Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 02 Feb 2006 (Thursday) 23:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How is life in first year of marriage?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007
Probably Chasing Aircraft
Sep 03, 2008 21:09 |  #91

This may sound odd to some but beyond honestly loving the other person, take a step back and make sure you honestly like them as well.

I've had relationships come and go over the years that were hot and heavy out of the gate but as time went by, I realized that there wasn't enough mental and emotional interest and/or support to sustain a relationship beyond the physical.

When I met my wife, we were engaged after five weeks and married about a year later. Of course I love my wife but also, I like my wife. A lot. In fact, she's my best friend.

I think that's important for the long term health of a relationship...

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
FocalPrincess
Cream of the Crop
8,223 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Hibernating near Hershey
Sep 03, 2008 21:10 |  #92

cdifoto wrote in post #1151069external link
I get along with my L glass just fine!

Seriously though...make sure she understands up front that she will NOT tell you how to spend your money. Some women have trouble letting their men spend money on the camera gear they want or need. Don't let her be the boss of your cash.

That said...put her financial needs first. Don't make her go hungry because you want a new lens. As a husband your job will be to provide for her first and foremost. Toys come last.

But at the same time, don't boss her around with HER money...just make sure you communicate really well. Be honest, be fair. Be understanding. If you haven't lived together, it will be an adjustment for both of you. Some of the dumbest things will annoy the snot out of you, but you'll love some of the dumbest things (for instance, maybe how she puts her toothbrush, something really dorky like that).

Blogexternal link | Galleriesexternal linkhttp://www.dbimpressio​ns.comexternal link "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the
gift is nothing without work." ~ Emile Zola

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
Sep 04, 2008 03:00 |  #93

I'm on marriage #2.

If I knew the answers, I'd be happier than I am today.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link 
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link

:cool:

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Sep 04, 2008 03:09 |  #94

My step-grandfather is the king at making marriage last.

He bought earplugs.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
Sep 04, 2008 03:10 |  #95

Booooooowwwwwwwwwwwaah​hahahahhahah

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link 
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link

:cool:

harroz
Goldmember
2,749 posts
Joined May 2008
New Zealand
Sep 04, 2008 03:11 |  #96

live life, love life, and be free. :-D

blogexternal link weddingsexternal link commercialexternal link mmexternal link

oldtimingman
299 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Colorado
Sep 09, 2008 17:33 |  #97

run forest run

...............old

Excuse me old timer....she said sweetly, is that a 300mm IS prime in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

GPR1
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Vancouver, WA
Sep 09, 2008 23:31 as a reply to oldtimingman's post |  #98

I was offered an important observation at my wedding: Love is a choice, not an emotion. The emotion can wax an wane daily based on lots of factors that may have nothing really to do with you or your spouse. That's where the choice becomes very important.

--Greg
http://www.expatinchin​a.net/external link
www.facebook.com/Expat​InChina

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 09, 2008 23:37 |  #99

Well if one of my friends was any indication, I'd say stay far far away from marriage!

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Sep 10, 2008 10:18 |  #100

emorphien wrote in post #6276730external link
Well if one of my friends was any indication, I'd say stay far far away from marriage!

Poor soul. Traditional burial or cremation?

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

fishfoto
-Krazy Glue-
840 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Live: HVN Work: The World
Sep 10, 2008 12:04 |  #101

Just remember this.....once you have kids, it all changes!

My first one arrived a few hours before my 25th birthday on 2000 (Lauren was born June 17th, my birthday is June 18th, it also happened to be fathers day!) followed by Max in Dec 04 and Bubba (his legal name is Simon) at the end of January 2007........

.......the changes in the relationship after the first baby were significant but subtle. With the addition of #2 and #3 the whole dynamic changes. It is no longer about the two of you, it is about ALL OF YOU.

I've been with Susie for 10 years come this November (she swears I'm a one night stand who just wouldn't go away) and through the ups and downs we just adapt. Adapting is hard, but if you are committed you deal with it and move forward (FYI: Once you have three kids you'll want to be committed to a nice padded room).

Just remember this, if you have kids.....they come first! My job has had me on the road since I was 16. When we were just 'us' and I was gone it was hard, but OK. When we had just one child it was hard, but manageable. When #2 showed up I spent my first year on the road 3+ days a week, every week, month in and month out for a year. I ended up quitting my job as a Director of Photography overseeing 5 international business magazines (worked out well as my job was about to be made 'redundant'). I quite because I wanted to be with my son and he barely knew me, and my wife was really getting stretched to thing.

Now with #3 I have tried to create a travel schedule that lets me do what I need to do while accounting for what my wife needs as well. She has her schedule, I have my kids schedules I need to keep in mind and when I can I work around them, which can mean bounding through three continents in 3.5 days to make sure I am home for dinner on Sunday night with my kids:0)

So forget the challenges of marriage if you plan on having kids and check out the complexity of making your relationship work when there is a much more complex dynamic to your relationship.

- Fish
http://www.instagram.c​om/flyingwithfish (external link)

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,537 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...
Sep 10, 2008 12:44 |  #102

I've been married for 9 months now. No problems yet. The financial impact of the wedding/honeymoon is there, but I have not had any issues with financial disagreements with my wife. I made sure that we were mentally compatible in the financial area before getting engaged though.

AngryCorgiexternal link (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Cheyenne, WY
Sep 10, 2008 13:16 |  #103

I could not have asked for better!

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

deadpass
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Jun 2006
phoenix, az
Sep 10, 2008 21:10 |  #104

it's brutal. but it gets better.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​mexternal link

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,607 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Sep 10, 2008 23:41 |  #105

deadpass wrote in post #6283533external link
it's brutal. but it gets better.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

sponsored links

8,062 views & 0 likes for this thread
How is life in first year of marriage?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.