Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 22 Aug 2007 (Wednesday) 20:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do most pro's shoot Raw?

mkuriger
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined May 2007
Valencia, California
Aug 24, 2007 10:39 |  #16

I shoot raw + Small jpeg, and I hardly ever need the raw unless I'm printing.

Michael Kuriger
My Myspaceexternal link
ikekuriger@gmail.com
Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 30D | Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS | Canon 70-200mm F4L | Canon 24-70mm F2.8L

sponsored links
Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Central Iowa, USA
Aug 24, 2007 12:25 |  #17

If I was still shooting for a newspaper: jpeg
Currently shooting portraits: RAW
Family snaps: jepg

lanceshuey.comexternal link
flickrexternal link
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

Jon, ­ The ­ Elder
teaching fish to ride a bicycle
2,490 posts
Joined Oct 2004
Warren, Michigan
Aug 24, 2007 12:49 as a reply to Halliday's post |  #18

I don't know what most do........but I do.

A 40D, a 30D, some nice glass and a great Shooting Partner.
"...As in music, so in life."

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005
3rd Rock from the Sun
Aug 24, 2007 17:27 |  #19

I don't consider myself a PRO. But I do have a little photography business that I do generate some small income. Most of the time I try to shoot RAW especially when I have time to compose. But if the subject/occasion requires quick work, I shoot with jpg. RAW has superior tonal and colour production tho. But sometimes u gotta do what u gotta do.

Vancouver Portrait Photographerexternal link
No toys. Just tools.external link :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?!external link

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003
southern Alberta, Canada
Aug 26, 2007 00:40 as a reply to delhi's post |  #20

The quick answer is that it depends. RAW should never be used as a crutch. Those photographers that say "get it close and then fix it in the RAW conversion" are doomed and headed for failure. Those that use RAW as a way of using the same shot for a variety of purposes are using it the way it was intended.

In reality if you can nail your exposure at the time of shooting there is no need for RAW. If I find that a jpg that I might have shot requires more work than I had anticipated the first thing that I do is save it as a TIF or PSD, do my work on it and then move it back to jpg. I have shots from my 1DMKII that were shot in JPG and then subsequently printed to 24X30 and the prints are awesome. It can be done.

I used to shoot all my weddings in RAW but now I do them in jpg. Very very rarely am I ever selling anything larger than 16X20 and for this size down jpg works just fine. It does require that we pay close attention to exposure at the time of shooting but this is really not that big of a deal.

I guess the short answer for me is it depends on what the deliverables are and the associated time line. If I have to deliver within 48 hours and there are lots of shots, I will go with jpg. If time is not of the essence then RAW will come into play.

With the ability to edit jpg's in ACR 4.1 it also becomes less of an issue. I don't have alot of options set in camera for the jpg. Much like a RAW file I will do my own post processing on these if I have to. My shooting is fairly consistent within any given shoot. I can sharpen the first image while recording the settings to an action. If that is all I have to do then I batch the balance of the shots with this action.

RAW is a great tool when used properly. I will always shoot JPG when I know that I can as there is a time saving element in it and even if one had the time why go through another routine if you don't have to.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Duncan, BC, Canada
Aug 26, 2007 00:42 |  #21

Always. jpeg never.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

Matt57
199 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Kentucky, USA
Aug 26, 2007 02:54 |  #22

Well, with this kind of photography- where you do the best you can and go home hoping for some keepers- raw. Yeah they take lots of space but you're probably only going to keep 4 or 5 from 30pics. Delete the craptastic ones and PS the 4-5 keepers.

Now, in important shots - say, that you're getting paid for- also shoot raw. Each one, or most, have to count and you need all the flexibility and "forgivness" the PP'ing will alot you.

Future 40D owner!! Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 18-55 lens, Canon 50mm 1.8II, Canon 10-22mm
Real Estate & Development Property Photography

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,950 posts
Joined Jan 2005
S Yorks UK
Aug 26, 2007 03:02 |  #23

No-one can speak for all Pro's; but it might help if you understand what RAW will give you.

Latitude for exposures and latitude for WB. Slightly improved colour depth.

A working pro should understand exposure well enough to not need that latitude.

So that just leaves the WB; if the job means working in varying lighting conditions, RAW will mean that you don't need to worry about WB at the time of shooting and can quickly fix it later. Therefore, shooting RAW is generally quicker for pro's on these jobs. That counts for ALL wedding photographers but very few others, not that all WPs shoot RAW, some have other ways they prefer to work.

The improved colour depth could be advantageous for 'fine art' shooters.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

jevidon
Goldmember
1,501 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Aug 26, 2007 03:05 |  #24

i've stuck to RAW from very early on. I like having my workflow and archive remain uniform - switching back and forth between JPG and RAW would throw a wrench in that. Even during the last few months while I have been shooting freelance as my sole source of income, I never find myself needing to speed up my workflow. My advice (as is probably posted a number of times around POTN) is to get the DAM book. I couldn't imagine keeping my photos organized without that system and it has greatly reduced the amount of time I take between downloading the photos from the CF card and delivering them in finished format.

Justin Evidon
Minneapolis, MN
http://www.justinevido​n.comexternal link

mikeearly
Joined Aug 2007
Chester, VA
Aug 26, 2007 05:39 as a reply to jevidon's post |  #25

I think it really depends on what kind of photography you are doing ... I am a wildlife and nature photographer and I always shoot raw (ever since I started with raw capture about 10 years ago).

To me, the raw capture is very similar to the negative and I want the maximum capability to fine tune that medium when I am making my prints --- and only raw gives me that capability. It is not converted by what the camera thinks should be done, but I have the control to set it up the way I want and can save it as 16 bit and in a ProPhoto color space which gives me the maximum flexibility to work with the image. It is what has worked best for me over these past years.

In addition, as the software has improved I have been able to go back to my old files and pull out "better" prints from those old files / "negatives".

A different type of shooter / post processor my not feel the same way however, I just now this has worked great for me.

Mike Early
http://www.mdephoto.co​mexternal link

FotOz
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Aug 26, 2007 06:13 |  #26

Itzy Itz wrote in post #3778275external link
Shoot in RAW as much as you can, keep plenty of CF cards though, and remember you can always salvage something from a RAW file but maybe not from a jpg. Light Room is fast and easy to use and makes processing RAW files faster than any other way (excluding Aperture) of course. As you take more photos you will work out when you can get away with just shooting jpg but for anything you do for a client RAW is the best protection for a successful outcome.

. . . and for a successful INcome! ;-)a

. . . Steve . . .
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fotoshoppeexternal link
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.

FotOz
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Aug 26, 2007 06:15 |  #27

cdifoto wrote in post #3777749external link
LOL. Thanks for the new signature. :D

Glad you like it. It's one of my original quotes. You're welcome to it! :)

. . . Steve . . .
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fotoshoppeexternal link
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.

PG07
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
Australia
Aug 26, 2007 07:39 as a reply to FotOz's post |  #28

Thanks for all the replies:)
When you say you get better colour depth with Raw does this mean the finished photo is printed from a Raw file or converted to jpeg still?
All the minilabs I have used only take jpegs.

"The poetry of photgraphy will always be more important than mechanics of the camera... you see the picture is taken with the eye,the heart.The most sophisticated camera in the world can never replace this." Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Peter:) canon400D 18-55 , 50mm 1.8,75-300,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 EX OS HSM , 430EX II ,Lowepro slingshot 200AW. Sony a6000 , Sigma 30mm 1.4 e-mount, 17-50 kit and 55-200 kit.

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006
Columbia SC
Aug 26, 2007 11:51 |  #29

Many press photographers shot JPEG for speed.

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.ukexternal link
www.sageworld.orgexternal link
www.sagephotoworld.comexternal link
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavensexternal link

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

saturnin
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Joined Apr 2006
vancouver, BC
Aug 26, 2007 14:02 |  #30
banned

all depends.. sometimes only .jpg somtiems only raw and othetimes raw+jpg

if its for print or if i want HQ i shot raw since 30D jpg only does 72dpi and i've had a test print made from 72dpi 11x14 and it was jaggy up close... so then i bumped it to 300dpi and took the size down and the difference was noticable. So thats my story and i'm sticking to eeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

http://www.saturninflo​yd.tumblr.comexternal link samples
http://www.asphaltjunk​iez.comexternal link - award winning filmmaker - 3 documentaries done, more to go. I'm not wasting this 1 life.
Gear is gear, gotta do wif what you got! This forum makes me bite my tongue like no other forum i've ever been on :)

sponsored links

3,615 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do most pro's shoot Raw?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.