Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 21 Jan 2005 (Friday) 21:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

river boat

les_au
Joined Jan 2005
mildura, victoria, australia
Jan 21, 2005 21:06 |  #1

been looking around this forum for a bit and though i would try out some of the artistic functions on my camera. it's a shame that the subject here has a modern engine not the old steam type. the boat that normally does this cruise is the real deal though

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

gear list

sponsored links
sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,161 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Montrose, CO
Jan 23, 2005 19:53 |  #2

Why, that boat is going up hill!

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1external link)

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

les_au
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Jan 23, 2005 23:57 as a reply to sparker1's post |  #3

sparker1 wrote:
Why, that boat is going up hill!

it is not, i have noticed that too but it a case me going out for a "play" on the weekend and not setting up a tripod. silly photographer is not on flat ground.

gear list

Ed ­ Rotberg
620 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Nevada City, CA. USA
Jan 25, 2005 18:40 |  #4

les_au wrote:
been looking around this forum for a bit and though i would try out some of the artistic functions on my camera. it's a shame that the subject here has a modern engine not the old steam type. the boat that normally does this cruise is the real deal though

There are only 5 river boats left in the US that still operate with authentic steam engines powering the paddles. One of them is the Julia Belle Swain which is now based out of La Corsse, WI, but Peoria was her home port back in the 70's when I lived back there. Many other riverboats that still run have been converted over to diesel power.

= Ed =

Ed Rotberg
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind!"
My Galleryexternal link
My Gear

les_au
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Jan 28, 2005 00:20 as a reply to Ed Rotberg's post |  #5

Ed Rotberg wrote:
There are only 5 river boats left in the US that still operate with authentic steam engines powering the paddles. One of them is the Julia Belle Swain which is now based out of La Corsse, WI, but Peoria was her home port back in the 70's when I lived back there. Many other riverboats that still run have been converted over to diesel power.

= Ed =

This picture was take in Mildura, Australia, the boat that does this trip normally is the P.S melbourn and she is 100% steam powered. dunno how many more are still steam powered on the murray. it is run here as a bit of an attraction for the town

gear list

Ed ­ Rotberg
620 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Nevada City, CA. USA
Jan 28, 2005 00:27 as a reply to les_au's post |  #6

les_au wrote:
This picture was take in Mildura, Australia, the boat that does this trip normally is the P.S melbourn and she is 100% steam powered. dunno how many more are still steam powered on the murray. it is run here as a bit of an attraction for the town

How cool! Didn't realize you were down under. I also didn't realize that you had steam powered river boats there.

Having stayed in the Grampians in '93 on our way from the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide, we came fairly close to Mildura. I thought the Grampians were incredibly beautiful, and we saw more wildlife there than any of the other places we visited in Australia.

= Ed =

Ed Rotberg
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind!"
My Galleryexternal link
My Gear

les_au
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Jan 28, 2005 18:44 as a reply to Ed Rotberg's post |  #7

yeah the grampians are a pretty nice part of the world, they are about 3.5 hours from there, spent a long weekend down there befor i bought the digital camera. will return at some stage

gear list

sponsored links

2,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
river boat
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.