Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 28 Sep 2005 (Wednesday) 04:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Verdict on Sigma 18-125 DC lens

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Norwich, UK
Sep 28, 2005 04:27 |  #1

What is the verdict on this lens?

I am thinking of replacing the EF-S 18-55 kit lens with something with a bit more usable length. I do use the short end of the range quite a bit, so I wouldn't / couldn't compromise and go for a 28-xx lens.

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photographyexternal link • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

sponsored links
BugEyes
577 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Sweden
Sep 28, 2005 05:40 |  #2

I have it and I like it for an allround travel light lens and that's how I use it. It does replace the kit lens completely and adds more zoom range. But set your expectations right so that you don't expect it to replace all faster and higher quality lenses in the range.

Kameras, lenses and other stuff
http://www.sorkin.seexternal link

BrianEE93
550 posts
Joined Apr 2005
St. Louis
Sep 28, 2005 06:04 |  #3

I have it and bought it with a body only 20D. I seems very good but maybe I have a good copy. It is not L glass but is a great walk around on a budget. Below is a photo taken handheld.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2
Canon EF-24mm f/2.8
Canon EF-50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-85mm f/1.8 USM
Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro
Sigma 50-500 EX DG HSM w/1.4x EX
Sigma EF-500 DG Super w/BB
Manfrotto Mono(681B) & Tripod(3021PRO) w/Gimbal
Image Tank G2 OTG 40GB

JeffJensen
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Sep 28, 2005 07:20 |  #4

Great lens for a walkaround.

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Sep 28, 2005 12:48 |  #5

VERY good consumer grade lens. Not plastic feeling but far from EX or L grade build. Price point is perfect and hard to beat for convenience. If you're casually walking around or traveling in good day light, it's a superb lens to have.

andrewc
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Norwich, UK
Sep 28, 2005 13:03 |  #6

Thanks for the opinions. Was my birthday the other day and I got some money. I either put it towards a good long lens like a 100-400 IS L, or get something else with part of the money and delay the big purchase a while.

Whilst I quite like the 18-55 (I think my one is a pretty ok one), the lack of reach is a problem, and changing lenses is not always practical.

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photographyexternal link • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

alfa1six4
397 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Newnan, GA USA
Sep 30, 2005 05:45 as a reply to LightRules's post |  #7

fStopJojo wrote:
VERY good consumer grade lens. Not plastic feeling but far from EX or L grade build. Price point is perfect and hard to beat for convenience. If you're casually walking around or traveling in good day light, it's a superb lens to have.

My thoughts exactly. I've had this lens for about 5 months now and it stays on the camera 90% of the time. It's a good replacement for the kit lens, which I sold on ebay to help pay for the Sigma.

Gary C.
Canon EOS 20D

My Smugmugexternal link

sponsored links

1,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
Verdict on Sigma 18-125 DC lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.