Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Sports
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #16
AdamLewis
Goldmember

Default Re: Best Cheerleader Shots (HS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic 24 View Post
No...I don't think she is doing anything wrong but like Dan said, "over protective society". I have on similar except the leg is about 80 degrees verticle. I won't post them with the previous exception so there is no chance
of someone saying that I'M inappropriate and get banned from the school grounds like another OP I know.
Thats ridiculous.

I guess that means 99% of gymnastic shots are inappropriate? Swimming? Diving? Womens Lacrosse?
How else are you supposed to get a picture of a cheerleader doing certain things? Youre not taking pictures of their underwear. They wear bloomers for a reason...

If it is a good shot, take it.
If it is junk, junk it.
If you get banned over a good shot, fight it.

AdamLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #17
AdamLewis
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o View Post
It kind of sucks the way it has gotten. I shot my first Fri. night high school game and watched the cheerleaders in between some time outs and such and never snapped a shot. I just picked up this gig and didn't want to chance anything inappropriate. I never have encountered any problems but I've read about so many on this forum.
Why is it OK for you to watch them but inappropriate to take the pictures?

Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #18
J.Napier

I agree 100% with Adam, this shot and others are NOT inappropriate. I have been shooting cheer for 5 years now its what they do, as well as gymnast and other sports. They do where "Spankys" for this reason and they are designed to stay put for the most part. That being said I have choosen to destroy some very good photos just bescuse they are questionable. Society has gotton way out of line sometimes with its over protecting.
I am including a couple from this week here in PNW area. Its nice to have some outdoor light for these instead of the notoriuos indoor gym light once the season starts.
pacdzyne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8I4I9954_edited-1.jpg (81.1 KB, 3114 views)
File Type: jpg Cheer-1.jpg (65.4 KB, 3102 views)
J.Napier is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #19
liam5100

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLewis View Post
Is she doing something inappropriate?
What?? I hope you dont have to do any volleyball games and post the shots.

Equipment : Quaker Oatmeal box with a little tiny hole in it... and a 400 2.8
liam5100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #20
cstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLewis View Post
Thats ridiculous.

I guess that means 99% of gymnastic shots are inappropriate? Swimming? Diving? Womens Lacrosse?
How else are you supposed to get a picture of a cheerleader doing certain things? Youre not taking pictures of their underwear. They wear bloomers for a reason...

If it is a good shot, take it.
If it is junk, junk it.
If you get banned over a good shot, fight it.
Lets of course also add women's tennis, beach volleyball, regular volleyball (because those shorts are waaaay too tight), triathalon, track and field,....et., etc.

These folks are all performing at a public sporting event and I think it can be reasonably expected and anticipated that they will be getting their photo taken. Yes while some shots may catch them in awkward or embarrassing poses (I recall a shot of one of the US women beach volleyball players celebrating their win that was very "risque" so to speak) it is still a moment in time of their performance and has every right to be published or shown as needed. I agree that you don't want to really embarrass the person, but if the shot is needed to tell the story, then the shot is needed to tell the story.

Now, if you are purposely shooting subjects like this to GET shots that are embarrassing or inappropriate, then I argue that you are no longer a sports photographer but instead have joined the ranks of the scummy paparazzi group.
cstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #21
AdamLewis
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam5100 View Post
What?? I hope you dont have to do any volleyball games and post the shots.
I think you missed the point..

Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #22
AdamLewis
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstewart View Post
Lets of course also add women's tennis, beach volleyball, regular volleyball (because those shorts are waaaay too tight), triathalon, track and field,....et., etc.

These folks are all performing at a public sporting event and I think it can be reasonably expected and anticipated that they will be getting their photo taken. Yes while some shots may catch them in awkward or embarrassing poses (I recall a shot of one of the US women beach volleyball players celebrating their win that was very "risque" so to speak) it is still a moment in time of their performance and has every right to be published or shown as needed. I agree that you don't want to really embarrass the person, but if the shot is needed to tell the story, then the shot is needed to tell the story.

Now, if you are purposely shooting subjects like this to GET shots that are embarrassing or inappropriate, then I argue that you are no longer a sports photographer but instead have joined the ranks of the scummy paparazzi group.
Very well said.

Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #23
ezpass

Sept 12
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cheerjc.jpg (103.1 KB, 3076 views)
ezpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #24
HotShots

Great job on the back flip.

I haven't quite gotten my settings dialed in yet to get one that crisp and clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg potn3.jpg (96.6 KB, 3067 views)
File Type: jpg potn4.jpg (88.6 KB, 3071 views)
HotShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #25
Dan-o
Goldmember

I agree with all of you, I don't find them inappropriate. I'm just saying the way society is getting photographing minors period has gotten controversial. Do a search there are countless threads about photogs getting shouted down by parents for shooting there kids.

