Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 30 Jun 2009 (Tuesday) 09:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mac vs PC & Canon vs Nikon ( Porter+Cable Vs. Makita )

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,212 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 30, 2009 12:31 |  #16

Festool,. that's a little too esoteric for me where powertools are concerned..

I mean, don't get me wrong, they are amazing.. but man do they cost!
By the way, the "plunge cut" aspect is something Porter Cable was doing (slightly differently) way back in the 1940s or earlier...

Most circular saws adjust height via tilting, PC had one with a rack and pinion or worm gear for 60 years or so up until the late 1990's

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Moppie
14,728 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 01, 2009 00:59 |  #17

My drill drills holes.
It cost me US$10 out of a bargin bin.
I'll use it 3 or 4 times a year if I'm lucky, and when it breaks on the 5th use I'll buy another one for $10. :cool:

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jul 01, 2009 06:54 |  #18

I personally like my Craftsman. For the amount of use and the cost I could not beat it.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Jul 01, 2009 08:17 |  #19

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #8201046 (external link)
Also, despite the fact that DeWALT/B&D Industiral have absolutely dominated the cordless market since they took it forcibly from Makita waaaay back 1990, ... the current Makita Lithium Ion tools are pretty sweet and VERY lightweight.. a joy to use, and DeWALT's only answer seems to be a yet huger 18volt nicad...
So props to Makita :)

QFT--I'm the tool guy for a large furniture manufacturer. We started having trouble with DeWalt chargers and clutch assemblies in large numbers.

Now I have between 100-150 Makita LXT tools in use with 0 repairs to date--just battery replacments.

And I'm a PC.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jul 01, 2009 08:21 |  #20

SuzyView wrote in post #8200543 (external link)
People try to debate these things often here. My biggest debate is:

eat chocolate now or later?

Suzy you are such a lightweight. When you get to be hard core you will realise that as far a chocolate goes..... there is no later!

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Jul 01, 2009 08:23 |  #21

When it comes to power tool I am usually happy to just let the guy I am paying to do the job use whatever tools he brings with him ;-)a

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,686 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 01, 2009 08:59 |  #22

There's only one tool that's important to me, and it's been working since I'm about 10 years old, and hopefully it will continue to work well into my 90's. :lol:

me

Darsk47
Goldmember
4,261 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 01, 2009 09:01 |  #23

dave kadolph wrote in post #8205605 (external link)
Now I have between 100-150 Makita LXT tools in use with 0 repairs to date--just battery replacments.

In my line of industrial work, we use literally thousands of Makita battery tools, Stanley and Atlas Copco electric tools and too many pneumatic tools to name. We also have a sprinkling of DeWalt and Milwaukee battery hand tools.

The Makitas have great reliability - to get over the cost of replacing batteries which will eventually lose their ability to retain a decent lasting charge, we use refreshers. This device will wipe the battery clean and allow it to take a 100% charge again. Cost about $200, but pays it back quickly given our volume.

Darcy
5DIII, 7D, 30D, 24-70 2.8IIL, 85MM 1.2 II
L; 70-200 2.8L IS; 580EX II; a hearty laugh;
Pair of AB 800s & lots of other stuff 'n' junk.
POTN Fantasy Football; aka Wide Right (charter member & perennial also ran)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,212 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 01, 2009 12:27 |  #24

rklepper wrote in post #8205298 (external link)
I personally like my Craftsman. For the amount of use and the cost I could not beat it.

As a Craftsman, the actual make could be Ryobi, Black and Decker and a few other options. Sears and B&D have a very long history in powertools, for years they have been the main supplier for the Craftsman brand in powertools.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

DozerLYP
Cream of the Crop
6,570 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 01, 2009 12:59 |  #25

Go PC, Canon, DeWalt, Pepsi, Kraft cheese and of caurse American cars. :)

My Gear, My Zenfolio (external link), Meyhem (external link) And GO VOTE Flash gallery (external link) ---------------> Anyone of you has Multiple Personality Disorder
Home Improvement
Custom Brushes!

sponsored links

1,824 views & 5 likes for this thread
Mac vs PC & Canon vs Nikon ( Porter+Cable Vs. Makita )
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.