Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 10 Jan 2005 (Monday) 19:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Big Kahuna

RockOne
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Dec 2004
New South Wales,Australia
Jan 10, 2005 19:57 |  #1

G'Day.
This machine is nicknamed the Big Kahuna, and wieghs in at approximately 6000 tonnes. It moves rock 200 tonnes at a time, uncovering coal in the process.
Can you spot the figure in the picture :-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Steve
EOS300D / EOS30Dx2 / 100-400 L / EF-S 17-55IS /A75 / 75-300mmII / 18-55mm / 28-80mm / 50mm 1.8II / 50-500mm / FinePix S9500. :rolleyes:

sponsored links
iowahawkeye6
159 posts
Joined Sep 2004
Las Vegas
Jan 10, 2005 20:08 |  #2

The size of that thing is incredible, the bulldozer looks like a toy. Wow........

We've taken care of everything, the words you read, the songs you sing, the pictures that bring pleasure to your eyes!

RockOne
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Jan 10, 2005 20:37 |  #3

It sure is big. That dozer is the largest made by Cat. The top of the mast in the Big Kahuna is around 80 metres above the ground

Steve
EOS300D / EOS30Dx2 / 100-400 L / EF-S 17-55IS /A75 / 75-300mmII / 18-55mm / 28-80mm / 50mm 1.8II / 50-500mm / FinePix S9500. :rolleyes:

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003
Temporarily Retired
Jan 10, 2005 22:03 |  #4

RockOne wrote:
Can you spot the figure in the picture :-)

I think I can see him. He's standing in front of the thing, near the cables that are going down into the hole. :lol:

That thing sure is big!

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.netexternal link | Weekly Pioneerexternal link | Facebookexternal link
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

Mills
Goldmember
4,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Chicago, Illinois
Jan 11, 2005 02:21 as a reply to thomascanty's post |  #5

Huge. What Can't it move??

Mills
1D Mark II & 5D
50 f1.4 16-35 f2.8L 24-70 f2.8L 70-200 f2.8L IS 580 EX & 550 EX Gitzo Mono & Tri Pods Apple iMac G5 & 17 Inch Powerbook

Box Alarm Imagesexternal link
http://www.myspace.com​/millz11external link Just to see some fun camera phone stuff.:p

RockOne
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Jan 11, 2005 04:36 |  #6

Ha Thomas, you've nailed it...no prizes though unfortunately

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'
mills - basically its function is just to undercover coal. It walks along when it needs to move at around 0.1 km/h or so
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

If anyones interested heres a link to a site which shows one of these under construction at Estevan in Canada.

http://www.minepro.com ...ine_erection/esteva​n.html (external link)

And the person is much easier to see in this closeup, the machine looks like it could do with a good wash though
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
!

HOSTED PHOTO

Steve

dewmuw
Cream of the Crop
6,024 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Wirral, UK
Jan 11, 2005 07:32 as a reply to RockOne's post |  #7

I'd love to see a shot of the breakdown truck for this thing! :)

Damian Waters
www.drumimages.co.ukexternal link

stoneylonesome
Barn Stormer
10,460 posts
Joined Aug 2003
Connecticut, USA
Jan 11, 2005 11:38 as a reply to dewmuw's post |  #8

Yup! now that's what I call a shovel. great photos of it.

the name is Winston but they call me Sandy
"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Flowing River Photosexternal link

Youngster
267 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Finland
Jan 11, 2005 11:45 |  #9

:shock:

That's a friggin hotel!

Nice shot!

5D MK II | 350D | 24-105mm L | 50mm 1.4 | Sigma 10-20mm

dispatchermike21
If you do it right, it doesn't hurt at all.
Joined Dec 2004
My 40D Burst Rate is Hitting 6.5 FPS in the Pacific NW
Jan 11, 2005 17:19 |  #10

I want one!

To take Pictures is a gift to post them on POTN is an Honor.

http://msunderlin.smug​mug.com/external link

Dimitry
Goldmember
1,038 posts
Joined Oct 2004
Toronto, Canada
Jan 11, 2005 22:46 |  #11

Cool shots! Do I see an office in those windows to the right? Sure looks like one! Now that's what I call cost saving measures. Having a mobile offices, right where the workers are! Now that'll get the management involved with the working class! LOL :D

Gear list
My most favourite tool: my improving creativity! :cool: :D

RockOne
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Jan 12, 2005 05:25 |  #12

G'Day. Heres another picture, showing the business end

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Dewmuw - somebody must have though the same as you when they built it
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
, because the two rails out the back of the machine run through the inside of the machine and carry an overhead crane so if anything needs to be reapired it can be easily (relatively) moved in or out.
Sandy - it s a sort of shovel. True "shovels" in mines though are similar to pic 2 below (what most people often refer to as "Steam shovels"). This one has a broken tooth, which the operator is sitting on awaiting "the dentist"
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
! It is powered (like the dragline) by electricty supplied from a substation via a cable, which can be seen feeding into the back of the machine. This machine is capable of loading a 240 tonne capacity truck in 4 passes.

Youngster - thats a novel use for it. The Big kahuna Hilton
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
. Not much of a view though
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

dispatchermike21 - I don't want one...no where to keep it. I'll just be the temporary custodiaon of whats its worth though, before kindy passing it on to canon. You could easily have one of every EF lens in the catalogue, plus a separate 1series body on each I would think
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
! Cost was $55 Million
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

Dimitry - does look like a set of offices (Even looks like a very big photocopier in there
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
), but its really just full of machinery, electric motors, cable drums etc. There are however crew rest rooms with all facilities including microwave oven !
The structures on top with "windows" contain suction fans which pump filtered air into the machine to keep positive air pressure within the machine to prevent dust from getting in and seizing the motors
Also the booms are filled with an inert gas (neon) which is monitored by pressure guages, so that if any welds are starting to crack the pressure drops, and action can be taken quickly to prevent structural failure, which wouldn't be a pretty sight
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Steve

sponsored links

3,354 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Big Kahuna
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.