Thread started 20 Jul 2009 (Monday) 23:48   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
Joined Jul 2007
3,793 posts
Charlottesville, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

The video is extremely convincing: http://www.cottoncarri​er.com/video.htmlexternal link

The only thing I would be worried about, would be a very rare case where due to physical exertion (or odd body position) where the camera somehow gets turned 90 degrees, and pushed up - causing it to fall.

You have it in hand Derek - do you think that's a possibility?

Post #16, Jul 21, 2009 08:04:59

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Websiteexternal link
| FaceBookexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2006
9,605 posts
Mt View, RI
[MORE/SHARE]

^ you're still worried about that after watching the video? If you are, don't bother with a holster. This one is about as well thought out as they come. Plus, isn't that what insurance is for?

thanks for the pics/review. Nice to see them "out in the wild".

and this:

dan j wrote in post #8316039external link
Um, how much for the belt holster and a button?

dan

Photon Phil wrote in post #8316047external link
LOL The question of the last few weeks for many of us.

I'm not convinced I wouldn't like the chest harness, but if I could buy the belt portion and button for ~$75 or less I KNOW I'd jump in and try it. ~$150 (RRS) is a bit much for something I'm not sure I'll like though. The RRS issue is also a concern. Needing the additional clamp is $105, or do I go w/o and just not use this when I'm using a tripod?

Post #17, Jul 21, 2009 08:19:51 as a reply to Kendoway's post 14 minutes earlier.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

Kuma
Joined May 2007
996 posts
The Igloo spirit remains
[MORE/SHARE]

Really nice review Derek. That holster is really interestin. I'm not so sure about the chest harness.

Post #18, Jul 21, 2009 08:31:03 as a reply to jacobsen1's post 11 minutes earlier.

wytwolf
Joined Jun 2006
152 posts
St. John's NL Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I would so buy the holster in an instant.

Post #19, Jul 21, 2009 08:39:38

Gear: Canon 50D, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Speedlite 430EX
2011 15" MBP, Aperture 3

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
Joined May 2009
12,501 posts
On The Roads Across America
[MORE/SHARE]

jacobsen1 wrote in post #8317456external link
I'm not convinced I wouldn't like the chest harness, but if I could buy the belt portion and button for ~$75 or less I KNOW I'd jump in and try it. ~$150 (RRS) is a bit much for something I'm not sure I'll like though. The RRS issue is also a concern. Needing the additional clamp is $105, or do I go w/o and just not use this when I'm using a tripod?

That's my concern too... in my case, the plate for Acratech is only $89, but still... add that to the cost of the system and it comes to over $200.

I don't think wearing the vest would be my thing. I don't want to look like I have bullet proof armor on (although it would be cool it if was actually made of Kevlar rather than Lexan - especially some of the areas I go into at night with a camera swinging)

The belt portion would be the way to go for me, I think... but I don't know about $75... you're probably right, but I think $75 for a piece of velcro and round plastic disc might be a bit much... especially if I have to buy a plate to go with it (which I would, because most of my stuff is run and gun from car to tripod.)

Hmmm.. decisions decisons... maybe I'll wait for xmas or my b-day and see if I can't get it as a gift... :lol:

Post #20, Jul 21, 2009 08:44:15

» America By Twilight - The Ultimate Photography Roadtripexternal link

I’m now living and working full-time on-the-road across the highways of America.
Accompanied by “Montana”, a beautiful Golden Irish who goes everywhere that I do.
Follow along on this modern journey to explore America by Twilightexternal link

sponsored links
Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
Joined Jul 2007
3,793 posts
Charlottesville, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

^ you're still worried about that after watching the video? If you are, don't bother with a holster. This one is about as well thought out as they come. Plus, isn't that what insurance is for?

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree.

I just wanted Derek's opinion/feedback on the locking mechanism first hand :)

Post #21, Jul 21, 2009 09:10:52

☼ Christian D.
"Ask someone who’s running out of a burning home what they’ll grab. Nine times out of 10, it’s the photo album".
- Scott Bourne
Websiteexternal link
| FaceBookexternal link

Photon ­ Phil
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
1,762 posts
Capturing Photons in Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

I think the "turn and lift" feature would stop any unplanned ejection of the camera from the carrier.

Part of me is thinking that if worn under a button down shirt, the chest plate would be hidden but acessable and less obtrusive. I'd like to see if that's true. People would wonder how that camera is floating on your chest magically.

The sheer curiosity of this thing is making an order eminent. Then again Mr. Cotton will likely have a version 2.0 out with who knows what feature changes. Perhaps a sweat wicking fabric liner to the chest plate.

