FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 03 Oct 2008 (Friday) 14:17   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

dchen99
Joined May 2006
834 posts
Illinois, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a 2GB Sandisk Extreme III CF card pulled from a working Nikon camera. I put the card in the card reader and formated it on a computer. Now when I put it in my 40D, first thing it says: this card need to be formated. But if I do so, it complains: this card cannot be formatted.
Any one has clue? Or it's the time to dump the card (although it works normal on the computer, you can copy file in and out of it)?
Thanks.
Don

Post #1, Oct 03, 2008 14:17:29

www.flashonstudio.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
peterbj7
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
3,123 posts
A Caribbean island in Belize and occasionally UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Don't know the answer to your question, but I'm not a fan of Sandisk. The only cards I've ever had problems with have both been Sandisks - one ended up being chucked, the other would only work on my computer. I've used CF cards since they first came out and have several, and no problems with any other brands.

Post #2, Oct 03, 2008 14:32:23

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

dchen99
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2006
834 posts
Illinois, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

ok, thanks for the reply.

Post #3, Oct 03, 2008 14:42:20

Jim_T
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2003
3,242 posts
Woodlands, MB, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Just a long shot.......

Did you format it FAT or FAT32? If you formatted it FAT, try again using FAT32.

Post #4, Oct 03, 2008 14:48:02 as a reply to dchen99's post 5 minutes earlier.

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
Joined Feb 2006
7,793 posts
Michigan-U.S.A.
[MORE/SHARE]

peterbj7 wrote in post #6431625external link
Don't know the answer to your question, but I'm not a fan of Sandisk. The only cards I've ever had problems with have both been Sandisks - one ended up being chucked, the other would only work on my computer. I've used CF cards since they first came out and have several, and no problems with any other brands.

I'd bet you're in the minority. I've used Sandisk for years in cameras, PDAs and other devices and they've performed flawlessly for me.

Post #5, Oct 03, 2008 14:58:33

My Gear

sponsored links
EnronRocks
Joined Apr 2007
557 posts
Murphysboro, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

runninmann wrote in post #6431784external link
I'd bet you're in the minority. I've used Sandisk for years in cameras, PDAs and other devices and they've performed flawlessly for me.

Second that.

If it doesn't work SanDisk will be more than happy to replace it, I can guarantee you that much.

Post #6, Oct 03, 2008 15:15:02

Name: Garrett
Visit My Websiteexternal link and My Galleryexternal link.
AIM - EnronRocks

dchen99
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2006
834 posts
Illinois, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Jim_T wrote in post #6431716external link
Just a long shot.......

Did you format it FAT or FAT32? If you formatted it FAT, try again using FAT32.

I did it as FAT32 (the default setting). I realized the title said NIKONxxx while the cards out of Canon always had EOS_DIGITAL as title so I tried to change the title with no avail.

I guess for <$20 I would just let it go, just curious if I had missed something silly.

Post #7, Oct 03, 2008 15:44:00

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
13,431 posts
Portage, Wisconsin USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Do not format cards in the computer, only in the camera. Try deleting/erasing everything in the card in the computer, then formatting in camera.

Post #8, Oct 03, 2008 15:53:43

GEAR LIST

dchen99
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2006
834 posts
Illinois, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the reply but I can't. That's the problem.

gasrocks wrote in post #6432118external link
Do not format cards in the computer, only in the camera. Try deleting/erasing everything in the card in the computer, then formatting in camera.

Post #9, Oct 03, 2008 15:56:06

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
6,674 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Why not, if I may ask?
I have formatted CF cards in computer million times and never had a problem.

As a matter of fact, performing full format in computer is the easiest way to fix problems with memory media.
Formatting in camera does nothing other than deleting the content and recreating the folder/file structure.

If the CF card cannot be formatted in computer, the problem is either with the card reader, or the card itself.

Post #10, Oct 03, 2008 17:16:09

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

If the card still shows the Nikon label, then the camera probably won't like it -- nothing personal against Nikon, but you will need to do a low-level format, or even something like fDisk and reformat to get the label blank, I suspect.

Post #11, Oct 03, 2008 19:39:17

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

sponsored links
peterbj7
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
3,123 posts
A Caribbean island in Belize and occasionally UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm with Tony - changing the label can have strange effects. Have you ever tried viewing the camera a picture you've renamed on a computer with a non-standard-camera-format name? It doesn't work.

If the Windows format doesn't work, try repartitioning it with something like Partition Magic.

Post #12, Oct 03, 2008 23:15:26

5D & 7D (both gripped), 24-105L, 100-400L, 15-85, 50 f1.8, Tamron 28-75, Sigma 12-24, G10, EX-Z55 & U/W housing, A1+10 lenses, tripods, lighting gear, etc. etc.
"I prefer radio to television. The pictures are better"

silvex
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
7,235 posts
Southern California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

EnronRocks wrote in post #6431896external link
Second that.

If it doesn't work SanDisk will be more than happy to replace it, I can guarantee you that much.

++Ditto

Post #13, Oct 04, 2008 01:47:46

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

Leonard ­ Wong
Joined Aug 2007
206 posts
Belmont, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Try to just remove all the partitions.

On Windows, go to Control Panel > Administrator Tools > Computer Management > Disk Manager, then select the partitions with for the CF card and delete. Then eject the card, and format in the camera.

On Mac, go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, select the CF card on the left, then select partition and delete all the partions. Then eject the card, and format in the camera.

Post #14, Oct 04, 2008 02:07:49

40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 30 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 F4 IS | 2x580EXII | YN CTR-301P | Lowepro Slingshot 200 | Kata R-103 | Manfrotto Monopod 679B
HV20 | WD-H43 | DM-20 | Manfrotto 390RC2
G12 | D10

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,169 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

peterbj7 wrote in post #6431625external link

I've got many GB of SanDisk cards and I've had more trouble with the 4 Kingston cards (totalling less than 3 GB) I have. And SanDisk Extreme III cards have a lifetime warranty.

dchen99 wrote in post #6432069external link
I did it as FAT32 (the default setting). I realized the title said NIKONxxx while the cards out of Canon always had EOS_DIGITAL as title so I tried to change the title with no avail.

I guess for <$20 I would just let it go, just curious if I had missed something silly.

I too am curious where you got this idea. I routinely format my cards in the computer; it's the safest way to prepare your cards for use in any camera without transferring file numbering. It's also a bit more effective, so if there is a problem area in the card, you're more likely to catch it before the middle of a shoot.

tonylong wrote in post #6433246external link
If the card still shows the Nikon label, then the camera probably won't like it -- nothing personal against Nikon, but you will need to do a low-level format, or even something like fDisk and reformat to get the label blank, I suspect.

Label names don't matter; I've got many different labels on the cards I use. And you can always change the label in Windows Explorer, for instance, the same way you'd rename a file. Or right-click, choose "Properties" and rename there. Not to mention the "Format" option of Windows Explorer also allows you to change the label. If none of those allow you to relabel the card, it is bad; let SanDisk replace it for you.

peterbj7 wrote in post #6434251external link
I'm with Tony - changing the label can have strange effects. Have you ever tried viewing the camera a picture you've renamed on a computer with a non-standard-camera-format name? It doesn't work.

If the Windows format doesn't work, try repartitioning it with something like Partition Magic.

File names, directory structures and volume labels are all very different animals. Volume labels are irrelevant; directory structures for different cameras can coexist on the same card, but file names are affected by the last file name on the card regardless of the camera it's from.

Post #15, Oct 04, 2008 09:23:58 as a reply to Leonard Wong's post 7 hours earlier.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,135 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D: Can't format the CF card
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES