Arts & Crafts Fair - Presenting Photos for Sale

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 16 Sep 2008 (Tuesday) 15:04   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Yarin
Joined Nov 2003
104 posts
Guttenberg, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm going to participate in my first art fair in a few weeks. I've ordered a variety of prints in sizes up to 20x30. I'm not exactly sure how to display the prints without damaging them. I've seen a few sellers show pics in a posterboard type frame. What cost effective solution do you suggest? Sandwich in posterboard then hold with binder clips?

Thanks!

Post #1, Sep 16, 2008 15:04:27

Canon 50D with a bunch of lenses

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

The ones you've seen elsewhere are (more than likely) not just "sandwiched" in posterboard, they've been properly matted, backed and in clear bags.

A far more professional approach to selling than just slapping loose prints on a table.

If you search the forum for more info, you'll find there are places where you can buy standard sized mattes, backing board and clear bags in bulk...

Good Luck! :)

Post #2, Sep 16, 2008 15:18:25

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Dennis_Hammer
Joined Nov 2007
820 posts
Connecticut, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Everything I have ever seen has been matted, with a few framed or canvas printed.

Post #3, Sep 16, 2008 17:47:32 as a reply to FlyingPhotog's post 2 hours earlier.

Dchemist
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2003
1,632 posts
Woodbury, Connecticut
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree with others here - matte them and use clear plastic bags designed to hold them. What fair are you going to? Dennis

Post #4, Sep 16, 2008 19:45:25 as a reply to Dennis_Hammer's post 1 hour earlier.

POTN Book Vol4 Astronomy Image Manager and BC Member
20D, 5DMkII, 50F1.4, 100F2.8 macro, 135F2, 17-40F4, 70-200F2.8, 24-105F4, 580EX

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
Joined Aug 2005
6,164 posts
Atwater, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've posted this before....

Prints - Mpixexternal link
Greeting Cards - Photograper's Edgeexternal link
Card Display - Card Displayexternal link
Mats, Frames, Clear Bags - Documountsexternal link
Print Racks - Jerry's Artaramaexternal link
Canopy (10 x 10) - Caravanexternal link
Mesh Walls (pricey, but worth it) - Flourishexternal link

Here's my booth:

IMAGE: http://www.thebackcountry.org/images/web_temp/Booth1.jpg

Post #5, Sep 16, 2008 20:20:22

Images in the Backcountryexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Google+external link | Twitterexternal link
SEO for the Photographerexternal link | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masksexternal link
Canon 5D • 17-40 ƒ/4L • 300 ƒ/4L IS • 70-200 ƒ/4L • 50 ƒ/1.8 • 1.4x TC • Kenko Ext. Tubes
http://www.pinterest.c​om/pin/create/extensio​n/external link

sponsored links
black_z
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,211 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Damn, I like that! :)

Post #6, Sep 16, 2008 23:52:01

Canon 30D
Canon 50/1.8 100/2.8
Photosexternal link

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
Joined Nov 2006
15,123 posts
Sandwich UK...the place, not the food!
[MORE/SHARE]

That's a lovely setup you have there Mike.

This is something I'd like to venture into too, there is a shortage of photography stands at some of the fairs that I see. However, being a noob at this sort of print sale side of things, when you say that the prints need to be matted and backed, what exactly is matting and backing a print? I think I can work out the putting into clear bags though!

Post #7, Sep 17, 2008 11:06:03

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.ukexternal link
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickrexternal link Blogexternal link 5∞pxexternal link

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.

golfecho
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,295 posts
Perry, Georgia
[MORE/SHARE]

Hikin Mike wrote in post #6320527external link
I've posted this before....

Mike, I have seen your post before, and think it is quite nice. The white canvas roof is needed to avoid light through a colored roof skewing the images. As I see it, one of the biggest investments is in the inventory of photos. Can you give us a brief synopsis of the costs you have in inventory at any given time, and initial costs of tent, etc? Also, how did you decide which prints to stock the most? Did you start out with the same number of each print, and then adjust the inventory over time as you gained sales history??

Thanks for your advice . . .

Post #8, Sep 17, 2008 12:10:46

Facebookexternal link or Websiteexternal link

Hikin ­ Mike
Joined Aug 2005
6,164 posts
Atwater, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

michaelgreen78 wrote in post #6325524external link
That's a lovely setup you have there Mike.

This is something I'd like to venture into too, there is a shortage of photography stands at some of the fairs that I see. However, being a noob at this sort of print sale side of things, when you say that the prints need to be matted and backed, what exactly is matting and backing a print? I think I can work out the putting into clear bags though!

Follow the link. http://www.documounts.​com ...ew-to-matting-and-framingexternal link

golfecho wrote in post #6326089external link
Mike, I have seen your post before, and think it is quite nice. The white canvas roof is needed to avoid light through a colored roof skewing the images. As I see it, one of the biggest investments is in the inventory of photos. Can you give us a brief synopsis of the costs you have in inventory at any given time, and initial costs of tent, etc? Also, how did you decide which prints to stock the most? Did you start out with the same number of each print, and then adjust the inventory over time as you gained sales history??

Thanks for your advice . . .

I would guess that all of the initial costs (tent, walls, stands etc) are about $1000.