Post #22, Jul 21, 2009 09:25:18

Bodies: SONY A850 / Pentax K100D / D70 (18-55VR, 55-200)
Primes: Minolta 28 ff2.8 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Minolta 50 f2.8 Macro
Zooms: 35-70 f4 / 100-200 f4.5 Lights: AB800 / AB400 & CSRB's
Classics:
Pentax Super Tak 50 f1.4 / Pentax SMC 50 f1.4,f1.7,f2.0

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
Joined May 2009
12,501 posts
On The Roads Across America
[MORE/SHARE]

Photon Phil wrote in post #8317730external link
I think the "turn and lift" feature would stop any unplanned ejection of the camera from the carrier.

Part of me is thinking that if worn under a button down shirt, the chest plate would be hidden but acessable and less obtrusive. I'd like to see if that's true. People would wonder how that camera is floating on your chest magically.

The sheer curiosity of this thing is making an order eminent. Then again Mr. Cotton will likely have a version 2.0 out with who knows what feature changes. Perhaps a sweat wicking fabric liner to the chest plate.

and made out of Kevlar? LOL :lol:

Post #23, Jul 21, 2009 09:32:24

» America By Twilight - The Ultimate Photography Roadtripexternal link

I’m now living and working full-time on-the-road across the highways of America.
Accompanied by “Montana”, a beautiful Golden Irish who goes everywhere that I do.
Follow along on this modern journey to explore America by Twilightexternal link

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2006
9,605 posts
Mt View, RI
[MORE/SHARE]

Todd Lambert wrote in post #8317559external link
I don't think wearing the vest would be my thing. I don't want to look like I have bullet proof armor on.

see, for me, in all the cases the chest portion works (skiing/hiking) I think I'd prefer a chest bag. Just for the added protection from the elements.... But I'd LOVE the belt version to basically replace my need for a camera strap altogether.

The belt portion would be the way to go for me, I think... but I don't know about $75... you're probably right, but I think $75 for a piece of velcro and round plastic disc might be a bit much...

he's earned that much for the design and research time IMHO. Plus sourcing, molds etc etc etc. I just don't want to pay $100 more for something I doubt I'll use.

anyone want to split one with me? I'll buy the whole thing, you get the chest portion for ~$80?

Kendoway wrote in post #8317667external link
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree.

I just wanted Derek's opinion/feedback on the locking mechanism first hand :)

gotcha. :)

and yeah, nothing against Mr Cotton, as he's done a great job with his videos/pictures, but I know he's partial to his own product. ;)

Post #24, Jul 21, 2009 09:55:23 as a reply to Todd Lambert's post 22 minutes earlier.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

DDCSD
THREAD ­ STARTER
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
Joined Jun 2007
13,313 posts
South Dakota
[MORE/SHARE]

Kendoway wrote in post #8317395external link
The video is extremely convincing: http://www.cottoncarri​er.com/video.htmlexternal link

The only thing I would be worried about, would be a very rare case where due to physical exertion (or odd body position) where the camera somehow gets turned 90 degrees, and pushed up - causing it to fall.

You have it in hand Derek - do you think that's a possibility?

I can't see that happening, and I wondered at first as well. The weight of the camera keeps a little bit of tension on it anyways, keeping it from lifting out. I even had it so that it would lift straight out for a while, and I never felt like it would come out.

With a small lens on, the camera can actually sit in the CC receptor with the lens pointing other than straight down, do to this tension.

Kuma wrote in post #8317501external link
Really nice review Derek. That holster is really interestin. I'm not so sure about the chest harness.

I actually prefer the chest holder, especially for longer lenses.

Todd Lambert wrote in post #8317559external link
I don't think wearing the vest would be my thing. I don't want to look like I have bullet proof armor on (although it would be cool it if was actually made of Kevlar rather than Lexan - especially some of the areas I go into at night with a camera swinging)

It does look a little bit like you stole Vern Troyer's (Mini-me from Austin Powers) bullet proof vest and glued a camera on it. :lol:

I really don't care how stupid I look though, I'm used to it. :lol:

Post #25, Jul 21, 2009 10:21:09 as a reply to jacobsen1's post 25 minutes earlier.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=9903477#post9​903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

dan ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
1,575 posts
Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Requiring the vest is really stupid right now. It's summer, who's going to walk around the zoo with a chest rig :D (Yes, I know, pros are still in the studios)

I really like that the button is easily removable with a coin and that it has the tripod mount continued through it. I was really sold on the Spider Holster, but it doesn't continue the tripod mount and it does not look quick and easy to remove without a wrench. I do like the Spider Holsters on-off lock better than a rotate-to-remove lock.

dan

Post #26, Jul 21, 2009 10:43:54

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

sponsored links
samword
Joined Sep 2006
134 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the pictures and the short review Derek.

