Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 05 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 18:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Modifying the camera - Astrophotography

Michael_Lambert
-ColdMember-
2,426 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Bradford, Ontario, Canada
Feb 05, 2009 18:47 |  #1

Much i read alot of people modify there cameras removing the filter required for deep space astrophotography.

My question is if i modify the body for Astrophotography can that camera ever be used in the real world? Or would it be completely limited to Astrophotography work?

My Canon Gear
Michael Lambert Photographyexternal link

sponsored links
Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,410 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Feb 05, 2009 22:06 |  #2

A modified camera will be permanantly for astro imaging only . Once the IR filter has been removed i don't think you can replace it . So make sure what you wish to do with your camera before you modify it !

chris.bailey
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Feb 06, 2009 02:03 |  #3

And depending on the mod, you also kiss goodbye to Autofocus.

slitherjef
*burp*
1,714 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Denver, Co / Behind the lens
Feb 06, 2009 03:54 |  #4

I sent my 20D to Hap Griffin to be modded:
http://www.hapg.org/as​trocables.htmexternal link

You can use the camera in the day time with a custom white balance (which I have yet to try my self). Day time images will have a red cast to them, but can be worked around. There is also a (very expensive) filter that you can screw on, I believe its called the x-nite filter.

This link is worth a read, but the mod instructions are for the 300D:
http://ghonis2.ho8.com​/rebelmodnew.htmlexternal link

Gear / Twitterexternal link / flickrexternal link / Blogexternal link
I shot a Nikon once... it didnt make it :p

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Feb 06, 2009 10:56 |  #5

While the modification will make a difference for deep sky I've been unable to convince myself to hack my cameras. My 20D has very good red response so I've been content with my results. My daytime use far exceeds the time I get opportunities to shoot deep sky so that weighs in on my decision as well. I guess if you've got a DSLR that gets no daytime use a modification to dedicate it to astro would give it a purpose.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com ...7/Nighthd/POTN%20Ga​llery/external link

bbulldog
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Germany but born in Woolwich, London
Feb 07, 2009 04:07 |  #6

So you dont really have to mod a camera for deep sky?

Canon EOS 50D gripped
Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 USM, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM
[COLOR=sandybrown][COL​OR=#000000][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000][B]Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Walimex 650-1300mm
Canon MR-14EX, Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash, CELESTRON C6-SGT

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,733 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Feb 07, 2009 05:10 |  #7

I've read and heard that the "mod" removes the IR filter, but you can replace it with another filter that just allows enough of the IR but you can also use it for "normal" use. There is a slight red shift in the white balance, but if you use a custom white balance, all good.

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

dpastern
Cream of the Crop
13,765 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
Feb 16, 2009 06:22 |  #8
banned

Nighthound wrote in post #7267566external link
While the modification will make a difference for deep sky I've been unable to convince myself to hack my cameras. My 20D has very good red response so I've been content with my results. My daytime use far exceeds the time I get opportunities to shoot deep sky so that weighs in on my decision as well. I guess if you've got a DSLR that gets no daytime use a modification to dedicate it to astro would give it a purpose.

True. But, why not get a 2nd hand 10D - enough mp, good enough noise, mod that and use that ;-)a I have an old D60, I might *just* have it modded for astro imaging. It depends on whether I decide to go with a proper CCD imager, which I do admit, is highly likely.

Dave

http://www.macro-images.com/external link

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Winchester, Hampshire, UK.
Feb 16, 2009 08:27 |  #9

bbulldog wrote in post #7273111external link
So you dont really have to mod a camera for deep sky?

Oh crumbs no, look at Nighthound's pictures.

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

drevilsmom
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Miami, FL
Feb 17, 2009 21:05 |  #10

So I take it there are no filters for the lens itself? I'm pretty sure it could not work that way, but I figured I'd ask! :P

Elizabeth

40D and modded 20D| 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | nifty fifty | assortment of pentax lenses with adapter
CG-5GT | AT102ED

umbra
379 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Loxahatchee, FL
Mar 31, 2009 12:00 |  #11

Just a quick answer to the original question. If you replace the stock filter with a filter like the Baader DSLR BCF Filter (this is for 400D, 40D, 450D, 50D, 1000D/Rebel XS cams), you can still use the camera for regular daytime photography. You just have to set a custom white balance. Also with the new filter you retain autofocusing.

The following are filters for each series of cameras:

Baader DSLR ACF I Filter: Canon EOS300D

Baader DSLR ACF II Filter: Canon EOS350D/10D/20D/30D

Baader DSLR ACF III Filter: Canon 5D

Baader DSLR BCF Filter: Canon EOS 400XTi (400D, 40D, 450D, 50D, 1000D/Rebel XS

These filters can be purchased from alpineastro.com.

I just modded my 40D and daytime as well as autofocus still work.

FYI...this isn't a simple drop and swap filter replacement. It's not an easy swap to say the least. It took me over an hour to swap the filter in my 40D and I have experience working with fine electronics. I take no responsibility if you decide to swap the filter yourself. If you want to have this mod done for you, pm strgazr27 on this forum as he offered to mod mine or google "hap griffin".

Canon 1DMKIII, 7D w/WFT-E5A, 40D modded with Baader filter, Celestron CPC1100, Astro-Tech AT8RC on a Celestron CGEM, some fast lenses, and some tripods...

sponsored links

8,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
Modifying the camera - Astrophotography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.