Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Mar 2007 (Saturday) 20:00
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Did you find this helpful?"
Yes
91.8%
No
8.2%

159 voters, 159 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 55-200 vs Tamron 55-200 FULL REVIEW!

Nick_C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,042 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 27, 2008 12:50 |  #346

Try some shots wideopen, the copy I had was just as sharp wideopen as it was stopped down to say f/10, I think my copy was the norm as the Tamron I compared it against at the time was around the same level of sharpness, just had crappy build quality ;-)a

sponsored links
HighLife
661 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 27, 2008 14:52 |  #347

i posted some quick shots of the new lens in the "show me your pics" forum...which is here. All of these were taken wide open aperture (4-5.6)

Canon 590IS/CHDKMy Flickr (external link)

A8ch
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 30, 2008 06:48 as a reply to  @ post 2921042 |  #348

Excellent review keep up the good work! I was looking for a telephoto lens for my new Canon EOS400D /18-55 Kit purchase and found outstanding independent reviews for both of these lenses but only this one for both together, so very helpful.

Decided on the Tamron 55-200 Di II LD Macro in the end purely on price, I found it 25% cheaper than the Sigma at £64 inc p&p which I thought was an absolute bargain, moreover I am really pleased with the early results I am getting. :D

olly_k
641 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 30, 2008 10:45 |  #349

A8ch wrote in post #5222701 (external link)
Excellent review keep up the good work! I was looking for a telephoto lens for my new Canon EOS400D /18-55 Kit purchase and found outstanding independent reviews for both of these lenses but only this one for both together, so very helpful.

Decided on the Tamron 55-200 Di II LD Macro in the end purely on price, I found it 25% cheaper than the Sigma at £64 inc p&p which I thought was an absolute bargain, moreover I am really pleased with the early results I am getting. :D

You will have to give us some examples!

: 350D : Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 DC MACRO : Sigma 55-200 F4-5.6 DC : Sigma 70 -300 F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO : Kit 18-55 : Photax 300 f5.6 M42 (external link):
~ click for my 'scrapbook' (external link) ~ MY FLICKR (external link) ~

A8ch
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 30, 2008 16:05 as a reply to  @ olly_k's post |  #350

Check this out taken earlier, shot with lens wide open at 1/200 F11 with fill in flash.

http://i303.photobucke​t.com …nn135/A8ch/Spri​ngDaff.jpg (external link)

:)

HighLife
661 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 30, 2008 16:10 |  #351

wide open would be using the smallest F number for the range...in that case would be 5.6 at 200mm or 3.5 at 55mm

I use to get it mixed up all the time eheh

Also, the bokeh in that pic is weird...kinda kewl, i dunno..

Canon 590IS/CHDKMy Flickr (external link)

A8ch
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 30, 2008 16:25 as a reply to  @ HighLife's post |  #352

lol still got to get to grips with this terminology, thought wide open meant zoom at max.
Cam was set at auto at iso 200. Camera was hand held, tripod ordered and on its way, should make a big difference.

Be kind lol, I am an amateur returning to the hobby after 20 yrs, got just a bit of catching up to do!!

sponsored links

166,535 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 55-200 vs Tamron 55-200 FULL REVIEW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.