Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of November 2008 (Mon)   #1
Right Cranium Imaging

Default Wacom Tablet Advice

So I am putting a tablet on my Christmas list after hearing such great things about them and my PS workload increasing. Plus I figure it will make a nice addition to CS4 that should arrive tomorrow!

Anyway, I am just not sure what size to go with. My first manly instinct said to go big or go home and get the 9x12, but then I thought well, maybe the 6x11 would be fine and I have even heard a lot of people say smaller is better (for tablets of course) So I am just wondering who is using what and how happy with the size you have. (again your tablet)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of November 2008 (Mon)   #2
Mark1
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Wacom Tablet Advice

I want a bigger one. I have the Graphire 4 and it is to small. I have to blow up the picture farther than I like to to have the control I want. I see it as....lets say, a target. Do you want a 6 inch target or a 12 inch target. As the tablet defaults to screen = tablet, meaning the top left corner of the screen is the top left corner of the tablet...etc...etc... the smaller the tablet the less "resolution" you will get. An 1/8th inch move on the 6 inch target is the same as a 1/4 inch move on the 12 inch target. Wich do you think is more accurate?

But when it comes down to it I want the 12 inch Cintique!!!
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #3
PamR

The 9x12 is huge. I have the 6 x 11. It replaced my 6 x 8 Intuos 2. I like the widescreen format, and I prefer a larger tablet since I tend to use more sweeping gestures (like drawing) rather than just my fingertips. I also have space for it, on a nice sized pull-out keyboard tray under the desk. It's a very comfortable setup.

If you like smaller movements and/or you're not doing much in the way of big brush strokes, the smaller tablet should be fine. Bigger isn't always better. I know many people who are ecstatically happy with the little 4x6.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #4
Titus213
Cream of the Crop

I've got a 4x6 Intous3 and it's great for my needs. It's my only input device other than the keyboard.

I'd suggest you check out the options as the larger the tablet the more key options you have and I find I would use more keys if they were available. The smaller size is still a big factor in my decision.

Titus213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #5
spoofuser

An easy one to answer, get the largest tablet you can afford.

I have a Graphire4 that's probably a good couple of years old by now which has given good performance and I'm happy with. Being one of the smaller models (approx. A5-ish) it also fits quite nicely on my desk.

Based on my experience though, when it eventually gets replaced I'll certainly go larger for greater control, most likely A4; As much as I'd like an A3-sized tablet the cost will be a bit too stressful on my wallet and I'd have trouble finding the necessary desk space.

The bigger tablets also have more levels of pressure sensitivity giving even greater precision over the smaller versions.

Last edited by spoofuser : 18th of November 2008 (Tue) at 02:14.
spoofuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #6
PamR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofuser View Post
The bigger tablets also have more levels of pressure sensitivity giving even greater precision over the smaller versions.
Just to clarify, Spoof. The specs are exactly the same for every size of Intuos3 tablet. The pressure sensitivity is 1,024 for all of them. Same for resolution, data rate, and accuracy. So don't think you have to buy big...the only difference is size. And price.
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #7
Titus213
Cream of the Crop

Thumbs up Re: Wacom Tablet Advice

Quote:
An easy one to answer, get the largest tablet you can afford.

Intous3 Tablets by Wacom

Size can be optimum at smaller than max. Desktop size, total use, and preferences would dictate the optimum size for each user. In my case I tried a larger tablet and found it was more difficult to use, involving more large arm/hand movements than the smaller tablet.

All the Intous3 tablets appear to have the same pressure sensitivity and resolution.

Does anyone other than Wacom make a tablet?

Here's an About article on tablets.

Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #8
spoofuser

To clarify what my text didn't make clear, is that the comparison I was making was with Graphire (smaller) vs. Intuos (larger), rather than Intuos vs. Intuos.

Levels of pressure sensitivity notwithstanding, a larger tablet gives an increase of pen-to-surface resolution (i.e. finer control) without having to zoom in software to achieve the same effect; this is the main reason to go big, along with bragging rights

Or to look at it another way, an extreme example would be to try to use Photoshop with a tablet that has the same surface area as a postage stamp - assuming a 1:1 tablet to screen mapping then the lack of resolution (and control) is easily observed as moving the pen just an inch would launch the cursor across the entire screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamR View Post
Just to clarify, Spoof. The specs are exactly the same for every size of Intuos3 tablet. The pressure sensitivity is 1,024 for all of them. Same for resolution, data rate, and accuracy. So don't think you have to buy big...the only difference is size. And price.
spoofuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #9
PamR

Quote:
To clarify what my text didn't make clear, is that the comparison I was making was with Graphire (smaller) vs. Intuos (larger), rather than Intuos vs. Intuos.
Ahhh, ok. I understand.

I just wanted to bring up one point. The Intuos tablets can be re-mapped to smaller sizes. I can map my 6x11 to a 4x6 active surface area (or less, if I choose to). So anyone with a tablet larger than 4x6 can make it a 4x6 at any time. You are not "stuck".

But a 4x6 is forever a 4x6.
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #10
stasber

V useful thread, topical for me too (considering buying my first tablet). Thanks for posting & sharing.
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #11
Peano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Cranium Imaging View Post
So I am just wondering who is using what and how happy with the size you have. (again your tablet)
Size is really an important consideration. PamR uses a 6x11 and is happy with that size. That's 66 square inches of tablet area.

I use a 4x5 and have it mapped down to about one-fourth that size. Here's the re-mapping from the Wacom dialog box. That little red rectangle is the active area -- about 6 square inches.

The upshot is that Pam works on about 10 times the area that I work on ... and we're both happy. So, it's worth your while to think carefully about the size that will suit your needs.

Last edited by Peano : 5th of December 2010 (Sun) at 13:57.
Peano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #12
embdude

I am happy with the 9x12. I would not want to go smaller in my opinion.
embdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #13
Titus213
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peano View Post
Size is really an important consideration. PamR uses a 6x11 and is happy with that size. That's 66 square inches of tablet area.

I use a 4x5 and have it mapped down to about half that size. Here's the re-mapping from the Wacom dialog box. That little red rectangle is the active area -- slightly over 6 square inches.

The upshot is that Pam works on about 10 times the area that I work on ... and we're both happy. So, it's worth your while to think carefully about the size that will suit your needs.

And you can map the tablet to the screen by application. I use the tablet in FireFox and have just a small portion of the tablet mapped to the whole screen.

Last edited by Titus213 : 18th of November 2008 (Tue) at 10:52.
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #14
Dermit

I had a larger one years ago and thought it was too big. I have not had a tablet for about 3 years and am getting a 4x6 for my birthday in two weeks. It's already bought just waiting for my birthday to roll around. I hope I like the smaller size, I think I will. It's just sitting there on my table, unopened, taunting me every day...

http://www.pixelcraftphoto.com
Dermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of November 2008 (Tue)   #15
Titus213
Cream of the Crop

I have just been accused of promoting the sedentary lifestyle because I only use a small portion of the tablet for surfing and email.....But I spent so many years running a mouse all over my desktop that I'm entitled. Right?