Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
Joined Jan 2008
8,804 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

With the price points crossing, the 1DS Mark II is the new competitor to the 5D Mark II. The 1DS2 was released at $7,000 street price and can now be had on the used market for $2500, the same as the new 5D2. Which is more important to you?

- 21mp, 1080p video, higher ISO, more megapixels on the same size sensor, smaller body, bigger screen

or

- 16.7mp, pro build, 2.8 cross-type AF sensors off-center, 1/250 sync, dual card slots, 100% VF, a shutter that sounds like a well oiled machine (chukka-shunthh is the sound it makes)

If they're both a similar size and weight (with grip) and both the same price... I know which one I'd go for. The poor fellow who sold this one to me lost $1000 over selling it just a month or two ago (Thanks, Matt!). I'd post some samples but it has been dark the whole time I've had it...!

IMAGE: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/EOS-1Ds_IMG_0090.JPG/300px-EOS-1Ds_IMG_0090.JPG

Who else has skipped the 5D2 now that the 1DS2 has dropped like a rock?

**EDIT BY CDS***

We have a growing number of *Fan clubs revolving around specific bodies.
I thought I'd make a collection of them, so we can find them and keep them organized (merge in new ones etc)

The Master list is here

Feel free to point us to other models or threads that could be merged.

* WARNING: By posting in this or any of the linked threads you are wholly admitting in no uncertain terms that you are a snot nosed, milk drinking, knee biting, curtain climbing unabashed Canon Fanboy who's opinions must be taken with several large grains of kosher salt.

Post #1, Dec 03, 2008 08:47:31

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer external link••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image lossexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
clengster_77
Joined Oct 2005
613 posts
Philippines
[MORE/SHARE]

congratulation! i'll be watching this thread

Post #2, Dec 03, 2008 09:22:31

Canon 5D x 2
16 - 35L mk1 + 85 1.2L FD + 70 - 200 2.8L
50 1.4 + 85 1.8 + 580 EX + 420 EX + 055ProB + 488Rc2

stathunter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
5,580 posts
California & Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Excellent buy. It is a FANTASTIC camera body!

Post #3, Dec 03, 2008 09:23:37

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

nightlife-shooter
Joined Sep 2008
141 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I love the 1DS MII. Its a great camera that seems like many forget about. Its like the tougher big brother to the 5D. I still use a 1DS too. Love the colors out of the original a little better but the MII gets the job done when higher ISO is needed. And yes... that shutter has a sound of its own.

Post #4, Dec 03, 2008 09:26:35

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
Joined Oct 2005
8,405 posts
Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

other than HIGH ISO and weight, i can't think of a single reason not to get the 1DsmkII over the 5DmkII :)

Post #5, Dec 03, 2008 09:30:28

sponsored links
TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
Joined Jan 2008
8,804 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

nightlife-shooter wrote in post #6804519external link
I love the 1DS MII. Its a great camera that seems like many forget about. Its like the tougher big brother to the 5D. I still use a 1DS too. Love the colors out of the original a little better but the MII gets the job done when higher ISO is needed. And yes... that shutter has a sound of its own.

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to some light today so I can actually see some decent files. I wasn't thrilled with my first view of ISO 800 indoors but then I realized I'm looking at almost 17 megapixels and not 12 any more and that I can't compare 100% to 100%. I will miss the high ISO of the new bodies; guess I'll have to get a fast wide prime again...

The shutter has a great tactile feel. It almost seems like it has 3 spots as you push it down -- the first to lock AE (or start AF), the next stop takes one photo, and keep pressing a little more and it feels like it hits the "continuous" mode. Very nice. I like it better than the 1D3 I've borrowed, I could barely stop it from firing continuously every time.

Post #6, Dec 03, 2008 09:31:04

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer external link••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image lossexternal link

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
5,161 posts
Fort Wayne, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice Hoff. I went for the 1DIII instead of the 5DII, with similar reasoning to yours.
It will be interesting to see how the 1DsII works out for you.

Post #7, Dec 03, 2008 09:50:01 as a reply to TheHoff's post 18 minutes earlier.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2005
8,816 posts
CT
[MORE/SHARE]

Congrats on the new camera, Hoff!

blonde wrote in post #6804540external link
other than HIGH ISO and weight, i can't think of a single reason not to get the 1DsmkII over the 5DmkII :)

Yeah, that's what pretty much kept me in 5D territory over 1Ds. Even with the price of 1Ds MKIII's coming down I was a little tempted, but the lack of native high ISO just keeps it from making it a good choice for me.

I'm definitely interested to see what Canon will do with the MKIV's. While I probably won't be able to afford them when they come out, maybe in a couple years I'll have outgrown my 5D and be able to make a switch.

Post #8, Dec 03, 2008 09:57:02

connecticut wedding photographerexternal link

epatt250
Joined Oct 2007
769 posts
Central, Arkansas
[MORE/SHARE]

Hate to sound like a broken record, but how is high iso noise on the mkII full framer? It doesn't have to be ground breaking but is it at least comparable to 40D/50D noise?

Post #9, Dec 03, 2008 09:58:18

Gear- Why do you care? If my image is good it's good, if it sucks it sucks. It's most likely my own fault.
www.elipattersonphoto.​comexternal link

TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
Joined Jan 2008
8,804 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

My 1N has a new partner...

IMAGE: http://i33.tinypic.com/ot3d05.jpg

Cost for two Canon 1-series professional bodies? $2650.

Waiting until they are "obsolete"... priceless.

Post #10, Dec 03, 2008 10:05:56

JAcosta
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
1,522 posts
Korea
[MORE/SHARE]

I really cant decide between the two. I want the high ISO of the 5DII, and the AF of the 1-series.

Post #11, Dec 03, 2008 10:06:52

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickrexternal link
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

sponsored links
TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
Joined Jan 2008
8,804 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

epatt250 wrote in post #6804694external link
Hate to sound like a broken record, but how is high iso noise on the mkII full framer? It doesn't have to be ground breaking but is it at least comparable to 40D/50D noise?

I'll do some tests once the sun comes up and lights the clouds that are perpetutally in front of it... I need ISO 100 to have any comparisons and I can't get that indoors. I don't have an L-bracket for it yet or a tripod with a screw-mount...

Post #12, Dec 03, 2008 10:07:03

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
Joined Oct 2005
8,405 posts
Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

epatt250 wrote in post #6804694external link

i found the ISO to be pretty good to be honest. sure it isn't a 1DmkIII or 5D but 1600 is usable if you are careful and even pushed, you can get a good result (always expose to the right!!!).

Post #13, Dec 03, 2008 10:07:09

TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
Joined Jan 2008
8,804 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

JAcosta wrote in post #6804727external link
I really cant decide between the two. I want the high ISO of the 5DII, and the AF of the 1-series.

I weighed that as it was my primary decision, too. I figured I'd rather have better performance for the 90% of my images that are made in good light rather than the 10% that are done in low-light. I also weighed the possibility that focusing in that low-light would be even more frustrating than with the Classic since you can technically shoot in it and get an exposure but nailing the focus off-center is another question. I'd rather have focused but noisy over a cleaner file that is OOF.

Post #14, Dec 03, 2008 10:10:01

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
Joined Oct 2005
1,659 posts
Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
[MORE/SHARE]

other than HIGH ISO and weight, i can't think of a single reason not to get the 1DsmkII over the 5DmkII

I agree with this. In addition, I think the video would be a negative for me (paying for something I would NEVER use)

I think that the 5DmkII current price will define the bottom for used 1DsII pricing

Post #15, Dec 03, 2008 10:13:32

Kevin

Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
889,886 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES