FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk
Thread started 27 Jan 2009 (Tuesday) 20:06   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

readysetgocapture
Joined Jan 2009
681 posts
Victoria,Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I was wondering if people who have been to melbourne zoo australia, could post some photos? i will be going there soon and would love to see some photos to get ideas about what i might get or any hints or tips :)

Post #1, Jan 27, 2009 20:06:09

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Tess320
Joined Jul 2005
822 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

readysetgocapture wrote in post #7201606external link
I was wondering if people who have been to melbourne zoo australia, could post some photos? i will be going there soon and would love to see some photos to get ideas about what i might get or any hints or tips :)

If you have a look at my Galleries -

http://www.redbubble.c​om/people/durbervilleexternal link

They are almost all taken there :)

I go really regularly so if you'd like any specific tips just ask. Definitely choose a cloudy day because otherwise you'll have to write off a lot of the enclosures. Try and visit the big cats at around 11 - they get fed/waiting for feed around then.

Post #2, Jan 29, 2009 17:07:10

http://www.animusphoto​graphy.comexternal link
Canon EOS 50d
Canon 70-200 F4 L
Canon 100-400 L

readysetgocapture
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2009
681 posts
Victoria,Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Tess320 wrote in post #7215409external link
If you have a look at my Galleries -

http://www.redbubble.c​om/people/durbervilleexternal link

They are almost all taken there :)

I go really regularly so if you'd like any specific tips just ask. Definitely choose a cloudy day because otherwise you'll have to write off a lot of the enclosures. Try and visit the big cats at around 11 - they get fed/waiting for feed around then.

thanks, i'll check out your photos...if i have any question from them i'll let you know :)

Post #3, Jan 30, 2009 03:44:46

readysetgocapture
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2009
681 posts
Victoria,Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow you have some wonderful shots, i love "thoughts".
i have a question...did you see the frogs when you went? i love frogs and would love to see them and was curious if they have the green tree frog (its the green with orange eyes).
also what lens would you recomend? im curious, my longest is to 200mm and im tthinking of getting a longer lens.

Post #4, Jan 30, 2009 03:58:31

Tess320
Joined Jul 2005
822 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep there are frogs - actually there's a kind of 'new' section that's a bit hard to find but near the reptile house that is just for frogs. However it is pretty dark so you'd definitely need a 2.8 lens or better. There's also some frogs in the actual Reptile house - also quite dark. I haven't had too much luck in either section yet but have seen some others get some good ones.

200mm should be ok depending on how good the lens is - expect to crop if you only have 200mm though, 300mm would be better.

The orangutans are through glass and get very very close, so a 2.8 lens would be handy there. Gorillas are further away but sometimes sit near the glass, but it's a very glary section if the sun is out.

The butterfly house is pretty good, need a fast lens but the light is 'ok'.

Post #5, Jan 30, 2009 04:39:45

http://www.animusphoto​graphy.comexternal link
Canon EOS 50d
Canon 70-200 F4 L
Canon 100-400 L

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
readysetgocapture
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2009
681 posts
Victoria,Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Tess320 wrote in post #7218749external link
Yep there are frogs - actually there's a kind of 'new' section that's a bit hard to find but near the reptile house that is just for frogs. However it is pretty dark so you'd definitely need a 2.8 lens or better. There's also some frogs in the actual Reptile house - also quite dark. I haven't had too much luck in either section yet but have seen some others get some good ones.

200mm should be ok depending on how good the lens is - expect to crop if you only have 200mm though, 300mm would be better.

The orangutans are through glass and get very very close, so a 2.8 lens would be handy there. Gorillas are further away but sometimes sit near the glass, but it's a very glary section if the sun is out.

The butterfly house is pretty good, need a fast lens but the light is 'ok'.

Wow thankyou!
i will have my macro lens canon 100mm by then (it still on order, they are sooo slow) so hopefully it will help with the frogs.
as far as the zoom goes i was thinking of getting the sigma 70-300 that costs 315$au which i can aford unlike the more better lens i cant aford.
i actually went to the melbourne zoo last year but i was so new to photography that all but two of my photos sucked....i dont remember much of where everything is because it was bad weather and i didnt get to see everything..thats why i ask..i never saw the frog house or new there was one...all i have from going is a orangatan photo and a butterfly photo...
hopefully this time i can spend more time there ect...and get some good shots.

Post #6, Jan 30, 2009 05:19:09

blary54
Joined Dec 2007
156 posts
Madison WI
[MORE/SHARE]

Excellent shots. Thanks for sharing!

Post #7, Jan 31, 2009 00:01:23 as a reply to readysetgocapture's post 18 hours earlier.

Canon 40D
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
EF 28-135 IS
EF 50mm f/1.8
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8

LIST NEARBY THREADS
915 views & 0 likes for this thread
if you have been to melbourne zoo
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES