Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 28 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 13:48
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Birding in northern Ireland

Formerly foolish member. Waiting for new title.
9,353 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Between a cow, a clock and tons of chocolate...
Sep 28, 2008 13:48 |  #1

I'll be going for 10 days in northern Ireland at the middle of October. My itinerary will be as follows:

Dublin - Tullamore - Clifden - (Connemara) - Ballina - Dunfanaghy - (Donegal) - Bushmills - Belfast - Dublin

Has anyone got any tip as to where I can find some good birding (and other wildlife watching) spots on the way?

DDA - C&C welcomed and encouraged
“A technically perfect photograph can be the world’s most boring picture.” (Andreas Feininger)

An empty account and a lack of talentexternal link

246 posts
Joined May 2006
Sep 30, 2008 08:42 |  #2

If you take a trip along the north coast you can usually get some good places. Causeway coast, Carric a rede rope bridge etc.

The majesty of the Causeway Coast vies for the birdwatchers attention with fulmar, eider, turnstone, black guillemot, buzzard, raven, chough and wheatear. Offshore are the seabird colonies of Rathlin Island. In the middle is the Antrim plateau - red gousemoor, bog and forest. To the east are the mudflats of Belfast and Larne Loughs, with the Bann, Lough Beg and Lough Neagh to the south.

One must if you have time is Rathlin Island. The west side has a bird sanctury with some stunning views of birds. I dont know to much about times of the year for best viewing etc. Can just remember going as a kid and viewing the birds. Quite a sight and good viewing platform. There is a ferry leaves ballycastle daily http://www.discovernor​ ...rry-Ltd-Ballycastle-P2057external link

Some useful info here:​ex.aspexternal link

Also slieve league in Donegal has some impressive sea cliffs. Here is a photo I took from the cliffs (Sorry No Birds)​ad.php?t=208712

Hope this helps enjoy your visit.

Canon 300D
50mm Nifty Fifty (Euro)
18-55mm Canon lens
70-300mm Sigma APO Macro lens

1,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
Birding in northern Ireland
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.