Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports
Thread started 13 Dec 2004 (Monday) 13:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hockey - In Todd We Trust

Ronin
153 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Dec 13, 2004 13:42 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Brad May and Friends Charity Hockey Challenge game with the NHL stars/Vancouver Giants.

Those of you who follow hockey will know the significance of Todd Bertuzzi showing up at this game...

Canon EOS-5D Mark III
Vancouver, BC

sponsored links
Ronin
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Dec 13, 2004 13:44 |  #2

Wha...what happened to the IMG code?

Canon EOS-5D Mark III
Vancouver, BC

MT
453 posts
Joined Mar 2004
Missouri, USA
Dec 13, 2004 13:47 as a reply to Ronin's post |  #3

Go to User CP in options in the "Thread Display Options" - check "Show Images".

elbirth
Goldmember
1,885 posts
Joined Jul 2003
North Carolina
Dec 13, 2004 13:51 as a reply to MT's post |  #4

that's a cool shot
was he just standing there, or sliding across the ice slowly?

5D Mark II, Leica M8
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM
POTN Strap, Domke J3 bag

flickrexternal link

RinkRat
773 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Near Philadelphia
Dec 13, 2004 14:09 as a reply to elbirth's post |  #5

elbirth wrote:
that's a cool shot
was he just standing there, or sliding across the ice slowly?

I'm guessing it is during the National Anthem.

Nice Shot.

I wonder if he is afraid to be standing in a dark arena by himself like that? :)

I still like Bert.

www.postorino.comexternal link

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Dec 13, 2004 14:46 as a reply to RinkRat's post |  #6

Very nice! Was that at GM Place?
I still think if Todd played in another time (like 20 years ago) what he did would have resulted in a penalty and that is about it. I think he got too much punishment. I've seen far, FAR worse in the 30 years I've watched hockey. It's just that what happened to the opposing player was a bit of a fluke, and resulted in a scary injury. So much media attention now. And I'm not even a fan of his, so I'm unbiased.
Very nice picture btw. It's definately a keeper for a hockey fan.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

HJMinard
Goldmember
2,319 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Port Huron, Michigan, U.S.A.
Dec 13, 2004 21:47 as a reply to drisley's post |  #7

drisley wrote:
I still think if Todd played in another time (like 20 years ago) what he did would have resulted in a penalty and that is about it. I think he got too much punishment. I've seen far, FAR worse in the 30 years I've watched hockey. It's just that what happened to the opposing player was a bit of a fluke, and resulted in a scary injury.

:-x

20, 30 years ago or now ... attacking someone from behind is punkish, thuggish and cowardly. Fluke or not, he is 100 percent responsible for intentional actions that resulted in severe injuries to another human being ... potentially ending his career and livlihood. He got what he deserved, and he knows it. I give him credit for not whining about his punishment (if he has ... the news hasn't reached here).

By the way ... it is a very nice shot. Moody ... I like it.

~ Jay ~
Canon EOS 20D ... lenses and stuff
Without the Way, there is no going; Without the Truth, there is no knowing; Without the Life, there is no living. <><
Help remove children from poverty: Compassionexternal link

ilya
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Sep 2003
Princeton, NJ
Dec 13, 2004 22:02 as a reply to HJMinard's post |  #8

three fractured vertebrae, facial cuts, post-concussion symptoms and amnesia.

god yes please lets make a martyr out of a coward. i can't believe he got a standing ovation. what the hell is wrong with this country.

I had a league game last night and someone crosschecked me from behind ... the bench heard my back crack ... so i'm feeling especially sheepish. f that.

1D Mark II and stuff

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Dec 15, 2004 00:43 as a reply to ilya's post |  #9

I tell you what. He punched the guy with his gloves on, and the other guy knew he was there.
I see the EXACT thing happen many, many times in a hockey season, and I see a LOT worse!
As I said, the result was sad, and it was a fluke. When pitchers in baseball hurl a 100mph fastball at someone's head, now that is barbaric. But they just call it a "brushback". Getting hit in the face with a 100mph baseball will routinely result in more damage than a punch in the head with a padded hockey glove. This result was just a fluke.
I've seen players like Pavel Bure run full speed at an unsuspecting player, jump in the air, and crosscheck the player across the head with his stick. No suspension. In fact, very little was said.
That was many years ago before hockey was put under the media microscope. I've seen one NHL player chop another across the head with his stick, much like he was chopping wood. Very little was mentioned. Again this was in the NHL about 20 years ago.
I routinely see scrums around the net where a defenseman skates into the fray and punches a player in the back of the head (exactly what Todd did). But again, USUALLY nothing happens.
I am not a fan of Todd Bertuzzi, so I am not biased. I am just a hockey fan, and a knowledgable hockey fan at that (if I do say so myself). This situation was blown way out of proportion, and the results (criminal charges?!) were way too much in my opinion. I feel bad for the injured player, but these things do happen, unfortunately.
And anyone who knows anything about the type of player will tell you Bertuzzi isn't a coward (again, I'm not a Bertuzzi fan at all).

ilya
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Sep 2003
Princeton, NJ
Dec 15, 2004 07:17 as a reply to drisley's post |  #10

I guess that's the difference in the view of someone who is a knowledgeable fan versus someone who has actually played hockey all their life.

If you ever suit up, you'll understand. If your kids play, which mine will, you'll get it.

I love a good clean check, I love to give them, and I don't get upset when I get them.

What's happened in the last 20 years is that the game got dirty. And if someone needs to be made an example of, I can hardly think of any that were more qualified. There is the cause and the effect. Just because others got lucky only means that it condones unsportsmanlike conduct.

Hockey is a rough sport, but it's never ok to accomodate acts of random violence. There is a difference between tough and physical play and this.

This has nothing to do with photography though.

1D Mark II and stuff

dewmuw
Cream of the Crop
6,024 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Wirral, UK
Dec 15, 2004 08:37 |  #11

I've never heard of Todd and I have no idea what he did - but it's a great pic.

Damian Waters
www.drumimages.co.ukexternal link

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Dec 15, 2004 13:13 as a reply to ilya's post |  #12

ilya wrote:
I guess that's the difference in the view of someone who is a knowledgeable fan versus someone who has actually played hockey all their life.

Nope, not only have I watched hockey at the midget, jr level, and pro level, since I was 5, I've PLAYED hockey all my life! The vast majority of people who overreacted to the Bertuzzi "punch" are people who watch a few NHL games a year, and that is about it.
What Bertuzzi did happens in almost every game, however the result was an unfortunate accident. It wasn't "out of the blue". The hurt player knew what was happening, he just refused to fight Bertuzzi, and as he skated away, Bertuzzi skated after him and "punched" him with his glove out of frustration. I see this all the time. Unfortunately, the player hit the ice akwardly and recieved an unusually serious injury.
I have nephews who play hockey, and honestly if the exact same thing happened to one of them, I would be horrified, but I would not villify the other player. On the other hand, if another player rammed one of them from behind into the boards, or cross checked them across the face with a stick (as Gary Suter did to Paul Karia once and barely recieved a slap on the wrist as punishment), I would be insanely angry.
However, having said all that, I still respect other people's opinions on the subject, even if I dont agree with them.

HJMinard
Goldmember
2,319 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Port Huron, Michigan, U.S.A.
Dec 15, 2004 14:33 as a reply to drisley's post |  #13

drisley wrote:
What Bertuzzi did happens in almost every game, however the result was an unfortunate accident. It wasn't "out of the blue". The hurt player knew what was happening, he just refused to fight Bertuzzi, and as he skated away, Bertuzzi skated after him and "punched" him with his glove out of frustration. I see this all the time. Unfortunately, the player hit the ice akwardly and recieved an unusually serious injury.

Drisley, I don't necessarily disagree with your characterization of the event in question and I agree that similar actions occur in almost every NHL game. However, that doesn't make it right or okay. Punching someone in the back of the head - glove or no glove - is an action that is outside the rules of the game. Sure ... its done all the time ... but when he made the choice to act outside the rules he was completely responsible for any consequences of his actions. As you know, many of the rules are there to protect the players. If an injury occurs due to actions within the rules, it's unfortunate but it happens. Intentionally break the rules and someone gets hurt ... punishment should be severe, whether the injury was intended or not.

~ Jay ~
Canon EOS 20D ... lenses and stuff
Without the Way, there is no going; Without the Truth, there is no knowing; Without the Life, there is no living. <><
Help remove children from poverty: Compassionexternal link

Peter16
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Dec 21, 2004 14:00 as a reply to HJMinard's post |  #14

Great picture!

Gloves off, stick down, he challenged the Chiefs!

mrmerick
Joined Nov 2004
Lake Tahoe
Dec 21, 2004 15:54 |  #15

first off nice pic. sets a very somber tone if you know the history of Bertuzzi.
Second, i played some smi pro for in-line leagues, although not as rough as pro ice, there still is plenty of hitting going on, and not all of it by any means "fair". Once you play any defense you know just how much cheap shotting goes on practically all the time. While it definately was unfortunate that the injury happened it wasn't a really bad shot. I've had much worse done to me and come out with no injuries except a bad back. Another point is that it was the NHL on a televised game. There was a minor league game several years ago where a player hit another baseball style swing with his stick. Estimated speed of his stick was around 60 miles an hour. This didn't make much news but nearly killed the player, he had a grade three concussion, and from what i understand is grade 4 is death. But because it was minor league and not televised not much was heard about it. I do believe he was dealt with by the law much harsher than the league but not sure on that. I don't condone what Bertuzzi did, i played clean defense and hated cheap shots, but it is an unsortunate part of the game. And again nice picture.

sponsored links

4,393 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hockey - In Todd We Trust
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.