AF in the Dark!!! Do you use video light to focus??

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 07 Oct 2008 (Tuesday) 17:50   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac
Joined Dec 2005
14,854 posts
Cleveland, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

Yuri, by "dragging" the shutter at a lower speed, you allow some of the ambient background light to creep into the exposure, avoiding the picture in the coal mine shot. Your choice of aperture with flash will control depth of field, amount of brightness on the subject, and also influence background illumination to a degree.

Post #16, Oct 10, 2008 22:24:05

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
yuriyo923
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
2,271 posts
US
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd most likely keep the shutter speed at 50-80, maybe 30 if the subject is sitting to avoid having blured pictures. Maybe few slower speeds during the dance for some effect! I'm gonna play around with my flash once I get my second one and my trigers to get familiar with it.

You guys are right on keeping it simple for the first few gigs... I need to get comfortable shooting and getting some good angles, rather than running around setting and resetting my second flash. But for the reception, I think I'll have it with me and set it up pointed at the couples table to get some more light..

I'm about to put my son to sleep and gonna try some shots indoors with only few laps and flash :)

Thanks guys!

Post #17, Oct 10, 2008 23:24:46

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.comexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Just to add a little more information on the basics, assuming the flash automagically lights the main subject properly, F4 at 1/60th will have the background the same brightness as 1/30th at F5.6. The only significant difference will be depth of field. It's basic exposure, but how you use it is an artistic choice. Stu also uses full frame, so he will have to stop down a little more than I would with a 40D to get the same depth of field.

Post #18, Oct 10, 2008 23:27:20

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac
Joined Dec 2005
14,854 posts
Cleveland, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

Good additional commentary Tim - thanks. Not shooting crop I neglect to think of those issues.;)

Yuri, you are correct in stating that the slower shutter speed can increase the possibility of "blur action.".... been there done that, sometimes with very pleasing results, and sometimes not. The flash duration may be as slow as 1/500 - don't really know the Canon spec on that - but that will give the effect of a 1/500 second shutter speed. Of course if there is sufficient ambient light due to your slow shutter speed, or existing lamps, you will get "comet tail" blurring on fast moving limbs, people, etc.

This can result in some very interesting dance floor effects with band lighting, smoke, spotlights, etc.

Post #19, Oct 11, 2008 08:11:43

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

elader
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2005
2,374 posts
Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #6455932external link
AF beam on the 550/580 will help, and the 40D focuses great in low light. Don't worry about it, but if you have trouble focus on an area with contrast, like where a black suit meets a white shirt.

perfect response.

Post #20, Oct 16, 2008 16:25:05

Eric
FJR1300 rider
5D mkIII and 1D MkIII

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,173 views & 0 likes for this thread
AF in the Dark!!! Do you use video light to focus??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES