Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #16
Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed

Default Re: Cotton Carrier Review with photos!

The video is extremely convincing: http://www.cottoncarrier.com/video.html

The only thing I would be worried about, would be a very rare case where due to physical exertion (or odd body position) where the camera somehow gets turned 90 degrees, and pushed up - causing it to fall.

You have it in hand Derek - do you think that's a possibility?
Website
| FaceBook
Kendoway is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #17
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop

^ you're still worried about that after watching the video? If you are, don't bother with a holster. This one is about as well thought out as they come. Plus, isn't that what insurance is for?

thanks for the pics/review. Nice to see them "out in the wild".

and this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan j View Post
Um, how much for the belt holster and a button?

dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon Phil View Post
LOL The question of the last few weeks for many of us.
I'm not convinced I wouldn't like the chest harness, but if I could buy the belt portion and button for ~$75 or less I KNOW I'd jump in and try it. ~$150 (RRS) is a bit much for something I'm not sure I'll like though. The RRS issue is also a concern. Needing the additional clamp is $105, or do I go w/o and just not use this when I'm using a tripod?
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #18
Kuma

Really nice review Derek. That holster is really interestin. I'm not so sure about the chest harness.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #19
wytwolf

I would so buy the holster in an instant.
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #20
Todd Lambert
I don't like titles

Talking Re: Cotton Carrier Review with photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsen1 View Post
I'm not convinced I wouldn't like the chest harness, but if I could buy the belt portion and button for ~$75 or less I KNOW I'd jump in and try it. ~$150 (RRS) is a bit much for something I'm not sure I'll like though. The RRS issue is also a concern. Needing the additional clamp is $105, or do I go w/o and just not use this when I'm using a tripod?
That's my concern too... in my case, the plate for Acratech is only $89, but still... add that to the cost of the system and it comes to over $200.

I don't think wearing the vest would be my thing. I don't want to look like I have bullet proof armor on (although it would be cool it if was actually made of Kevlar rather than Lexan - especially some of the areas I go into at night with a camera swinging)

The belt portion would be the way to go for me, I think... but I don't know about $75... you're probably right, but I think $75 for a piece of velcro and round plastic disc might be a bit much... especially if I have to buy a plate to go with it (which I would, because most of my stuff is run and gun from car to tripod.)

Hmmm.. decisions decisons... maybe I'll wait for xmas or my b-day and see if I can't get it as a gift...

Sony A7R & A7S > Canon 5D3 & 5D2 | 8-15L | Nikon 14-24 | 16-35L II | 17 TS-E | 24 TS-E II | 24-105L | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 135L
Gitzo 1544T | Gitzo 3531S | Gitzo 5562GTS | Acratech heads
Todd Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #21
Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed

Quote:
^ you're still worried about that after watching the video? If you are, don't bother with a holster. This one is about as well thought out as they come. Plus, isn't that what insurance is for?

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree.

I just wanted Derek's opinion/feedback on the locking mechanism first hand
Website
| FaceBook
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #22
Photon Phil

I think the "turn and lift" feature would stop any unplanned ejection of the camera from the carrier.

Part of me is thinking that if worn under a button down shirt, the chest plate would be hidden but acessable and less obtrusive. I'd like to see if that's true. People would wonder how that camera is floating on your chest magically.

The sheer curiosity of this thing is making an order eminent. Then again Mr. Cotton will likely have a version 2.0 out with who knows what feature changes. Perhaps a sweat wicking fabric liner to the chest plate.
Classics:
Pentax Super Tak 50 f1.4 / Pentax SMC 50 f1.4,f1.7,f2.0
Photon Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #23
Todd Lambert
I don't like titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon Phil View Post
I think the "turn and lift" feature would stop any unplanned ejection of the camera from the carrier.

Part of me is thinking that if worn under a button down shirt, the chest plate would be hidden but acessable and less obtrusive. I'd like to see if that's true. People would wonder how that camera is floating on your chest magically.

The sheer curiosity of this thing is making an order eminent. Then again Mr. Cotton will likely have a version 2.0 out with who knows what feature changes. Perhaps a sweat wicking fabric liner to the chest plate.
and made out of Kevlar? LOL

Sony A7R & A7S > Canon 5D3 & 5D2 | 8-15L | Nikon 14-24 | 16-35L II | 17 TS-E | 24 TS-E II | 24-105L | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 135L
Gitzo 1544T | Gitzo 3531S | Gitzo 5562GTS | Acratech heads
Todd Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #24
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lambert View Post
I don't think wearing the vest would be my thing. I don't want to look like I have bullet proof armor on.
see, for me, in all the cases the chest portion works (skiing/hiking) I think I'd prefer a chest bag. Just for the added protection from the elements.... But I'd LOVE the belt version to basically replace my need for a camera strap altogether.

Quote:
The belt portion would be the way to go for me, I think... but I don't know about $75... you're probably right, but I think $75 for a piece of velcro and round plastic disc might be a bit much...
he's earned that much for the design and research time IMHO. Plus sourcing, molds etc etc etc. I just don't want to pay $100 more for something I doubt I'll use.

anyone want to split one with me? I'll buy the whole thing, you get the chest portion for ~$80?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoway View Post
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree.

I just wanted Derek's opinion/feedback on the locking mechanism first hand
gotcha.

and yeah, nothing against Mr Cotton, as he's done a great job with his videos/pictures, but I know he's partial to his own product.
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #25
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA

Quote:
The video is extremely convincing: http://www.cottoncarrier.com/video.html

The only thing I would be worried about, would be a very rare case where due to physical exertion (or odd body position) where the camera somehow gets turned 90 degrees, and pushed up - causing it to fall.

You have it in hand Derek - do you think that's a possibility?
I can't see that happening, and I wondered at first as well. The weight of the camera keeps a little bit of tension on it anyways, keeping it from lifting out. I even had it so that it would lift straight out for a while, and I never felt like it would come out.

With a small lens on, the camera can actually sit in the CC receptor with the lens pointing other than straight down, do to this tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
Really nice review Derek. That holster is really interestin. I'm not so sure about the chest harness.
I actually prefer the chest holder, especially for longer lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Lambert View Post

I don't think wearing the vest would be my thing. I don't want to look like I have bullet proof armor on (although it would be cool it if was actually made of Kevlar rather than Lexan - especially some of the areas I go into at night with a camera swinging)

It does look a little bit like you stole Vern Troyer's (Mini-me from Austin Powers) bullet proof vest and glued a camera on it.

I really don't care how stupid I look though, I'm used to it.

POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds
Full Gear List & Feedback

Last edited by DDCSD : 15th of August 2009 (Sat) at 13:58.
DDCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #26
dan j

Requiring the vest is really stupid right now. It's summer, who's going to walk around the zoo with a chest rig (Yes, I know, pros are still in the studios)

I really like that the button is easily removable with a coin and that it has the tripod mount continued through it. I was really sold on the Spider Holster, but it doesn't continue the tripod mount and it does not look quick and easy to remove without a wrench. I do like the Spider Holsters on-off lock better than a rotate-to-remove lock.

dan
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #27
samword

Thanks for the pictures and the short review Derek.

How long before you really start feeling the 'burden' with the loaded vest? Which part of the body feels the 'strain'?

Regards,

-Sam
Acc.: Skyport radio trigger, TTP (Belt system & slingomatic30), Digi-Cabi AD-060, CCCS Vest, Newton Bracket.
samword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #28
rang

Got mine yesterday when I got home!!!

Very well constructed. Nothing mounted yet (had major furniture honey do to do ... 'bout killed myself moving way to big stuff upstairs into a way too small room). Figure it's out to the zoo for a test run this Saturday.

Did mount the two CC adapters to the Bogen 3229 bases. And adjusted the vest and stuff.

Will post report.

BTW.

The current Photo report post is excellant.

Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #29
Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed

It's a really interesting system, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it (even though I seem to be the paranoid one here, regarding the camera falling). Perhaps it's just me, but I always feel a bit scared holding my camera without any sort "trapeze net" as a back up.

I would worry about possibly being pushed or shoved in a crowded situation, or possibly stumbling/tripping while moving and shooting - and the traditional neck strap acts as a solid back up. If I'm going to take a small tumble, I'd rather the skin on my hands take the brunt of the injury - than a $2000+ camera and lens. I might also be concerned about theft. Neck straps are a fairly good deterrent against a "snatch and grab" style robbery, versus holding an untethered camera in my hands.

Just some MacGyver style thinking here - but I'd probably design (maybe using an old camera strap?) a "leash" that connects to one of the camera's hard points, and then attaches to the harness.

Yeah, I'm paranoid

Website
| FaceBook
Old 21st of July 2009 (Tue)   #30
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by samword View Post
Thanks for the pictures and the short review Derek.

How long before you really start feeling the 'burden' with the loaded vest? Which part of the body feels the 'strain'?

Regards,

-Sam
It really doesn't wear on you. It does a good of keeping the weight in your chest area, you don't notice it on your shoulders.

I threw my lower back out on Thursday night and it didn't bother my back at all.

I actually wore the vest around the house most of the day Saturday and almost all day on Sunday. I had my 150-500 OS mounted to my MkIIn on Sunday, and found it very comfortable.

Quote:
It's a really interesting system, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it (even though I seem to be the paranoid one here, regarding the camera falling). Perhaps it's just me, but I always feel a bit scared holding my camera without any sort "trapeze net" as a back up.

I would worry about possibly being pushed or shoved in a crowded situation, or possibly stumbling/tripping while moving and shooting - and the traditional neck strap acts as a solid back up. If I'm going to take a small tumble, I'd rather the skin on my hands take the brunt of the injury - than a $2000+ camera and lens. I might also be concerned about theft. Neck straps are a fairly good deterrent against a "snatch and grab" style robbery, versus holding an untethered camera in my hands.

Just some MacGyver style thinking here - but I'd probably design (maybe using an old camera strap?) a "leash" that connects to one of the camera's hard points, and then attaches to the harness.

Yeah, I'm paranoid
Ha! A hand strap is nice to have with this. I have one on my MkIIn, but not on my 20D. I actually took my neck straps off shortly after I got it. It is so nice not to have them hanging around.

The way I figure it, it is almost worse to have a camera hanging loose during a fall than to have it attached to your hand with a hand strap or firm grip. That's my theory at least.

POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds
Full Gear List & Feedback
DDCSD is offline   Reply With Quote