STICKY: When do I need a Release?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 12 May 2005 (Thursday) 01:53   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

IndyJeff
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,892 posts
Indianapolis, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

After reading thread after thread of people asking if they need a release or not and then, seeing advice which is anything but correct, has promted me to post these simple guidelines.

When do I need a release?

When you take a picture of someone or something and plan on selling it commercially for use in ads, for example, you need a release. It is not your image or property and everyone has a right to control the uses of both.

I want to shoot the local high school and sell to the players and parents. Do I need a release?

Technically, yes you might. However there is a thing called undue burden which could exempt you from getting a signed release from all athletes. In general your selling the images to the people themselves. Very few of these type images are bought by anyone other than the people in them.

What if I am selling photos I took of __________ (fill in the blank). Can I be sued?

Yes but, they must ask you to stop first. This is done in a letter known as a Cease & Desist. If you ignore it and continue to sell, then yes, you may very well be sued, and damn well you should be. They asked you to stop didn't they?

I shot ________ (fill in the blank), which was a public event. Can I sell these photos to the newpaper? I didn't get any signed releases? Can I sell them from my website?

So what if it was public or not, remember in the first answer above, EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO CONTROL THEIR IMAGE.
Yes, you can sell to the newspaper if, and only if, the images will be used in an editorial manner related to an article or as a filler with a caption that relates an accurate and true discription of the image. Doesn't matter if it is Johnny Depp the actor or Johnny Drip from down the street...editorial is fair game, for everyone.
If you had permission of the event organizer then yes, you may make those images available for purchase. However, once again remember, everyone controls the right to their own image and if they request you remove thier image you must.

I have been approached by XYZ company and they want to use one of my photos for an ad. I have no idea of who the people are that are the subject of the photo. Can I still sell this for the ad?

NO, absolutely not. What if the company tells you it will be an ad for fragrances with names which relate to young women. So you sell the image of two girls sitting on a park bench talking with fantastic floral gardens behind them and they are thinking they will use it for the one called "Spring Park". The ad comes out and it is about asking your girlfriend for her personal preference in condoms. Big difference huh? Guess who will probably get sued? Besides the ad company, the company making the fragrences, and you will be very high on the list for providing the image without a release. Now damges from that could be extensive, enough to ruin your life.

I went to the race track Sunday and got some great pictures. One of the sponsors wants to use it in an ad. Can I sell it to them?

Once again the answer is NO. Sure they can probably get a signed relase from the car owner, and the driver but, they will also need a release from the sanctioning body as well. Once they present you with a signed release, or a copy thereof, from the sanctioning body, the driver, and the car owner then, and only then are you in the clear.

I went to _______ pro/college game this weekend and got some great shots from my seats. Can I sell these from my website?

Are you nuts? Heck no you can't sell them, well at least not without getting a C&D letter followed by a lawsuit if you persist in continuing to sell them.

When do I need a release?

Anytime you sell an image which may be used in an ad or other display to attract business, other than editorial use. See undue burden above which may apply here.

Someone lifted one of my shots from my website, and is using it without permission on their website. It says right on my website "all images are the property of Rube Willoughby" or "all images are copyrighted" can I sue them or should I just send them a bill.

Did you register the images with the US Copyright Office? If not, your not standing on very firm ground. While you may own the image, legally, the law only allows for actual damages. Now if they normally pay $25 for a published picture, thats about all your going to get. No lawyer is gong to even consider taking that case.
If they are registered, the law allows for a greater amount of money. including reasonable attorney fees and court costs as well as punitive damages. I this case you will have plenty of attorneys wanting to talk with you.
Never, ever send them a bill without consulting with your attorney first. You are establishing a value to the image. What if they call you up and tell you to stick it where the sun don't shine? You call the attorney and tell him of the invoice and the amount. He may not be willing to take the case now that a value has been established by you which could limit your damage awards.

I need legal advice.