Quote:
Why is it OK for you to watch them but inappropriate to take the pictures?
Does this even need to be answered. Again I'm not trying to say there is anything wrong with these. I shoot youth sports, gymnastics, dance and also have two teenage daughters so it is something I read a lot about. Society as a whole has gotten a bit nuts. Sometimes I fill like packing up and go live in a bus in Alaska.
FaceBook Page

Last edited by Dan-o : 14th of September 2008 (Sun) at 16:14.
Dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #26
CatchingUp

Someone asked the difference between watching them perform vs. snapping a picture. Well, the obvious thing that comes to mind is when you see the performance, that 'crotch shot' may last but for a split second. But a photographic image of it 'freezes' the shot.

Not sure if anyone saw it, but during the olympics, the Dallas Morning News ran two shots over the course of several days of the girls gymnastics and the one shot that they ran was pretty huge and it was one of the US girls on the uneven parallel bars in mid air with her legs just spread wide open. I remember thinking at the time how that shot might be uncomfortable for some. And like I said, when you are watching the performance, it all happens so fast that your mind is not drawn to any one particular aspect of the performance or the performer.

I guess what I'm saying is I can appreciate the sensitivity to the poster who errs on the side of caution.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."
CatchingUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #27
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?

Need to get out and go to either the local high school or the one all my cousins attend and my almsot entire family's old school.....odd man out.

Nice shots people! I've been busy with football leagues and swim. Cheerleaders look like fun, in the sense they flip, jump, get tossed, etc.
Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #28
cevad

No, I don't think the photo is inappropriate at all. If you had composed or cropped the photo so that her crotch area was the main focus of the photo, then it would be inappropriate. The photo you posted just shows a cheerleader/dancer doing a typical pose for her activity. The "spankys" under the skirt are part of the uniform and they are worn to cover parts of the body that will be willingly and openly exposed because of the various moves the wearer will make during her routine. She is also wearing tights that are like pantyhose which completely cover her private areas under the spankys as well as her legs, (much like ice skaters wear). This girl is covering more of her body than a gymnast or swimmer.

Catching a glimpse, (or a photo for that matter), of a performer/athlete like this is not like looking up a girl's skirt at the mall. Anyone wearing a dress or skirt has the reasonable right to privacy concerning her body under the garment. The girl at the mall does not intend to have that part of her body visible to the people around her, therefore an upskirt photo in that case is not only inappropriate but unlawful. The girl in your photo as well as her parents, her coach and her school all fully know that her crotch and butt are going to show during her performance and all of them apparently consent to that and are satisfied that she is reasonably covered.

Still, I do agree that some photos may be questionable as to good taste and common decency. If a photo is unflattering or tends to accentuate a feature in a way that the subject would most likely find uncomfortable, I think it is not only appropriate but necessary to either not publish/share the photo or to correct the blemish. For example, on two different occasions I have taken the liberty to use the healing brush in pp to save a good photo, both were girl volleyball players. Once, to hide the "foot of a humped, desert dwelling mammal" and the other to smooth out a white jersey that was a bit too bumpy. No one ever noticed the fix and I saved the shots.

Just my two cents. I don't care to argue my points but I thought I would still share them.
cevad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #29
Kiddo
Goldmember

First time shooting Cheerleaders... Hoping to get much better pictures next week... The ones in this thread are great...

knights19.jpg

knights20.jpg

Canon 30D, Canon 10D, Canon SXi, Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens, Canon EF 28-80mm Lens, Canon 75-300mm EF Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8LUSM Lens, Speedlite 540EZ
Kiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of September 2008 (Sun)   #30
AdamLewis
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchingUp View Post
Not sure if anyone saw it, but during the olympics, the Dallas Morning News ran two shots over the course of several days of the girls gymnastics and the one shot that they ran was pretty huge and it was one of the US girls on the uneven parallel bars in mid air with her legs just spread wide open. I remember thinking at the time how that shot might be uncomfortable for some. And like I said, when you are watching the performance, it all happens so fast that your mind is not drawn to any one particular aspect of the performance or the performer.
Seriously, IMO, the "inappropriateness" is caused by people who look at the picture and cant appreciate it for the picture that it is and feel they HAVE to look at the nether-regions of any particular athlete. Ive seen many pictures just as youve described and they are some of the best gymnastics pictures Ive ever seen (uneven bars at least...).

Its the people who see that picture and think, "Gee..Look at her legs spread wide open" and cant appreciate the athleticism involved or the photographers skill that are the problem.

Just my two cents on the situation.

P.S. Thats not to say that there arent perverts out there who aim to capture those type of pictures.