Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 11 Apr 2001 (Wednesday) 18:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A waterdrop tutorial

Johny
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Apr 11, 2001 18:47 |  #1

Hi all,
Since we all love our toys and discover new ways to use them i thought that i should give you a short
tutorial for taking nice close-up pictures of waterdrops splashing in water.

I'm not using any fancy stuff for my setup, only some stuff that i could find at home.

This is what i used for my setup:

1. A big mirror (to reflect the flash down into the bowl)
2. A box of orrange juice (just to get some colors, had it under the bowl)
3. Dishcloth (to squeeze some drops from)
4. Tripod
5. A Boule set (only to lean the mirror against, because it's heavy)
6. A glassbowl with water
7. Canon Pro90 (Use whatever you got)
8. Canon Speedlight 420EX (can use internal flash, but it's weaker)
9. Canon close-up lens 500D

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

I set it all up like this, and the orrange juice box is only there to get some nice colors in the final picture.
Try different colorful things to have under/behind the bowl to get different colors.
Put something in the bowl where you want to have focus, zoom in and let the camera focus and lock it
(push manual focus once on pro90)

Now set the camera in TV mode and put 1/250 or faster... you won't get anything faster than 1/250
regardless what you set it to because the camera can only sync the flash to 1/250.
Use the dishcloth and with one hand squeeze some big drops in the area
where you have zoomed in and where you have focus, and with your other hand push the button on the camera.

Prepare to take A LOT of pictures to get the nice ones...
Play with it, change colors under the bowl, zoom out slightly, take some more,
move the camera to another angle... and so on...

Good luck splashing away again and again :o)
Please send me some links to your pictures.

Regards / Johny Ã…kerlund jakerlund@home.se (external link)

sponsored links
James
34 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Apr 11, 2001 23:24 |  #2

Hi Johny,

Thanks for sharing your tips with us. I really enjoyed your photographs.

Rick
64 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Apr 12, 2001 00:25 |  #3

This has to be one of the coolest tutorials Ive ever seen anyone post. How truly cool of you to put this up here. Great images and thanks, Cant wait to play around a bit with it myself.

Best Regards

Rick

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,241 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Apr 12, 2001 03:59 |  #4

That's a great tutorial! I think I'm on my way to get a macro lens... Have you tried any other liquid than water (Coke, Vegatable Oil, Beer, Wine)? ;)

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

JCDoss
92 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Mayflower, AR
Apr 18, 2001 11:49 |  #5

Pekka beat me to it, but I was going to suggest trying mixing liquids to get your color. Using the OJ box is a good idea, but I wonder what the results of, say, dripping food coloring into water would look like? The patterns created by mixing liquid of different colors should be spectacular!

psinke
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Sep 14, 2001 08:06 |  #6

Great tutorial! I wish I could find some more of this things on the net...
I tried it with an analog camera, Canon EOS3000 with Sigma macro- 'filter' screwed on an Sigma 70-210 lens.
I used direct sunlight for lighting and was able to shoot with shutterspeeds of up to 1/1000 s and aperture 9.5 (Kodak Color Gold 400ASA), and shutterspeed 1/250 s at aperture 13.
If it worked out I'll post some scans tomorrow.

Addendum: I've received my first results, with shutterspeed 1/250 - 1/350 s, and they are all blurred. All my hopes are on the 1/1000 s pictures....

psinke
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Sep 17, 2001 07:47 |  #7

Finally, a few pictures have worked out. Shuttertimes of 1/1000 s worked, achieved by using a lot of light and a 400ASA film.

Johny, did you use the flashlight to 'freeze' the images, or was it just the shuttertime that did the trick?