I've started in 2005, but I've only done a few shows...probably less the 6 because for the past 3 years I've been hospitalized several times. Now that I'm "better" I plan on getting my inventory back up to par for spring 2009. Here's my recent story in the local paper.
http://www.mercedsunst​ar.com/167/story/45393​1.htmlexternal link

How to decide what prints to stock and what size? If you can figure that out...let ME know! It's a guessing game. I make a guess as what MAY sell based on MY tastes, my wife and the forums. Just today I got an order (website) of a print that I wasn't even going to stock, but I decided to post it. Within 3 days I got an order.

For a show I print at least 2 of everything I have on my greeting cards. There cheap and people like them. I'll print 75% of my stuff in 5x7, maybe 50% on 8x12, 25% in 10x15 and select 16 x 24 and larger framed pieces. I also frame select 8x12, 10x15 etc too.

I have a spread sheet for inventory and I hope to see what sells and what doesn't.

Post #9, Sep 17, 2008 14:41:21

Images in the Backcountryexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Google+external link | Twitterexternal link
SEO for the Photographerexternal link | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masksexternal link
Canon 5D • 17-40 ƒ/4L • 300 ƒ/4L IS • 70-200 ƒ/4L • 50 ƒ/1.8 • 1.4x TC • Kenko Ext. Tubes

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
Joined Nov 2006
15,123 posts
Sandwich UK...the place, not the food!
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Mike, that's a great help.

I've started in 2005, but I've only done a few shows...probably less the 6 because for the past 3 years I've been hospitalized several times. Now that I'm "better" I plan on getting my inventory back up to par for spring 2009. Here's my recent story in the local paper.
http://www.mercedsunst​ar.com/167/story/45393​1.htmlexternal link

Wow, you have really been through it! I hope your recovery keeps going well and good luck with getting about in 2009.

Post #10, Sep 17, 2008 16:13:55

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.ukexternal link
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickrexternal link Blogexternal link 5∞pxexternal link

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Yarin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2003
104 posts
Guttenberg, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

The show is in West New York, NJ. This will be my first time selling prints.
Thanks for all of the great info! I checked out http://www.documounts.​com/builders/precuts/4​0/494/#external link . Are 8.5"x11"prints just not a popular size? It's typically hard finding frames in this size, esp with a precut mat. I don't need 25 of each, especially in the larger sizes, i did find a few sources that sell individually. Or maybe I'll locate a local store that sells the kit.

How do you get the picture to stick in the opening within the mat? I ordered prints from AdoramaPix and Snapfish for sizes larger than 8.5x11" (11x14, 16x20, 20x30). I'm planning on printing everything else at home on a Canon iP4200. This is just a trial run, i'm curious if i'll find demand for prints.

Thanks for all the info!

Post #11, Sep 18, 2008 13:26:26

Canon 50D with a bunch of lenses

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,101 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Questions about selling prints

Selling pictures as Fine Art question

Post #12, Jul 14, 2009 11:19:20

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

beachbum2277
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2006
1,064 posts
Chicago, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Hikin Mike wrote in post #6327380external link
For a show I print at least 2 of everything I have on my greeting cards. There cheap and people like them. I'll print 75% of my stuff in 5x7, maybe 50% on 8x12, 25% in 10x15 and select 16 x 24 and larger framed pieces. I also frame select 8x12, 10x15 etc too.

Mike, how have your sales been for the greeting cards? How are they laid out? Are the blank on the inside? What about photo postcards?

I'm trying to get a feel as to what I should make available if I decide to do a fair or two this/next summer.

Post #13, Mar 08, 2010 12:12:47

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.comexternal link

My Gear

Tom ­ Reichner
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2008
5,617 posts
Washington state, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Backing and clear bags are a necessity. Mattes are nice, but not necessary, as many people will likely want to choose matting options themselves when they decide on framing options. You don't want people to feel like they're paying for something that they're just going to throw out (such as a plain white matte when they're going to want to double matte the print using two complimentary colors).

Post #14, Mar 08, 2010 12:33:44

Wildlife Photographed in the Wild: http://www.tomreichner​.com/Wildlifeexternal link
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/9036119@N02/external link
Please do not send me a PM! Email me instead at tomreichner@yahoo.com My PM inbox is full, and I don't want to delete what's there. Email never gets full; please use that instead - I'd love to hear from you!

Hikin ­ Mike
Joined Aug 2005
6,164 posts
Atwater, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

beachbum2277 wrote in post #9752788external link
Mike, how have your sales been for the greeting cards? How are they laid out? Are the blank on the inside? What about photo postcards?

I'm trying to get a feel as to what I should make available if I decide to do a fair or two this/next summer.

I've only done one show this year, and it was small. It was a fund raiser for my daughter's gymnastics team last Saturday. I sold 2 greeting cards but 3 8-12s print/mats.

Yes, they are blank inside. I've never used post cards. I'm going to try and move to larger 8 x 12 an up photos. I still will offer note cards, but I'm not offering 5 x 7 anymore, at least not in my landscape photos. My birds may still be available as a 5 x 7 though.

Post #15, Mar 08, 2010 13:15:01

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,686 views & 0 likes for this thread
Arts & Crafts Fair - Presenting Photos for Sale
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES