Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 20 Aug 2008 (Wednesday) 14:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Back to Yosemite National Park again!

vdubtornado
THREAD ­ STARTER
181 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Portland, OR
Aug 23, 2008 22:03 |  #16

Randy1213 wrote in post #6146015external link
You're one lucky dog to be so close to YNP! For me, it's a heckuva long drive for a day but one I've done more times than I care to mention. I too think some of the pics look a bit soft. But I really like no. 7.

A few comments about shooting in the park: Looks like these were taken during mid to late afternoon. Since you're so close, get out there for sunrise or sunset if you haven't already. That's when you get the best range of colors on granite, waterfalls, etc. And if you're not using one already, slap a polarizer on your lens. Your greens will be much improved over the greens in the tunnel view pics.

Please shoot and post more from this wonderful place.

the shots at glacier point were at sunset but we left a bit early because there was a Park Ranger out there doing a talk or something and wanted to beat all the other visitors out of there, so we left before the ranger was done and missed a bit of the sunset. But i do want to get there before the sun comes up for the sunrise, but i doubt ill be able to for a while, school starts up on Monday and between work and school i wont really have much free time.
And for some reason I left the polarizer at home for the 10-20 :(

dazzlebea wrote in post #6146604external link
Great series. Too bad some of them are a bit soft. #5 looks really good though so I'm wondering if it really is a lens issue. Unfortunately your EXIF is not intact, that might reveal a bit more.

Also, I think some of these are a bit flat and would benefit from additional levels/curves adjustments.

ill mess with the levels and curves on them!! and its odd that you cant get the exif data off them, usually flickr leaves it on there

Tsmith wrote in post #6147472external link
If I lived this close I'd stay broke buying gas going to the park. Certainly an excellent series but do agree on the sharpness. Seems some post processing sharpening would help.

I was thinking of trying to sharpen them in post, ill go back and give it a try

sparker1 wrote in post #6147620external link
Love number 2, where is that? Also 5, 6 & 7, all from Glacier Point, are very good. The others could be good with a little PP.

number two is at the Bridalveil Falls, there is a path to walk up to the base of the waterfall and then you have to climb up rocks to get to this actual spot. It is where the waterfall first forms a pool, if that makes any sense. And you also cant really go up there when the falls are really strong in the spring/early summer because the mist from the falls is like a little showering and makes the rocks really slippery. Right now the fall is barely even trickling down, so most of the rocks are very dry.

Bubble wrote in post #6149478external link
+1 on what is the name of #2?

see above!!

pumaknight wrote in post #6149928external link
#5 is my fave - althought they are all great. Some do look a little soft on my screen though.

thanks!! and i need to get my lens serviced, it has taken many pictures over the last year, i swear its really the only lens i use.

sponsored links
vdubtornado
THREAD ­ STARTER
181 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Portland, OR
Aug 23, 2008 22:10 |  #17

dazzlebea wrote in post #6146604external link
Great series. Too bad some of them are a bit soft. #5 looks really good though so I'm wondering if it really is a lens issue. Unfortunately your EXIF is not intact, that might reveal a bit more.

Also, I think some of these are a bit flat and would benefit from additional levels/curves adjustments.

actually thats because its a HDR, so that would explain the lack of exif data:D

Serrator
291 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Missouri
Aug 24, 2008 02:07 |  #18

Great place and some good shots!

Before you send off the lens you might want to look at your 0ev shots and see if they are soft, since you are doing HDR and combining several images then the softness could be from mis-registration between the images. If your tripod moved any or the camera is bumped during the sequence can result in image softness. How many exposures for each image and how did you take them..AEB?

7d/40d/350d/580EFII...​assorted lenses and Photoshop.
My Photoplayground: www.flickr.com/serrato​rexternal link

vdubtornado
THREAD ­ STARTER
181 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Portland, OR
Aug 29, 2008 11:42 |  #19

Serrator wrote in post #6166434external link
Great place and some good shots!

Before you send off the lens you might want to look at your 0ev shots and see if they are soft, since you are doing HDR and combining several images then the softness could be from mis-registration between the images. If your tripod moved any or the camera is bumped during the sequence can result in image softness. How many exposures for each image and how did you take them..AEB?

yeah i took them with AEB and they each have 3 different exposures. i was using a cheapo tripod cuz i didnt want to haul around my manfrotto, so i could have moved some and caused the softness. But this has been an issue that i have noticed on my camera for a while now, even with shots with only one exposure.

mdw
486 posts
Joined Mar 2008
The Netherlands
Aug 29, 2008 12:23 |  #20

Nice! Some might need a little more contrast.
Especially #1, which has some grey overlay.

Beautiful location! Would like to go there once as well!

Roger
Copyright © PixelBalance Photographyexternal link
My photos are not stock

Canon 50D l Canon 70-200mm f/4L l 50mm f/1.8 l Canon 100mm f/2.8 l Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI II LD

bob29
261 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Illinois, USA
Aug 29, 2008 20:53 |  #21

Great, just wish I was there.

bishop13
559 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Burbank, CA
Aug 29, 2008 23:08 |  #22

vdubtornado wrote in post #6165512external link
number two is at the Bridalveil Falls, there is a path to walk up to the base of the waterfall and then you have to climb up rocks to get to this actual spot. It is where the waterfall first forms a pool, if that makes any sense. And you also cant really go up there when the falls are really strong in the spring/early summer because the mist from the falls is like a little showering and makes the rocks really slippery. Right now the fall is barely even trickling down, so most of the rocks are very dry.

Wow, what a far cry from the torrent of water coming down when I was there last April.

I love the series though, especially #1.

Gear List

vdubtornado
THREAD ­ STARTER
181 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Portland, OR
Aug 30, 2008 14:07 |  #23

bishop13 wrote in post #6207175external link
Wow, what a far cry from the torrent of water coming down when I was there last April.

I love the series though, especially #1.

thanks!! And yes the waterfalls in April and May are much stronger then they are in august!

Bill ­ Pham
Cream of the Crop
5,102 posts
Joined May 2007
St. Paul MN
Aug 30, 2008 14:15 |  #24

very nice i like 1,2 and 5. agree some of them do look soft though. it could be my moniter too.

Bill

winning is fun and second is for loser
I got Mitch hook on wide angle :lol::lol:
Gear list
http://billpham.smugmu​g.com/external link

MichSt
865 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Lansing, MI
Aug 31, 2008 13:08 |  #25

Great set! #1, 2, and 8 are my faves. Those are some different views of the park. Thanks for sharing!

Mario.Q

| Canon 5D | Canon 30D | Some Lenses |
| my photosexternal link | full gear list and marketplace feedback|

sponsored links

2,496 views & 0 likes for this thread
Back to Yosemite National Park again!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.