Sorry 'bout the scans, they're not so good:

MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

If they're not visible, check:
http://www.geocities.c​om ...ck_sinke/img/druppe​l1.jpg (external link) and
http://www.geocities.c​om ...ck_sinke/img/druppe​l2.jpg (external link)

BrianN
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Sep 17, 2001 14:57 |  #8

Hello Johni

Your experiments with the water drops triggered some very old memories about similar experiments with milk drops, and further experiments with stopping bullets or inflated balloons at the moment of bursting. The two articles involved go back to the magazine "Modern Photography" and are dated 1/85 and 7/86 but the information they contained could well shed some light on the technique. One article mentions that the duration of the flash in most flash units si 1/1000 of a second but "At their closest auto-exposure distance, or when set on minimum variable-power steeing, the duration may drop to a mere 1/40,000 sec. This will arrest virtually any human and most animal actions. Even hummingbirds' wings can be stopped at that speed if you'11 accept a touch of blur." The article, by James Bailey, goes on to say to set a variable power model at 1/16 or less power. He also mentions using film of ASA 200 or higher. In his article, he goes on to describe a high speed sync adaptor which is triggered by sound.

The second article was "Shoot the classic milk drop in mid plop." This refers to the classic photo 'made famous years ago by Dr. Harold Edgerton. This article described a 'light trigger' which was a beam of light that when broken by the milk drop, would trigger the camera and flash. The milk was dropping into a very thin puddle of milk which caused the 'crown' effect.

I think that your flash was actually the light being recorded because camera's high shutter speed was actually not long enough for much room light to register even though it was 1/250 compared to the possible 1/10,000 of the flash. This would explain why your experiments without flash but at a shutter speed of 1/1,000 were not a success. The camera speeds of normal cameras are just not fast enough to stop the action. All of Edgerton's work was with strobes they are nothing but our present day flash units.

You have done some great work that I greatly enjoyed. Sorry it took so long to post a reply, but it took a little while to dig out the old articles. Maybe this will give you some more ideas.

BrianN

psinke
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Sep 19, 2001 06:19 |  #9

Thnx for your information, Brian. This is very helpfull

I found out day before yesterday that my Sunpack flashlight has flashtimes between 1/500 and 1/20.000 (!!) seconds. This just has to do the trick I guess.

The part about the 'crater effect' is also worth the try.

BrianN
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2001
Sep 19, 2001 10:01 |  #10

Johny

The 1/20,000 of a second is probably fast enough for anything except possible a speeding bullet, unless of the .22 caliber size which has a muzzle speed of about 1,000 feet per second. But then, photographing a bullet in flight raises a lot more problems than wether your flash is fast enough, don't you think?

Good luck, be careful, and when will we see some more photos?

BrianN

Sharon ­ D
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Mar 02, 2006 17:46 as a reply to BrianN's post |  #11

Interesting stuff! BrianN, can you tell me where I could find one of the remote triggers, and do you know if they are expensive? I've done a Google search and can not find one. TIA!

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Mar 02, 2006 19:20 |  #12

Good job on the searching Sharon, you found a 5 year old thread! :) I've seen light and sound triggers at my local electronics store, and you can probably get them on ebay too. B&H may have them, my quick search didn't find any.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Sharon ­ D
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Mar 02, 2006 19:25 as a reply to tim's post |  #13

Thank you, Tim! When I noticed how old the thread was I didn't think anyone would respond. After searching Google for a while I did find a site that sells them but they are considerably more than I expected. Well not really, but I was hoping for something less expensive. $465 at www. woodselec.com. I found it by entering into the Google search engine infrared beam camera triggering. Again, thanks!

Grimnar
252 posts
Joined Dec 2004
63*N 10*E
Mar 02, 2006 19:42 |  #14

haha
No wonder the images did not load.

Photoblogexternal link
Can provide hosting for your galleries.

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
Joined May 2005
Krikkit
Mar 02, 2006 21:09 as a reply to Sharon D's post |  #15

Sharon D wrote:
Interesting stuff! BrianN, can you tell me where I could find one of the remote triggers, and do you know if they are expensive? I've done a Google search and can not find one. TIA!

I just finished up a project, a couple of days ago, a homemade circuit that triggers a flash off a microphone. I have yet to take any shots with it. I have already designed the circuit for basically the same thing using a phototransistor for a trigger.

The microphone trigger cost me about $20 to build.

Sevas Tra...

sponsored links

37,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
A waterdrop tutorial
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.