Best Alaska Photo Tours/Workshops???

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 24 May 2008 (Saturday) 16:36   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

canonsnob
Joined Aug 2007
48 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd like to go to Alaska this summer, but don't want to do the normal bus tour thing. Do you have any suggestions for a good photo tour or workshop?

Thanks.

Gary

Post #1, May 24, 2008 16:36:05

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Wild ­ Country
Joined Oct 2006
62 posts
Anchorage, Alaska
[MORE/SHARE]

Best way to do Alaska is on your own. I work in the hotel industry up here and see too many people on "chartered" trips being rushed to be at a certain place at certain times.

Rent a car. Drives you wanna do are Seward (about 2.5 hours from Anchorage), Homer (about 4 hours from Anchorage), Denali National Park (3 hours-ish), Girdwood/Whittier/Port​age (45 - 60 min).

If you have any questions, or need help with anything, drop me a PM and I'll help ya the best I can.

Post #2, May 31, 2008 13:12:07

Merlin ­ Driver
Joined May 2005
921 posts
Maypearl, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Isn't Homer there are a lot of Bald Eagles?

TIA,

Lynn

Post #3, May 31, 2008 14:56:44 as a reply to Wild Country's post 1 hour earlier.

Wild ­ Country
Joined Oct 2006
62 posts
Anchorage, Alaska
[MORE/SHARE]

Merlin Driver wrote in post #5631908external link
Isn't Homer there are a lot of Bald Eagles?

TIA,

Lynn

Sure is.

Post #4, May 31, 2008 15:00:33

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2004
29,045 posts
Seminole, Fl
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree it's best to go on your own, unless you just feel you have to have pro help. Anybody using the internet can find more than enough scenic places and get advice on best times, etc. I hate to be part of a crowd, adjusting to another's schedule, waiting a turn to see something, trying to keep people out of the scene, etc, etc. Then there's the cost of a workshop or tour. It ain't cheap.

Post #5, May 31, 2008 19:40:58

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1external link)

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

sponsored links
SilverHCIC
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
1,460 posts
Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Some great advice has already been given. ... Rent a car and get away from the beaten path. You will find that Alaska is HUGE. Sure, go ahead and take pics of the glacier, bald eagles, salmon fisheries, totem poles, etc., etc. ... But then try to get into the back country. Wake up EARLY and stay out LATE. Bring a macro lens if you have one. And the longest telephoto you have won't be long enough!! Have fun;)

Post #6, May 31, 2008 20:02:40 as a reply to sparker1's post 21 minutes earlier.

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

BillGil
Joined Jan 2005
245 posts
Encinitas, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Before we went to Alaska a friend who ran a campground there told me the Kenai Fjords National Pard boat tours were a must see. Turned out to be the highlight of our trip with great photo opps. Here is the link

http://www.kenaifjords​.com/external link

Have a great trip

Post #7, Jun 01, 2008 01:47:12

Bill

Canon 40D | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/4L IS l EF-S 10-22mm | 580EX II | Manfrotto 055PROXB w/488RC2 l Kata R-103 | Crumpler 6MDH

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2005
15,425 posts
Denver, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

See, now you're making me want to go there and if I go there, I'll probably move there and I'm hating the winter more and more these days...

:)
KAC

Post #8, Jun 01, 2008 06:23:52

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Pageexternal link - Photo Galleryexternal link - Art Print Galleryexternal link - Writing&Poetryexternal link
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Wild ­ Country
Joined Oct 2006
62 posts
Anchorage, Alaska
[MORE/SHARE]

kenyc wrote in post #5635376external link
See, now you're making me want to go there and if I go there, I'll probably move there and I'm hating the winter more and more these days...

:)
KAC

Winters here really arent all that bad. This past winter was more mild than Chicago's.

Post #9, Jun 01, 2008 15:46:02

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2005
15,425 posts
Denver, CO
[MORE/SHARE]

Stop it I say! Stop it!

:) :) :)

KAC

Post #10, Jun 01, 2008 15:55:36

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Pageexternal link - Photo Galleryexternal link - Art Print Galleryexternal link - Writing&Poetryexternal link
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Orogeny
Joined Aug 2003
697 posts
Houston, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Wild Country wrote in post #5631473external link
Best way to do Alaska is on your own. I work in the hotel industry up here and see too many people on "chartered" trips being rushed to be at a certain place at certain times.

Rent a car. Drives you wanna do are Seward (about 2.5 hours from Anchorage), Homer (about 4 hours from Anchorage), Denali National Park (3 hours-ish), Girdwood/Whittier/Port​age (45 - 60 min).

That is just what we are doing. We are flying into Anchorage 6/7 and driving to Denali on 6/9 for about 4 days of exploring. Back to Anchorage with trips to Seward/Homer and other places yet to be deterimined.

Tim

Post #11, Jun 04, 2008 12:13:36

There's someone in my head, and it's not me! - Roger Waters

www.flickr.com/photos/​orogenyexternal link

sponsored links
dphillips81
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
1,252 posts
Seward, AK
[MORE/SHARE]

I would say, do it on your own. There are plenty of beautiful B&B's in every town, and most people are very willing to help you find your way around. I would say fly in to Anchroage, spend a day getting rested and relaxing. Then head to Homer for a few days, and visit the Spit and sit behind the Lands End hotel and view the eagles and the bay, maybe even do some charter fishing. you could always take a charter trip to katmai and do some bear viewing. then head to Seward for a few days and do a boat tour of Kenai Fjords national park, KFT is the best,and the longer the tour the better. Maybe some kayacking, oh and you must eat at the Salmon Bake, as well as the Ressurection Roadhouse. MMM, now i am hungry. :) then end your trip with a few days in Denali park. You should get to see most types of wildlife you would want to see, eagles, bear, moose, humbacks, orca........ Send me a PM if i can do anything to help.

Post #12, Jun 04, 2008 18:59:09

Dustin
www.imagesbydustin.comexternal link **STILL BUILDING**
6D, 24-70f2.8 L, 135L f2, 430EX II

EricL
Joined Nov 2006
692 posts
Anchorage, Alaska
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd sure be glad to give you some pointers if you'd like!! Give me a timeframe...

Post #13, Jun 04, 2008 20:18:05 as a reply to dphillips81's post 1 hour earlier.

[SIZE=2]:lol: EricL :lol:
farwhitenorth.comexternal link
My Gear

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,664 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Alaska Photo Tours/Workshops???
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES