Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel
Thread started 22 Jun 2008 (Sunday) 19:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

After the flood...Cedar Rapids Iowa

teisco
83 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jun 22, 2008 19:44 |  #1

I Got a chance to take a few shots of flood aftermath in my home town, Cedar Rapids Iowa.

Railroad bridge

IMAGE: http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/aft5.jpg

Railroad bridge
IMAGE: http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/atf6.jpg

Just one of a hundreds and hundreds of streets with gutted house remains waiting for pickup.
IMAGE: http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/atf4.jpg

Some needed humor
IMAGE: http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/aft7.jpg

A couple of boys survey several houseboats blocking the river road
IMAGE: http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/aft2.jpg

A now serene river is framed by the high water mark of refuse lodged in a tree
IMAGE: http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/atf1.jpg

This flood was record breaking and covered more than a thousand blocks of Cedar Rapids including most of the downtown area, all bridges that access one side of town from another and thousands of homes and business. Water rose to 32 feet above floodstage and went beyond the 500 year flood plain.

Canon G9, mode P, auto WB, raw to jpg

sponsored links
sunbeast
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Maryland
Jun 22, 2008 20:01 |  #2

Truly heartbreaking....but as evidenced by the "Yard Sale" sign, you get to witness the resiliency and fortitude of people in extreme circumstances. Thanks for sharing.....it helps provide perspective for those of us who have never had to experience such destruction.

Gear and Feedback

tubawxman
59 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Superior, WI
Jun 22, 2008 20:21 |  #3

Wow. Seeing the rail bridge twisted really shows the force of the water. Thanks for sharing. The aftermath photos are just as important as the event itself.

Bryan
50 D | EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM | EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L USM | 430EXII Speedlight

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2005
Denver, CO
Jun 23, 2008 06:36 |  #4

devastating! Thanks for shooting and sharing. I can't help but wonder why a train was on that bridge when it collapsed.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Pageexternal link - Photo Galleryexternal link - Art Print Galleryexternal link - Writing&Poetryexternal link
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

tubawxman
59 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Superior, WI
Jun 23, 2008 06:47 |  #5

Loaded cars were placed on the bridge to weigh it down against the current. Its common practice in flooding like this. Had the cars not been on it, it would have gone much sooner and possibly damaged other bridges downstream. The are pictures of UP trains weighing down their bridges in Cedar Rapids and those held up.

Bryan
50 D | EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM | EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L USM | 430EXII Speedlight

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,488 posts
Joined May 2005
Denver, CO
Jun 23, 2008 06:52 |  #6

tubawxman wrote in post #5774552external link
Loaded cars were placed on the bridge to weigh it down against the current. Its common practice in flooding like this. Had the cars not been on it, it would have gone much sooner and possibly damaged other bridges downstream. The are pictures of UP trains weighing down their bridges in Cedar Rapids and those held up.

Ahh, makes sense once you explain it. :) Thanks!

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Pageexternal link - Photo Galleryexternal link - Art Print Galleryexternal link - Writing&Poetryexternal link

zacker
Cream of the Crop
6,005 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Oxford, CT.
Jun 23, 2008 06:55 |  #7

wow!!! the last one shows just how high that water was! ANd even more so, to get that high it had to spred out really, really far!!!

http://www.theanimalha​ven.comexternal link
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hyexternal link

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​sexternal link

Richtherookie
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Cedar Springs, Michigan
Jun 27, 2008 12:23 |  #8

Thanks for explaining the railroad cars on the bridge. I was confused why they'd do it. Sad times. I can't imagine the troubles that will cause your town. And i complain about about 4 foot of snow. Hope things go better for you. thanks for sharing

Canon 40D, Rebel XT, Kit lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, 50mm F/1.8II, 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM

Trained to survive, willing not to.
www.haysphotography.ne​texternal link

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004
NYC
Jun 27, 2008 13:53 |  #9

The power of water is incredible. Thanks for sharing these photos, I hope everyone is alright there. Be safe.

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eyeexternal link
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nanaimo,B.C.
Jun 27, 2008 13:56 as a reply to BottomBracket's post |  #10

I am so glad we are living on high ground after seeing these..heres to a quick resolve for everything they will be facing.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Iowahunter
64 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Jul 17, 2008 22:00 as a reply to Flo's post |  #11

As one of those affected by the flood the power of water is incredable.
The small town of Palo, Iowa is where I reside and it was completely flooded. Its about 7 miles upstream of Cedar Rapids. My house had the basement completly flooded and water came up onto the main floor thru the floor vents just enough the ruin the carpet but, luckly that was all upstairs. The past few weeks have been a challenge but, like always we will keep moving on. I have pics but, my computer is in a storage container for atleast another month till we get the house back in order. It took a little over 2 weeks to get electricity back and are still waiting for the gas, hot water heater, furnace and air condioning to be replaced along with all the duc work and the carpet and paint.
I'm replacing some of the drywall while we wait on the items to be replaced.
I'm on my computer at work now and this place was flooded also. ( Quaker Oats)
Thanks for letting me vent a bit : )

vdubtornado
181 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Portland, OR
Jul 17, 2008 22:26 |  #12

thanks for sharing!! the weather is just crazy lately, last week here in Northern California we had 5 days straight of 105+, some day reaching over 110. and not too far away there are major floods, wtf?

kenyc
Cream of the Crop
15,488 posts
Joined May 2005
Denver, CO
Jul 18, 2008 05:20 |  #13

Iowahunter wrote in post #5932872external link
As one of those affected by the flood the power of water is incredable.
The small town of Palo, Iowa is where I reside and it was completely flooded. Its about 7 miles upstream of Cedar Rapids. My house had the basement completly flooded and water came up onto the main floor thru the floor vents just enough the ruin the carpet but, luckly that was all upstairs. The past few weeks have been a challenge but, like always we will keep moving on. I have pics but, my computer is in a storage container for atleast another month till we get the house back in order. It took a little over 2 weeks to get electricity back and are still waiting for the gas, hot water heater, furnace and air condioning to be replaced along with all the duc work and the carpet and paint.
I'm replacing some of the drywall while we wait on the items to be replaced.
I'm on my computer at work now and this place was flooded also. ( Quaker Oats)
Thanks for letting me vent a bit : )

Glad you are in recovery mode. Sorry for your loss!

Kenny A. Chaffin

sponsored links

4,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
After the flood...Cedar Rapids Iowa
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.