg
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
6,590 posts
Netherlands, EU
[MORE/SHARE]

mophoto wrote in post #3486265external link
Folville-
I notice your first and third shots have black vignetting in the corners- how do you avoid that? I just bought the 8mm for my canon 20D and noticed the same thing. When I called B&H they said the lens may be defective?? Is that right? I don't want the vignetting and if that's normal, maybe I should try the Tokina 10-17mm--- what do you think?
Thanks!!

I am not Folville, but I can answer your question regardless :).

The guy you spoke to at B&H clearly hasn't got a clue.

Essentially, the Sigma (and Peleng) 8 mm fisheyes are circular fisheyes, for FF. This means they project their image in a circle just fitting within the 24 mm height of a 24 X 36 mm frame. Actually, this circle is about 23 mm in diameter, resulting in a circular image with black all aroun dit for the rest of the frame size.

If you superimpose the APS-C sensor over the centre of this circle, you'll find that the diagonal of the sensor is just a little larger than the image projected, hence resulting in black corners on an APS-C sensor.

So, while the diagonal is still a 180 degree AoV, it does have the side effect of black corners.

If you want the frame to be filled completely, you'll need a 180 degree diagonal fisheye for APS-C, which indeed is the Tokina 10-17 at 10 mm. And it is the only one of its kind, as the Pentax design, the original, is essentially optically the same.

Furthermore, IMO the zoom function is a gimmick, because you'll want to use at 10 mm, 180 degree AoV normally, except for one side benefit: at 12-13 mm it is a 180 degree diagonal fisheye for APS-H, and at 15 mm for FF. 3 lenses for the price of one :).

Anyway, HTH, kind regards, Wim

Post #15, Jul 04, 2007 14:13:59

5D Mk II, 1D Mk III, with a solitary zoom and a gaggle of primes, GF-2 with 3 primes and 3 zooms, G10, an accessory plague, and some analog stuff

LIST NEARBY THREADS
47,857 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 8mm F/3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES