Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of August 2007 (Mon)   #1
-PAN-

Default Can't choose! Help!

Can't choose! Help!What to choose, between

Canon PowerShot SD850 IS
(Digital IXUS 950 IS)

and

Canon PowerShot G7

I want to be able to take nice daily life shots while I also want it to be able to take pictures in water (like scuba diving). I think the occasion of my diving will be rarely too. What do you guys say?
-PAN- is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of August 2007 (Mon)   #2
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Default Re: Can't choose! Help!

I would go with the G7 for the following reasons:
The G7 has a slightly longer reach. (140 vs. 210)
The G7 supports manual focus. I know itís not used much, but having that flexibility is nice just in case you ever need it.
The G7 has a faster lens (5.8 vs 5.5) Not a huge difference but zoomed out the faster lens is nice.
G7 has better macro capabilities.
G7 has a faster max shutter also supports aperture and shutter priority modes
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of August 2007 (Mon)   #3
teekay

They are both very different cameras (apart from the fact they are made by Canon) so I suggest you compare the specs of both at Dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Then try holding each in your hand at a store if possible, then decide which suits your particular needs best - only you can do that.

And of course each is capable of taking fine photos
teekay is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of August 2007 (Mon)   #4
-PAN-

Haha, alright. I got what u mean. thanks teekay. I'll go to the store and waste the sellers' time a bit.
-PAN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of August 2007 (Tue)   #5
Master-9

G7 all the way.....

Canon 40D+ BG-E2N, Canon 20D, Canon PowerShot G12, Canon PowerShot G7, Canon Rebel(Film)EF-S 18-55mm f4-5.6, EF 28mm f2.8, EF 50mm f1.8 Mk I, EF 85mm f1.8 USM, EF 24-70 f2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f4L USM, Canon Speedlite 420 EX
Master-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of August 2007 (Tue)   #6
touchmyichi

I think you need to set your priorities before you consider either of these cameras. These are two completely different cameras that shouldn't really be pitted against each other. First, I would decide what market exactly you are in. Do you want something really light and pocketable (The SD850 is nearly half the weight of the G7) to possibly complement a larger camera? Or are you willing to sacrifice some portability and weight for the wide set of features and improvement in quality?

The G7 is obviously a "better" camera as far as taking pictures goes, but it's also in a completely different and much higher end segment. Figure out which suits your needs more, they are both fine cameras.

touchmyichi is offline   Reply With Quote