How long before you really start feeling the 'burden' with the loaded vest? Which part of the body feels the 'strain'?

Regards,

-Sam

Post #27, Jul 21, 2009 11:44:34 as a reply to dan j's post 1 hour earlier.

Bodies: 550D (x2).
Lens: 10-22, 24-70/2.8L II, 85/1.8, 17-40L
Light: 580ex-II, 430ex, Elinchrom Dlite-4 (x2), Prolite trilite (x2) hot lights.
Acc.: Skyport radio trigger, TTP (Belt system & slingomatic30), Digi-Cabi AD-060, CCCS Vest, Newton Bracket.

rang
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,623 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Got mine yesterday when I got home!!!

Very well constructed. Nothing mounted yet (had major furniture honey do to do ... 'bout killed myself moving way to big stuff upstairs into a way too small room). Figure it's out to the zoo for a test run this Saturday.

Did mount the two CC adapters to the Bogen 3229 bases. And adjusted the vest and stuff.

Will post report.

BTW.

The current Photo report post is excellant.

:lol:

Post #28, Jul 21, 2009 11:51:50 as a reply to samword's post 7 minutes earlier.

Lotsa stuff, running outta room and a wife...I keep looking at her and wondering??? :lol:

Kendoway
Cropped and Creamed
Joined Jul 2007
3,793 posts
Charlottesville, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

It's a really interesting system, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it (even though I seem to be the paranoid one here, regarding the camera falling). Perhaps it's just me, but I always feel a bit scared holding my camera without any sort "trapeze net" as a back up.

I would worry about possibly being pushed or shoved in a crowded situation, or possibly stumbling/tripping while moving and shooting - and the traditional neck strap acts as a solid back up. If I'm going to take a small tumble, I'd rather the skin on my hands take the brunt of the injury - than a $2000+ camera and lens. I might also be concerned about theft. Neck straps are a fairly good deterrent against a "snatch and grab" style robbery, versus holding an untethered camera in my hands.

Just some MacGyver style thinking here - but I'd probably design (maybe using an old camera strap?) a "leash" that connects to one of the camera's hard points, and then attaches to the harness.

Yeah, I'm paranoid :lol:

IMAGE: http://i27.tinypic.com/ncmg5y.jpg

Post #29, Jul 21, 2009 12:27:09

☼ Christian D.
- Scott Bourne
Websiteexternal link
| FaceBookexternal link

DDCSD
THREAD ­ STARTER
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
Joined Jun 2007
13,313 posts
South Dakota
[MORE/SHARE]

samword wrote in post #8318538external link
Thanks for the pictures and the short review Derek.

How long before you really start feeling the 'burden' with the loaded vest? Which part of the body feels the 'strain'?

Regards,

-Sam

It really doesn't wear on you. It does a good of keeping the weight in your chest area, you don't notice it on your shoulders.

I threw my lower back out on Thursday night and it didn't bother my back at all.

I actually wore the vest around the house most of the day Saturday and almost all day on Sunday. I had my 150-500 OS mounted to my MkIIn on Sunday, and found it very comfortable.

Kendoway wrote in post #8318768external link
It's a really interesting system, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it (even though I seem to be the paranoid one here, regarding the camera falling). Perhaps it's just me, but I always feel a bit scared holding my camera without any sort "trapeze net" as a back up.

I would worry about possibly being pushed or shoved in a crowded situation, or possibly stumbling/tripping while moving and shooting - and the traditional neck strap acts as a solid back up. If I'm going to take a small tumble, I'd rather the skin on my hands take the brunt of the injury - than a $2000+ camera and lens. I might also be concerned about theft. Neck straps are a fairly good deterrent against a "snatch and grab" style robbery, versus holding an untethered camera in my hands.

Just some MacGyver style thinking here - but I'd probably design (maybe using an old camera strap?) a "leash" that connects to one of the camera's hard points, and then attaches to the harness.

Yeah, I'm paranoid :lol:

Ha! A hand strap is nice to have with this. I have one on my MkIIn, but not on my 20D. I actually took my neck straps off shortly after I got it. It is so nice not to have them hanging around.

The way I figure it, it is almost worse to have a camera hanging loose during a fall than to have it attached to your hand with a hand strap or firm grip. That's my theory at least. :lol:

Post #30, Jul 21, 2009 12:47:55

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=9903477#post9​903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

LIST NEARBY THREADS
169,456 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cotton Carrier Review with photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES