Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of January 2008 (Wed)   #1
ChrisGorabPhotography

Default G9 ND feature

How well does the ND filter feature on the G9 work? That is, compared to a physical 3-stop ND filter, how does the artificial feature on the G9 compare? Does anyone have experience using the two? Does anyone have examples to compare? Does anyone want to venture out and give it a shot for us to see?
ChrisGorabPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of January 2008 (Wed)   #2
CJinAustin
User is banned from forums

Default Re: G9 ND feature

I don't think it is artificial... I can visibly see it slide behind the lens when activated and it functions wonderfully.

It is a 3 stop filter so I think it would be like any other 3 stop filter... works fine.
CJinAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of January 2008 (Wed)   #3
ChrisGorabPhotography

Really? That's interesting. So, with a G9, you really don't have to go out and purchase a 3-stop filter to avoid overexposure if you want to increase your exposure time with a fixed aperature, right? Would buying one be a waste of time? Does anyone have any examples?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of January 2008 (Wed)   #4
Jman13
Cream of the Crop

Yeah, it's a real ND. If you activate it while looking down the lens you can see the filter slide into place. It's pretty cool.
Old 23rd of January 2008 (Wed)   #5
CJinAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtrashed View Post
Really? That's interesting. So, with a G9, you really don't have to go out and purchase a 3-stop filter to avoid overexposure if you want to increase your exposure time with a fixed aperature, right? Would buying one be a waste of time? Does anyone have any examples?
The filter is neutral, you won't be able to see anything in examples really,,, it just allows you to slow down your shutter time. You can keep the aperture wide open in sunlight etc... Yeah, it would probably be a waste of money imo
Old 24th of January 2008 (Thu)   #6
lukeeesteve

Wow...that's cool. I thought it was electronic. Would be nice if they could build in other filters like a polarizing filter that you could adjust with the dial
XSi, Kit Lens, Nifty 50, Tokina 11-16mm, Canon 200mm f2.8, Canon 100-300 f5.6, 420EX, 420EZ....and growing
lukeeesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of January 2008 (Thu)   #7
CJinAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeeesteve View Post
Wow...that's cool. I thought it was electronic. Would be nice if they could build in other filters like a polarizing filter that you could adjust with the dial
Yeah, that would be cool... I imagine they may do that at some point.
Problem is, with every additional moving part you have there is an increased risk of something breaking...
Old 27th of January 2008 (Sun)   #8
Broomer

After reading this thread I thought I'd try the ND filter on my G7.
First time I have used it, here's the results.
Taken in full midday sun, M mode, Av 8, Tv 1/13 and a tripod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8736ls.jpg (75.8 KB, 608 views)
Broomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of January 2008 (Mon)   #9
ChrisGorabPhotography

Broomer, that's a nice looking example of what the G9 can do with it's ND filter. Thank you. I'll have to fiddle around with it and see how it compares to external quality ND filters. Maybe using both.
Old 28th of January 2008 (Mon)   #10
CJinAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtrashed View Post
Broomer, that's a nice looking example of what the G9 can do with it's ND filter. Thank you. I'll have to fiddle around with it and see how it compares to external quality ND filters. Maybe using both.
I think they will be the same,,, but if you use another one you can of course slow things down even more...
Old 28th of January 2008 (Mon)   #11
Savas K

I'd like to see a camera with a built-in leveling device, instead of relying on cross hairs. I mean one that gives you feedback in the LCD. Sometimes, the scene is indistinct.
Savas K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of January 2008 (Mon)   #12
lukeeesteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savas K View Post
I'd like to see a camera with a built-in leveling device, instead of relying on cross hairs. I mean one that gives you feedback in the LCD. Sometimes, the scene is indistinct.
There is software out there that are quite good at that. I like the one in Picasa.
XSi, Kit Lens, Nifty 50, Tokina 11-16mm, Canon 200mm f2.8, Canon 100-300 f5.6, 420EX, 420EZ....and growing
lukeeesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of January 2008 (Tue)   #13
fortinaa

I actually discovered the ND filter when using the video function of the camera to take clips of a performance. With the spotlight, the subject was blown out. There weren't any settings it would let me change, so I activated the ND filter and voila! Video looked like it should have in the first place.

Gear List
fortinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of January 2009 (Tue)   #14
nathan3011

Broomer that is a really good pic i must say, where was it taken if you don't mind me asking??

I really want the G9 but at the moment Contractors Insurance just a little bit too expensive so i'm going to wait a bit and buy it when it comes down now!!

Last edited by nathan3011 : 7th of May 2009 (Thu) at 09:41.
nathan3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of January 2009 (Tue)   #15
ambroseliao

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortinaa View Post
I actually discovered the ND filter when using the video function of the camera to take clips of a performance. With the spotlight, the subject was blown out. There weren't any settings it would let me change, so I activated the ND filter and voila! Video looked like it should have in the first place.
That's a great idea, Aaron.

I had never thought of using the ND filter shooting videos. I had the same problem of blown highlights so couldn't figure out how to adjust it. Thanks for the idea.