First off, you should never, ever, ever, take legal advice from someone posting on an internet forum. Today I am an attorney, tomorrow I might be a Hollywood producer and the next day a Doctor. Soon I may be a divorce councilor, who knows?
If you are serious about photography and the business side of it, take an afternoon and get an appointment with a local IP attorney, whether you need them now or not. Usually a first consultation is free, between 30-60 minutes. Explain that you need to establish a relationship with an attorney should the need for their services arise but, you do have some questions now.
Get to know this guy/gal. Maybe some company will send you a contract to sign before you do some work for them. It makes about as much sense to you as hyroglyphics (Ancient Egyptian writing) but, it all looks good. Your attorney may take a look and say all is good. No problem, probably cost you $50-75. He may also look and say "Whoooaaaaaa. what is this? Don't sign this under any circumstances. See this phrase, 'XYZ company is released from any and all damages or claims against it or any of it's agents for any reason in regards to images sold by your name here'? Something goes wrong and you just signed away any recourse you have to come back on them in case your sued over that image." Now just think if you were told it was for an ad for a fragrance called Spring Park and was of two girls you shot last spring in the park and the actual ad was for Her Choice Condoms. How much was that $75 consultation fee really worth?

Post #1, May 12, 2005 01:53:22

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
lomond
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2004
2,366 posts
Ayrshire, Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm no expert but that seems like very good advice.

One point, different countries have different laws so check first.
For example even parents can find it difficult, or even impossible here in the UK, to photograph there own children at a school sports day due to silly laws that imply the photographs may be used for the wrong reasons. ?!

Post #2, May 12, 2005 02:08:33

Cameron........My Imagesexternal link

symes
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
3,372 posts
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Indy Jeff,

I hope they make this a sticky. Thank you very much for this...

Your writing is a service to this form...

I have one question remaining. A fellow photographer has taken an image. I really like this image and have gone out and taken a similar photo. The photographer is no longer in the country and I have been asked for prints...Can I sell this?

Cheers,

Post #3, May 12, 2005 04:05:16

Symes
Symplicity Photographyexternal link Symplicity Glamourexternal link
5D Mark II; 1D Mark II; 17-40L; 24-70 2.8L; 70-200 IS 2.8L

sixshot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2005
1,350 posts
Guangzhou, China.
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Indy Jeff. Useful info that has arisen a few times.

Post #4, May 12, 2005 04:18:44

20D | 17-40mm L | Patience
Ben

IndyJeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,892 posts
Indianapolis, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

symes wrote:
Indy Jeff,

I hope they make this a sticky. Thank you very much for this...

Your writing is a service to this form...

I have one question remaining. A fellow photographer has taken an image. I really like this image and have gone out and taken a similar photo. The photographer is no longer in the country and I have been asked for prints...Can I sell this?

Cheers,

Hmmmmm, I can't answer that. I would say you could as long as there is no issue of a release hovering over the subject involved. However, if it is something that you flat out copied that is something you should speak with an attorney on.

Interesting question and one I don't really have an answer for.

Post #5, May 12, 2005 11:44:58 as a reply to symes's post 7 hours earlier.

sponsored links
pyterps
Joined Dec 2004
637 posts
Washington, DC
[MORE/SHARE]

IndyJeff,

I've been asked to take pictures at this years Booz Allen Classic Golf Tournament at the Volunteer tent. The pictures will be of the Volunteers which would be great if this is all I had to photograph. They could just buy an image right from me or visit my print room site and order it online. My question comes they the Volunteer will be posing next to a life size cutout of three professional golfers. Do I need some type of release to sell these photos? The volunteer commettee has asked me to take the pictures and I'm really confussed as to what I can and cannot do.

Dave

Post #6, May 22, 2005 18:58:37

1DS MK III, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 24-70 F2.8L, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 1.4 TC, Canon 580 EX, and lots of other stuff.

Ausdig
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2005
18 posts
Canberra AUS
[MORE/SHARE]

lomond, the situation is exactly the same in Australia re taking photos near, or of schools and pupils. Not that I would ever want to, but parents are virtually having to get police checks to photograph their own children whilst they are at school or any school event such as sports days or plays etc.

Post #7, Jun 15, 2005 06:55:53

Canon 300D

18-55mm
80-200mm
420EX Speedlite (its arrived, now to learn how to use it properly)
Circular polariser
and loads of enthusiasm :cool:

I ­ Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer
Joined Feb 2005
6,352 posts
On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes
[MORE/SHARE]

lomond wrote in post #545599external link
I'm no expert but that seems like very good advice.

One point, different countries have different laws so check first.
For example even parents can find it difficult, or even impossible here in the UK, to photograph there own children at a school sports day due to silly laws that imply the photographs may be used for the wrong reasons. ?!

The model releases in the UK used to be pretty simple (over 20 yrs ago when I used that kind iof thing)

Are UK model releases simple now or have they turned into legal tomes

If they are still reasonably simple could anyone who knows the correct terminology and wording post a UK version here please?

