Thread started 10 Oct 2008 (Friday) 00:02   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
2,165 posts
NJ, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Canon 30D + Rubinar 1000/10 mirror lens.
I'm just starting to get the hang of the Rubinar, I think it needs iron sights lol to target the moon sometimes :lol:

Enjoy

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3264/2872227871_1454d26a0b_b.jpg

Post #1, Oct 10, 2008 00:02:38

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Johnny9s
Joined Oct 2007
346 posts
Whistler Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice colour and exposure. I am not familiar with the Rubinar so I had to google it. Interesting looking lens. Is this photo a crop?

Post #2, Oct 10, 2008 00:43:25

My flickr pageexternal link
Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50 f/1.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L IS, Canon 100mm Macro, Canon 400 f/5.6L, Canon 1.4TC, Canon 580 EXII, Better Beamer, Sky-Watcher 12" Collapsable Dob
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=586230

bowtie`
Joined Nov 2007
416 posts
Indiana, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Johnny9s wrote in post #6470183external link
Nice colour and exposure. I am not familiar with the Rubinar so I had to google it. Interesting looking lens. Is this photo a crop?

I was not familiar with that lens either. Is it a *Russian* made lens? I read somewhere a long time ago that on a 35mm camera you need a tad over 2000mm to fill the frame with the moon. If that is true then a 1000mm on a crop body of 1.6? gets you around 1600mm effective ( yes I know its not true but it looks like it). Now the added distance of the lens to the sensor with the bayonet-to-screw adaptor probably changes or adds some more effective to it. I would hazard a guess that the image may be non-cropped. It sure produces a gorgeous image. Makes me want to throw my 100-400mm in the trash.

EDIT: It is Russian. If I was smart I would look way down at the bottom for Similar Threads and read first.

Post #3, Oct 10, 2008 07:21:54

DisrupTer911
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
2,165 posts
NJ, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you for teh complements, of all the moon shots I've taken in the past couple months this is so far my best capture and my most favorite so far as well.

I wish i had a mountain i could get up on top of now that winter is approaching so I could be closer and have thinner atmosphere to shoot through :)

I'm using a 30D with it, so the popup flash gets in the way. on my 35mm rebel XS film body the flash also gets in the way.

on a 1D series, it would fit w/o a extention tube.
I run the smallest Kenko ext tube at 12mm and it just barely clears the pop flash on my 30D.

its about 1612mm after crop X and ext tube.
I have it on a Manfrotto 190XPROB w/ Cullman 35nm Magnesit head and using mirror lockup, 2second self timer and cable release, i sometimes still get blurred images from the lens not settling enough.

my Cullman head is rated to 66#s of load capacity and with the rubinar it still creeps a little bit so I def need a better head to support it and its near impossible to handhold due to it being a mirror lens and it wobbles like crazy in the VF.

I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure I did crop this image a little bit, but even without cropping, the moon is still filling the frame up nicely and at 1000mm I love to just watch the moons movement go through the VF frame :)

http://www.rugift.com ...ras/rubinar_1000_le​ns.htmexternal link has a 2x TC that supposedly works /w the rubinar, and i tried a tamron and a promaster 1.4, 1.7, and 2x TC and non would communicate and I even tried taping the pins and the camera would error. perhaps I was doing something wrong w/ the taping i'm not sure.

also a 2x TC makes it 2000/22 which is so dark and long on the 30D i had trouble even finding the moon in the VF which is why iron sights would be so useful HAHA

Post #4, Oct 10, 2008 08:48:41

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
10,477 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Impressive glass and great results. Very nice.

Post #5, Oct 10, 2008 11:14:00

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com ...7/Nighthd/POTN%20Ga​llery/external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DisrupTer911
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
2,165 posts
NJ, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

thank you :)

Post #6, Oct 10, 2008 14:37:56

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,825 views & 0 likes for this thread