Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Thread started 25 Jul 2005 (Monday) 21:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: 3D (Stereo Photography)

FotOz
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Jul 25, 2005 21:04 |  #1

A quick inquiry, and this seems to be the post for doing same.
Are there any others out there who do any 3D / stereo photography?
Is there room for it here on this forum?
It's easy and fun, and adds an "extra dimension" to posts.

Steve P - Oz.

. . . Steve . . .
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fotoshoppeexternal link
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.

sponsored links
Keiffer
Goldmember
2,259 posts
Joined May 2005
Orlando Fl.
Jul 28, 2005 12:20 |  #2

Not sure what that is, but would like to see a pic of what your talking about:-)

http://kcschoeppler.fo​topic.netexternal link

ryno4youth
734 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Lincoln, NE (Deep in Husker country)
Jul 28, 2005 23:44 |  #3

Interesting Idea. I would also love to see some pictures.

Keep Lookin' Up!

20D (w/ Grip), DRebel (w/ Grip), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Canon 17-85mm IS USM, Canon 17-40 f4L, Sigma 28-105mm, Kit Lens, Nifty Fifty, Canon 75-300mm, 4GB Sandisk Ultra CF, 2GB Sandisk CF, 1GB Extreme CF, Hakuba HG-504MX Carbon Fiber Tripod, Slik Pistol Grip Head, Carbon Fiber Monopod, Sigma EF Super DG External Flash, Kata Backpack, POTN Neck Strap, etc.

Company Website: http://www.lindbeckpho​to.comexternal link
Capturing Memories, a thousand words at a time...

GeneMan88
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Portland, OR U.S.A.
Jul 29, 2005 00:10 |  #4

From what I understand, 3D photography is done by setting up two cameras a distance apart (I'm not all too sure about how far apart), then aiming each of them at the same point and taking a shot. You get a stereo photo in a sense (left and right). These photos are then put together via a program and with a special screen matched to special glasses you can see a 3D photo (it actually has depth). My understanding is rather limited, but I did see this demonstrated by a company that retrofits computer monitors so that they can display 3D photos... at the time they were filling an order for the US Forestry Service. I was told that the forestry service uses a special camera set-up to take the 3D photos. With 3D... they are able to make out how dense a forest is and can almost count the trees. A regular photo would be a mass of green with very little if no depth at all. It was pretty cool to look at some of the photos... but they were still working on improving the technology, and getting the price down so that it can be used by the masses.

1D MKI + 1Ds MKI + 5D MKI Kit - EF17-35 f2.8L | EF24-70 f2.8 L | EF 100-400L IS | EF15 f2.8 | EF35L | EF50 f1.4 | EF85 f1.8 | EF135L | 580EX II | 580EX I | 270EX II | G12
PDX/Vancouver Photography Meetup Groupexternal link

DxHatchback
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2005
State College, PA
Jul 29, 2005 01:53 |  #5

that sounds interesting ^

thanks for the read

Andrew M. Revels, Jr. | 1D Mark II N | 28-75 | 70-200

Buy my Tamron 28-75 for cheap!

FotOz
THREAD ­ STARTER
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Jul 29, 2005 05:17 |  #6

Thanks for the feedback y'all. 3-D or stereo photography is sh!t easy. Those of us with both our eyes functioning already have stereo (or binocular) vision. Your right eye sees things at a slightly different angle than does your left eye. Try this little experiment now as you sit at your PC. Sit back about 2 feet from the monitor and hold up a finger about 12" from the monitor. Look at the finger with only your right eye open. Now change eyes. Do it repeatedly - L , R , L , R etc and see how the details on the screen jump from side to side. Now focus on the monitor and do the left, right, left, right etc again and see how your finger appears to go from left to right and back again. Now, if you had 2 photos side by side in front of you that had been taken from slightly different positions (about the same distance apart as your eyes) you would have the same picture 'separation'. Here comes the difficult part, and not everyone can do it. When you have the 2 photos or the 'Stereo Pair' in front of you and you cross your eyes to merge the images, YOU WILL HAVE A 3-D IMAGE. See, I told you it was easy.

You can take 3-D photos with 1 camera, simply by taking 1 photo then taking a second after shifting the camera about 4 inches to either the left or the right. (See - left, right again.) This is okay for static scenes like landscapes, buildings or inanimate objects. For moving objects you need to take the 2 photos at the same time and maintain the separation. That can be done with a stereo camera. I have one such animal that actually has 4 lenses. Yep, it takes 4 slightly different views of the same shot. Obviously the greater separation is at the outer 2 of the 4 shots. It is not a digital camera. It is over 20 years old - called a Nimslo. Check it out on Google. I do have photos from the Nimslo as well as lots taken with just 1 camera (2 shots). I'll put them together and post a few over the weekend here in this thread, so you will see what I mean. Remember, when you try to view them you stare at the join between the 2, then cross your eyes to make the images merge. And believe me - when you get it you will be amazed, you will be hooked and I reckon we'll have a whole new forum.

. . . Steve . . .
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.

FotOz
THREAD ­ STARTER
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Jul 29, 2005 06:09 as a reply to FotOz's post |  #7

Okay, here we go.
This is a pair of shots I did around Port Macquarie (NSW) in October 2004.
You will see that I have put a white spot in the centre of the pair, and a red spot on each view. These have been put here to help you doing your first 3-D viewing.
Sit back from the monitor a couple of feet and stare at the white spot. Now cross your eyes and you will see the red spots start to merge. (Actually the entire photos are merging.) When you get the red dots to merge you will have both shots merged and you will be able to see 1 central photo in beautiful 3-D. You will notice the 2 original images as hazy peripherals. Once you have locked your eyes onto the main 3-D shot you will be able to 'look around, through the trees.'
For those of you who haven't had a crack at this sort of thing before - it may be hard at first (not everyone can do it) but as I said in my previous post - when you DO get it, you will be amazed.
Happy viewing, and please - feedback on how you went.
If the demand is there I'll do some more and help you with yours.
Cheers,

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

. . . Steve . . .

timstone
38 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Jul 30, 2005 08:43 |  #8

thats pretty cool, although i found it next to impossible to let your eyes wander to look around at anything other than the center spot without losing focus

clickit
93 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bloomington, IL
Jul 30, 2005 09:09 |  #9

Wow, that is really amazing. Never new you could do 3D without glasses or one of those viewers. Once you get the knack of it it is really easy to focus in. Post a few more. Would like to try it without the red dots. Do you really need those or do they just make it easier? Gotta try this myself.

Keep on Klickin'
Canon EOS 40D,EOS 50D, Canon100-400f/4.5-5.6L, Canon 17-40 f/4L
Canon 100 f'2.8 Macro

timstone
38 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Jul 30, 2005 10:04 |  #10

nah you dont need glasses.......haven't you ever seen those holographic posters they made about 10 years ago where you just stare at it, and if you did it just right a 3d image would pop out? i used to have one where the 3d image was an astronaut in a space suit :)

sprinkles
487 posts
Joined Apr 2005
london, uk
Jul 31, 2005 03:56 as a reply to timstone's post |  #11

heres a site that has 3d cameras. =)
http://www.loreo.com/external link

also, an easier way to look at 3d pictures is to place a card in the middle of the two photos and to place your head against the card such that each eye is looking at each of the photograph.

Matatazela
629 posts
Joined May 2005
Whangarei - New Zealand
Aug 01, 2005 06:05 |  #12

That wasn't so hard! The results are amazing. I have got to try this!

:lol:

FotOz
THREAD ­ STARTER
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Aug 01, 2005 06:10 |  #13

The red spots were just an educational aid, to get your eyes swinging!!!
Give me a couple of days to throw some more together and I'll post them, now that there is some interest. Either way, try it yourself. Put your camera in the vertical and take 2 shots of the same subject. Just move a little to the left (or right) between shots. Print your photos or using Photoshop put them side by side and view them. You'll know if you have them on the wrong side as the 3-D will 'turn itself inside out', Do you reckon we should see if we can get a 3D forum started? Administrators - you there? Helllllooooooo!!

. . . Steve . . .

FotOz
THREAD ­ STARTER
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Down under.
Aug 01, 2005 06:14 |  #14

Here's another 3D trick you can use. You know those puzzle cartoons they put in newspapers where you have to pick the subtle differences between 2 very similar pictures? If you merge the 2 images in the same way by looking at them and crossing your eyes, the missing bits from one image will become very obvious. Give it a go.

. . . Steve . . .

Sathi
656 posts
Joined May 2005
Albany, NY
Aug 01, 2005 09:12 |  #15

That was awesome. I have seen this on nasa's website with some pictures from the rover. What a great idea.

20d / Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Canon 10-22 / Canon 100mm macro

sponsored links

309,362 views & 1 like for this thread
3D (Stereo Photography)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.