Post #8, Nov 23, 2006 04:15:07

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
Snaps external linkor Gear or ----external link

Trasmc
Joined Oct 2005
45 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

IndyJeff:

Thanks for this sticky - makes good sense to me. I do have a quick question about intent. If I had taken a picture of something that is then posted on my site - posted without any intention of selling - and someone has contacted me to see if they can purchase a copy - am I still needing a release? Common sense tells me yes, but just thought I would check.

The subject matter in this case is a ver well known tourist attraction.

From a fellow Indy area resident - thanks in advance!

Post #9, Jan 19, 2007 19:36:28 as a reply to I Simonius's post 1 month earlier.

I use a 20D with a Sigma 24-70 or a Sigma 70-200 or a Tamron 18-200 or a Nifty and from time to time a 430EX
Come visit me at:
www.brickstreetphotos.​comexternal link

thekid24
pro-zack-lee
Joined Oct 2006
8,545 posts
Oklahoma City,OK
[MORE/SHARE]

great advice.Thanks IndyJeff

Post #10, Jan 19, 2007 19:43:00

flickrexternal link

I ­ Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer
Joined Feb 2005
6,352 posts
On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes
[MORE/SHARE]

Trasmc wrote in post #2568565external link
IndyJeff:

Thanks for this sticky - makes good sense to me. I do have a quick question about intent. If I had taken a picture of something that is then posted on my site - posted without any intention of selling - and someone has contacted me to see if they can purchase a copy - am I still needing a release? Common sense tells me yes, but just thought I would check.

The subject matter in this case is a remarkably well known tourist attraction - in fact the centerpiece - of a pretty famous place in Orlando, FL. Yes - Disneyworld.

From a fellow Indy area resident - thanks in advance!

I would say that as soon as someone asks you to buy it the intent changes ;)

Post #11, Jan 20, 2007 04:26:14

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
Snaps external linkor Gear or ----external link

sponsored links
IndyJeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,892 posts
Indianapolis, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

Good news, a real life attorney has registered here and hopefully will post to this thread soon. Some of the things which I had been told may not necessarily be 100% correct. We have been having a discussion thur emails and it is pretty interesting. She hopefully will post in this thread soon. It will make for some interesting discussion and I look forward to her opinions.

Post #12, Jan 29, 2007 01:46:08 as a reply to I Simonius's post 8 days earlier.

Vinmum
Joined Aug 2006
50 posts
California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for all the great advice. I have a question maybe you pros can answer to help me out. ( I am still learning!) I did a shoot of a girl's birthday party at a store that does such things, and now there is a media company that publishes a local newspaper, that wants to publish the prints as well as the owner of the store wants to use the images for her ads to send out in a flyer and to display in her store. I know I need a model release for all 5 girls, and I am working on getting that from all the parents, my question is - is that sufficient? Can I then, with that one model release to me, use these prints and allow the newspaper, etc. to print them? Or do I need 3 seperate releases from all the parents, which seems like overkill?
Thanks so much for any input you can provide.
P.S. I love the suggestion of meeting with an IP attorney! Great idea - I will be doing that very soon!

Post #13, Jan 31, 2007 13:22:16

www.lauraalexander.comexternal link

IndyJeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,892 posts
Indianapolis, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

Vinmum wrote in post #2632086external link
Thanks for all the great advice. I have a question maybe you pros can answer to help me out. ( I am still learning!) I did a shoot of a girl's birthday party at a store that does such things, and now there is a media company that publishes a local newspaper, that wants to publish the prints as well as the owner of the store wants to use the images for her ads to send out in a flyer and to display in her store. I know I need a model release for all 5 girls, and I am working on getting that from all the parents, my question is - is that sufficient? Can I then, with that one model release to me, use these prints and allow the newspaper, etc. to print them? Or do I need 3 seperate releases from all the parents, which seems like overkill?
Thanks so much for any input you can provide.
P.S. I love the suggestion of meeting with an IP attorney! Great idea - I will be doing that very soon!

If the newspaper is running the shots as part of a story then no release is needed, that is editorial. Once you get the releases signed by all the parents you should be free to sell the images for advertising as you see fit.

Post #14, Jan 31, 2007 13:36:40

Vinmum
Joined Aug 2006
50 posts
California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks!
Also, does anyone have a sample model release that they use that they would like to share? I have one of my own but wonder how it compares?

Post #15, Jan 31, 2007 16:24:19

www.lauraalexander.comexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
83,777 views & 0 likes for this thread
When do I need a Release?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES