Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports
Thread started 23 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 18:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do I need new lenses for drag racing

Hartness53
342 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Jul 23, 2008 18:01 |  #1

I need a little C&C on some pics. I just became the track photographer at the local drag strip. I want to know what I need to change to make my shots better. Am I at a place where my lenses are holding me back or do I need to get better with the ones I have. I don't mean things like when people or objects are in the way, but more the quality of the shots. Here are a few for critiquing. I would sure appreciat it. Big show coming up this weekend I want to make a good impression. Thanks, Christian

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Please fire away I really need some responses on this one

Canon 50D, Rebel XTI w/ 18-55 kit lens, EF 75-300, 50 1.8, Sigma 18-200 OS, Canon 580 EX II, 2 Calumet Genesis 400's, SanDisc 2GB Wal-Mart Tripod, Wal-Mart Monopod, Canon Pro9000,Canon Pro9000 MKII, Compaq Laptop.

sponsored links
Borbor
639 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jul 23, 2008 18:12 |  #2

I'm by no means a drag guy, but those shots to me are neither here nor there.

Thing that interests me the most (personally) about drag is the tire wrinkling starts :D

Seems to me you're shooting behind the fence as well? Do they not let the track tog shoot from other places? Seems to me you were standing in places anyone can shoot from.

pics 1 & 4 aren't telling me much. Car and tire smoke; that's it.
pic 2: again, no idea what you're trying to say. Even more so here than pics 1 and 4.
pic 3: Have they launched already? Or are they getting ready?

a couple of cameras + eyes that are starting to open + boatloads of patience
My Websiteexternal link
http://www.s2ki.com ...ndex.php?showtopic=​692516external linkhttp://www.s2ki.com ...ndex.php?showtopic=​692112external link

Hartness53
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Jul 23, 2008 18:16 |  #3

Borbor wrote in post #5971043external link
I'm by no means a drag guy, but those shots to me are neither here nor there.

Thing that interests me the most (personally) about drag is the tire wrinkling starts :D

Seems to me you're shooting behind the fence as well? Do they not let the track tog shoot from other places? Seems to me you were standing in places anyone can shoot from.

You are right, these were taken earlier in the year. I just went out Monday (7/21) and "interviewed" with the track manager. This weekend will be my first event inside the fence. I was wondering about the exposure, color quality, angles and views of the pics. Say I was in the stands or by the fence, are these good from there or do I need to change somehting. Thanks for the response. Christian

Canon 50D, Rebel XTI w/ 18-55 kit lens, EF 75-300, 50 1.8, Sigma 18-200 OS, Canon 580 EX II, 2 Calumet Genesis 400's, SanDisc 2GB Wal-Mart Tripod, Wal-Mart Monopod, Canon Pro9000,Canon Pro9000 MKII, Compaq Laptop.

Hartness53
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Jul 23, 2008 18:55 as a reply to Hartness53's post |  #4

Anyone?

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,871 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Jul 23, 2008 18:58 as a reply to Hartness53's post |  #5

Location is the key, not technique or equipment. Look where the hardcore working pros stand to get the best burnout and startline shots:

HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

You're going to need to stand next to the wall on the startline to get the most effective shots. That takes some earplugs and a little courage. :)

Hartness53
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Jul 23, 2008 19:14 as a reply to DC Fan's post |  #6

I'll post some up after this weekend. What mode do you shoot on when you shoot drags? Thanks Christian

fishingjts
984 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Jul 23, 2008 19:52 as a reply to Hartness53's post |  #7

DC Fan is 100% correct on location! Get down on the wall! Down by the tree...

At the racing events I raced in, the event photographer basically just captured us doing a burnout in the waterbox... everyone loves a burnout shot! LOL!

I shot these last spring:

HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Most event photographer usually use like a 70-200 or a 200mm... All the pictures I've bought from them seem to be at 200mm and 1/400th, so I'm thinking they shoot in Tv mode... I do the same thing...

I've also tried to get some at the tree... Try to get something that says motion...

HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

You can also google "drag racing event photography" and surf some of the galleries...

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos!

5D Mark II Gripped | 24-105L | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | 430EX | G16

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Yonder by the crick, Ga
Jul 23, 2008 19:56 as a reply to fishingjts's post |  #8

Hold your camera straight. I wish you luck.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

Hartness53
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Jul 23, 2008 20:31 as a reply to midnight_rider's post |  #9

Thanks, this weekend will be my first event inside the fence. So I am hoping to get more burnout, tire wrinklin shots. Before as close as I could get is the fence. What I was asking is if you look at my sig. Do I need to try to get better with the lenses I have or will some new lenses make the quality of image go up. I usually use manual mode and hit and miss, is it better to use Shutter priority or Apeture Priority for this stuff? Thanks Christian

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Yonder by the crick, Ga
Jul 23, 2008 20:39 as a reply to Hartness53's post |  #10

The only thing about the lenses that you have that I would be concerned about the the AF speed. They all have micro motor and USM would be a lot faster. As far as IQ goes you can get stellar results with the glass that you have ( IF you know how to use it)

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

fishingjts
984 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Jul 23, 2008 20:39 |  #11

Hartness53 wrote in post #5971854external link
Thanks, this weekend will be my first event inside the fence. So I am hoping to get more burnout, tire wrinklin shots. Before as close as I could get is the fence. What I was asking is if you look at my sig. Do I need to try to get better with the lenses I have or will some new lenses make the quality of image go up. I usually use manual mode and hit and miss, is it better to use Shutter priority or Apeture Priority for this stuff? Thanks Christian

I would go with Tv mode... start with 1/400th (adjust ISO accordingly)... You'll probably want to start out with the 75-300... Also you might want to pick up a good circular polarizer to help with the reflections... especially on the windows...

Hartness53
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Jul 23, 2008 21:13 |  #12

fishingjts wrote in post #5971907external link
I would go with Tv mode... start with 1/400th (adjust ISO accordingly)... You'll probably want to start out with the 75-300... Also you might want to pick up a good circular polarizer to help with the reflections... especially on the windows...

The CP I have just not for the 50 1.8. Thanks for the advise I will start with Tv. and the 75-300, see how that goes. Thanks Christian

John ­ Thawley
741 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Jul 23, 2008 22:51 |  #13

You need to find a way to get out of snapshot mode. I'd consider moving up to a "pro-sumer" body... 40D maybe. I would suggest a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 and a 300mm or 400mm then a good wide angle -17-40L or 16-35L -

Nest you need to get your face into the action. You need to bend your knees.. you need to SEE pictures..... get down track and look back to the start... change the perspective, get a point of view. YOU CANNOT sit on your ass. You have to be everywhere and seeing things in a way that tells a story. You have to make pictures... anyone can take pictures.

Are your lenses holding you back? I would say, at this point, no. Not that they're the right lenses... but you need to get it straight between your ears... then you'll see a difference in equipment.

No offense, you wanted the truth.... these samples are pretty lack-luster. You'd better get motivated.

JT

• Canon, Leica, Mac & Imagination •
| 2008 Year In Reviewexternal link |
Personal Siteexternal linkhttp://www.wheelsonwal​ls.comexternal link Automotive Photographers Networkexternal link

Jamie ­ Holladay
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Gadsden, Alabama, USA
Jul 24, 2008 00:53 |  #14

There are some great comments here towards answering your question. I have did a search to see what a couple of users I know off the top of my head that shoot Drag races, they have some good examples. Try TCorzet and Zilly. I am sure there are other users these are just the ones that come to mind.

The Site external linkThe Gallery external linkThe Gearexternal link

"If you really want something done, ask a busy person." Toms wife

Nothing is more Exhilarating than combining my two passions, the speed of a shutter, the speed of a car; What a Rush! ~ me

What stands between you and greatness sits between your ears, not in your camera bag. ~ John Thawley

You know I can't spell just sound it out. ~ me

fishingjts
984 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Jul 24, 2008 06:26 |  #15

John Thawley wrote in post #5972740external link
You need to find a way to get out of snapshot mode. I'd consider moving up to a "pro-sumer" body... 40D maybe. I would suggest a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 and a 300mm or 400mm then a good wide angle -17-40L or 16-35L -

Nest you need to get your face into the action. You need to bend your knees.. you need to SEE pictures..... get down track and look back to the start... change the perspective, get a point of view. YOU CANNOT sit on your ass. You have to be everywhere and seeing things in a way that tells a story. You have to make pictures... anyone can take pictures.

Are your lenses holding you back? I would say, at this point, no. Not that they're the right lenses... but you need to get it straight between your ears... then you'll see a difference in equipment.

No offense, you wanted the truth.... these samples are pretty lack-luster. You'd better get motivated.

JT

Absolutely excellent advise!

BTW... I shoot a 40D and find it works great at the track, especially with a grip. With two batteries I can shoot all weekend and never have to switch batteries and that's using IS lenses! And the IQ has been great! Had my first 24x36 printed last week. The car owner was blown away!

sponsored links

12,612 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I need new lenses for drag racing
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.