Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of November 2008 (Sat)   #1
avantreverse

Arrow Fashion photography Lighting setup sugesstions / 750 travelite + 2 umbrellas

I am taking pictures for a school project on fashion. I rented out two 750 travelites from camulet and 2 umbrellas. Do you guys have any advice on how to set up the lights and umbrellas for some basic fashion photography shots. I am working with a 30d/ 50L / 420ex. Please let me know of any suggestions.
avantreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of November 2008 (Sat)   #2
johndevane

Default Re: Fashion photography Lighting setup sugesstions / 750 travelite + 2 umbrellas

There are many things to suggest, I just don't know where to start...
1. Search this site for examples of portraits. "lightingman" is a great search word.
2. Don't plan on sleeping, plan on learning, or else you've wasted your rental money.
3. Do you have a way to fire the lights? I'm unfamiliar with 750 travelites, but you might need more equipment. 30D+50L+420ex won't make strobes work.
4. Practice a lot on something before you get to the real people. Practice a lot. Find a picture that you like, and practice on something, like a doll, until you can replicate the picture.

Jeez, there's so much more... but I'm at a loss.

Good luck,

John
Old 29th of November 2008 (Sat)   #3
pellepiano

Default Re: Fashion photography Lighting setup sugesstions / 750 travelite + 2 umbrellas

There are many many styles of fashion photography. If you just want "basic," go for basic lighting as well.

But I would suggest that you find some images with the kind of lightig you want, and if its hard to figure it out how they were lighted, just post a sample here and someone will probably tell you in notime.

Good luck,
www.studiobild.com
pellepiano is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of November 2008 (Sat)   #4
avantreverse

Would love to emulate something along the lines of these pictures..
http://media.schoolofvisualarts.edu/.../RMK1_LR_L.jpg
http://www.m2kstudios.com/images/fashon_06.jpg

Last edited by René Damkot : 3rd of December 2008 (Wed) at 14:37. Reason: not the posters images
avantreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2008 (Wed)   #5
René Damkot

Converted the images to links, since they aren't yours...

First image is lit by two light sources: One (small softbox or umbrella or maybe beauty dish) in front of her face, above her jaw line. Second slightly harder light source (beauty dish or open light) on camera left, to illuminate the eyes under the cap. Another light, or spill of the main light on the background probably.
You can see the reflection of both lights in the eye.

Softbox on camera left I think. Reflector on camera right probably.

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of December 2008 (Wed)   #6
Bumgardnern

For super basic fashion lighting you can do one light with a real big modifier. So put one of those lights in a big octabox or a big umbrella on it.
Bumgardnern is offline   Reply With Quote