Wacom Tablet Advice

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 17 Nov 2008 (Monday) 22:08   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Right ­ Cranium ­ Imaging
Joined Apr 2008
416 posts
Seattle
[MORE/SHARE]

So I am putting a tablet on my Christmas list after hearing such great things about them and my PS workload increasing. Plus I figure it will make a nice addition to CS4 that should arrive tomorrow!

Anyway, I am just not sure what size to go with. My first manly instinct said to go big or go home and get the 9x12, but then I thought well, maybe the 6x11 would be fine and I have even heard a lot of people say smaller is better (for tablets of course) So I am just wondering who is using what and how happy with the size you have. (again your tablet)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Post #1, Nov 17, 2008 22:08:25

(Insert Over Used Photography Quote Here)
Canon Equipment - Mac Computers

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Mark1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
6,725 posts
Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

I want a bigger one. I have the Graphire 4 and it is to small. I have to blow up the picture farther than I like to to have the control I want. I see it as....lets say, a target. Do you want a 6 inch target or a 12 inch target. As the tablet defaults to screen = tablet, meaning the top left corner of the screen is the top left corner of the tablet...etc...etc... the smaller the tablet the less "resolution" you will get. An 1/8th inch move on the 6 inch target is the same as a 1/4 inch move on the 12 inch target. Wich do you think is more accurate?

But when it comes down to it I want the 12 inch Cintique!!!

Post #2, Nov 17, 2008 22:58:39

I started a new showcase site for photographers and models. E-Mag coming soon! Please considder submitting!www.thelatentpixel.comexternal link

PamR
Joined Sep 2006
114 posts
Orlando, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

The 9x12 is huge. I have the 6 x 11. It replaced my 6 x 8 Intuos 2. I like the widescreen format, and I prefer a larger tablet since I tend to use more sweeping gestures (like drawing) rather than just my fingertips. I also have space for it, on a nice sized pull-out keyboard tray under the desk. It's a very comfortable setup.

If you like smaller movements and/or you're not doing much in the way of big brush strokes, the smaller tablet should be fine. Bigger isn't always better. I know many people who are ecstatically happy with the little 4x6.

Post #3, Nov 17, 2008 23:17:38

Pam
http://www.pbase.com/p​am_rexternal link

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
19,389 posts
Camas, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've got a 4x6 Intous3 and it's great for my needs. It's my only input device other than the keyboard.

I'd suggest you check out the options as the larger the tablet the more key options you have and I find I would use more keys if they were available. The smaller size is still a big factor in my decision.

Post #4, Nov 18, 2008 00:46:17

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

spoofuser
Joined Dec 2006
66 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

An easy one to answer, get the largest tablet you can afford.

I have a Graphire4 that's probably a good couple of years old by now which has given good performance and I'm happy with. Being one of the smaller models (approx. A5-ish) it also fits quite nicely on my desk.

Based on my experience though, when it eventually gets replaced I'll certainly go larger for greater control, most likely A4; As much as I'd like an A3-sized tablet the cost will be a bit too stressful on my wallet and I'd have trouble finding the necessary desk space.

The bigger tablets also have more levels of pressure sensitivity giving even greater precision over the smaller versions.

Post #5, Nov 18, 2008 01:10:58 as a reply to Titus213's post 24 minutes earlier.

'You know zat another term for an iconographer would be "photographer"? From the old word photus in Latation, vhich means-'
'To prance around like a pillock ordering everyone about as if you owned the place'
'Ah, you know it!'

sponsored links
PamR
Joined Sep 2006
114 posts
Orlando, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

spoofuser wrote in post #6708907external link
The bigger tablets also have more levels of pressure sensitivity giving even greater precision over the smaller versions.

Just to clarify, Spoof. The specs are exactly the same for every size of Intuos3 tablet. The pressure sensitivity is 1,024 for all of them. Same for resolution, data rate, and accuracy. So don't think you have to buy big...the only difference is size. And price.

Post #6, Nov 18, 2008 01:23:30

Pam

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
19,389 posts
Camas, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

spoofuser wrote in post #6708907external link
An easy one to answer, get the largest tablet you can afford.

Intous3 Tablets by Wacomexternal link

Size can be optimum at smaller than max. Desktop size, total use, and preferences would dictate the optimum size for each user. In my case I tried a larger tablet and found it was more difficult to use, involving more large arm/hand movements than the smaller tablet.

All the Intous3 tablets appear to have the same pressure sensitivity and resolution.

Does anyone other than Wacom make a tablet?:lol:

Here's an About article on tablets.external link

Post #7, Nov 18, 2008 01:32:09

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

spoofuser
Joined Dec 2006
66 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

To clarify what my text didn't make clear, is that the comparison I was making was with Graphire (smaller) vs. Intuos (larger), rather than Intuos vs. Intuos.

Levels of pressure sensitivity notwithstanding, a larger tablet gives an increase of pen-to-surface resolution (i.e. finer control) without having to zoom in software to achieve the same effect; this is the main reason to go big, along with bragging rights :cool:

Or to look at it another way, an extreme example would be to try to use Photoshop with a tablet that has the same surface area as a postage stamp - assuming a 1:1 tablet to screen mapping then the lack of resolution (and control) is easily observed as moving the pen just an inch would launch the cursor across the entire screen.

PamR wrote in post #6708944external link
Just to clarify, Spoof. The specs are exactly the same for every size of Intuos3 tablet. The pressure sensitivity is 1,024 for all of them. Same for resolution, data rate, and accuracy. So don't think you have to buy big...the only difference is size. And price.

Post #8, Nov 18, 2008 03:42:02

'You know zat another term for an iconographer would be "photographer"? From the old word photus in Latation, vhich means-'
'To prance around like a pillock ordering everyone about as if you owned the place'
'Ah, you know it!'

PamR
Joined Sep 2006
114 posts
Orlando, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

spoofuser wrote in post #6709221external link
To clarify what my text didn't make clear, is that the comparison I was making was with Graphire (smaller) vs. Intuos (larger), rather than Intuos vs. Intuos.

Ahhh, ok. I understand.

I just wanted to bring up one point. The Intuos tablets can be re-mapped to smaller sizes. I can map my 6x11 to a 4x6 active surface area (or less, if I choose to). So anyone with a tablet larger than 4x6 can make it a 4x6 at any time. You are not "stuck".

But a 4x6 is forever a 4x6.

Post #9, Nov 18, 2008 03:55:34

Pam

stasber
Joined Apr 2007
160 posts
Cork, Ireland
[MORE/SHARE]

V useful thread, topical for me too (considering buying my first tablet). Thanks for posting & sharing.

Post #10, Nov 18, 2008 08:10:17 as a reply to PamR's post 4 hours earlier.

"David, what musical instrument do you play?" "I play the Hasselblad!" (David Redfern)

Peano
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
1,552 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Right Cranium Imaging wrote in post #6708037external link
So I am just wondering who is using what and how happy with the size you have. (again your tablet)

Size is really an important consideration. PamR uses a 6x11 and is happy with that size. That's 66 square inches of tablet area.

I use a 4x5 and have it mapped down to about one-fourth that size. Here's the re-mapping from the Wacom dialog box. That little red rectangle is the active area -- about 6 square inches.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://img265.imagesha​ck.us/img265/3882/tabl​ethb5.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

The upshot is that Pam works on about 10 times the area that I work on ... and we're both happy. So, it's worth your while to think carefully about the size that will suit your needs.

Post #11, Nov 18, 2008 08:27:51

---
Peano
RadiantPics.comexternal link

sponsored links
embdude
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
1,003 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

I am happy with the 9x12. I would not want to go smaller in my opinion.

Post #12, Nov 18, 2008 09:26:07 as a reply to Peano's post 58 minutes earlier.

-Chris
NEW: Photo Blogexternal link/ My Classic Camerasexternal link / Toys: Gear Sig...
Canon PDF's for EOS Digital Camerasexternal link
Free Photo Stuff Blogexternal link

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
19,389 posts
Camas, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Peano wrote in post #6710046external link
Size is really an important consideration. PamR uses a 6x11 and is happy with that size. That's 66 square inches of tablet area.

I use a 4x5 and have it mapped down to about half that size. Here's the re-mapping from the Wacom dialog box. That little red rectangle is the active area -- slightly over 6 square inches.

NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://img265.imagesha​ck.us/img265/3882/tabl​ethb5.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

The upshot is that Pam works on about 10 times the area that I work on ... and we're both happy. So, it's worth your while to think carefully about the size that will suit your needs.

And you can map the tablet to the screen by application. I use the tablet in FireFox and have just a small portion of the tablet mapped to the whole screen.

Post #13, Nov 18, 2008 09:46:41

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

Dermit
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2005
1,732 posts
Chandler, Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

I had a larger one years ago and thought it was too big. I have not had a tablet for about 3 years and am getting a 4x6 for my birthday in two weeks. It's already bought just waiting for my birthday to roll around. I hope I like the smaller size, I think I will. It's just sitting there on my table, unopened, taunting me every day...

Post #14, Nov 18, 2008 10:38:23

5D, 5DmkII, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX, PW X 5, WL X1600 x 3
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.comexternal link

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
19,389 posts
Camas, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I have just been accused of promoting the sedentary lifestyle because I only use a small portion of the tablet for surfing and email.....But I spent so many years running a mouse all over my desktop that I'm entitled. Right?

Post #15, Nov 18, 2008 11:40:46

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,880 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wacom Tablet Advice
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES