Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 29 Nov 2008 (Saturday) 01:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fashion photography Lighting setup sugesstions / 750 travelite + 2 umbrellas

avantreverse
37 posts
Joined Sep 2007
california
Nov 29, 2008 01:23 |  #1

I am taking pictures for a school project on fashion. I rented out two 750 travelites from camulet and 2 umbrellas. Do you guys have any advice on how to set up the lights and umbrellas for some basic fashion photography shots. I am working with a 30d/ 50L / 420ex. Please let me know of any suggestions.

sponsored links
johndevane
741 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Nov 29, 2008 02:29 |  #2

There are many things to suggest, I just don't know where to start...
1. Search this site for examples of portraits. "lightingman" is a great search word.
2. Don't plan on sleeping, plan on learning, or else you've wasted your rental money.
3. Do you have a way to fire the lights? I'm unfamiliar with 750 travelites, but you might need more equipment. 30D+50L+420ex won't make strobes work.
4. Practice a lot on something before you get to the real people. Practice a lot. Find a picture that you like, and practice on something, like a doll, until you can replicate the picture.

Jeez, there's so much more... but I'm at a loss.

Good luck,

John

MKIII, 40D, XTI, 70-200 f/4L, 100-400L, 17-85 IS, 85 1.8, 100 2.8 Macro, 580 EX II, 550 EX, Bee's, PW's

pellepiano
518 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Nov 29, 2008 02:37 |  #3

There are many many styles of fashion photography. If you just want "basic," go for basic lighting as well.

But I would suggest that you find some images with the kind of lightig you want, and if its hard to figure it out how they were lighted, just post a sample here and someone will probably tell you in notime.

Good luck,

- Pelle Piano
// Pohotography Site
www.studiobild.comexternal link

avantreverse
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Sep 2007
california
Nov 29, 2008 03:03 |  #4

Would love to emulate something along the lines of these pictures..
http://media.schoolofv​isualarts.edu ...10137/large/RMK1_LR​_L.jpgexternal link
http://www.m2kstudios.​com/images/fashon_06.j​pgexternal link

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005
enschede, netherlands
Dec 03, 2008 14:49 |  #5

Converted the images to links, since they aren't yours...

First image is lit by two light sources: One (small softbox or umbrella or maybe beauty dish) in front of her face, above her jaw line. Second slightly harder light source (beauty dish or open light) on camera left, to illuminate the eyes under the cap. Another light, or spill of the main light on the background probably.
You can see the reflection of both lights in the eye.

Softbox on camera left I think. Reflector on camera right probably.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Bumgardnern
976 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Nashvegas
Dec 03, 2008 20:29 |  #6

For super basic fashion lighting you can do one light with a real big modifier. So put one of those lights in a big octabox or a big umbrella on it.

sponsored links

6,012 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fashion photography Lighting setup sugesstions / 750 travelite + 2 umbrellas
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.