|24th of August 2009 (Mon)||#1|
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Singapore / Seoul / Hong Kong
Firmware hack Rebel XTi /400D enables ISO 3200, Spot metering!
THIS IS UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME!
Guys at CHDK made it again! (Thanks thaibv and foldsea @ CHDK!!!)
A firmware hack for Rebel XTi / 400D that enables additional features such as ISO 3200 (and other ISOs in between like 500, 640, 120, 1250 etc) and SPOT METERING (yes! spot metering!) has been released and it works pretty darn well!
For more information and the required files, please refer to:
Use testfir.fir to make your 400d bootable from CF and then make your CF card bootable using cardtricks. (choose CF boot sector option) Copy the hack file (autorun.bin) into the CF.
Once all is done correctly, insert the CF and turn the camera on. The print button will light up (blue) momentarily to show that the hack has been loaded.
To change ISO, go to ISO menu to choose baseline ISO and then push the print button several times to switch to other ISOs. (ISO number in the screen will change accordingly)
100 - 100 / 125 / 160 / 80
200 - 200 / 250 / 320
400 - 400 / 500 / 640
800 - 800 / 1000 / 1250
1600 - 1600 / 2000 / 2500 / 3200
To use spot metering go to metering menu, and then push print button. Camera will beep and spot metering will be enabled.
To start the camera without the hack, insert other non-hacked CFs or just format the CF.
1. use a fully charged battery. you need CF card reader and windows. on a mac, use windows under bootcamp/vmware fusion.
2. update to latest firmware (1.1.1) by downloading the latest firmware, copying it into the root of CF, and running "update firmware" in the setup menu.
3. empty your CF, download testfir.fir from http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,1618.0.html and copy it into the root of your CF.
4. insert CF, and then run firmware update again using testfir.fir the screen will go blank. wait 5 minutes, turn off, take battery out and back in.
5. insert CF into card reader and perform a quick format.
6. --------------- UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS FOR BOTH < 4GB (fat16) AND > 4GB (fat32) CARDS: ----------------------------
download cardtricks 1.45 : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,4214.0.html (first download link). Run it to self extract the archive. Run the binary extracted, choose CF drive, tick "cf boot sector" and then click "make bootable."
7. download latest autoexec.bin from here: http://code.google.com/p/400d/downloads/list rename it to autoexec.bin then copy the file to CF card.
8. safely remove CF, insert it into camera, if the blue print led of the camera briefly lights up when the camera is turned on, the hack is successfully loaded.
9. to use additional ISO values, choose one of the 100,200,400,800,1600, and then push the print button to access more ISOs. (80/100/125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/ 1600/2000/2500/3200)
ISO levels 16/32/40/50 can also be enabled if you go to menu and turn "shoot without CF" ON, but not sure if they really work (i see no difference.)
10. to use spot metering, go to metering selection screen, then push the print button. to go back to "evaluative metering", you have to select other metering modes first, and then back to "evaluative metering", because the camera thinks you are at "evaluative" although you are at "spot metering".
11. to view shutter actuation count, which was only viewable by canon themselves, go to menu, push print button, push menu button again twice, ("factory menu" appears), enter factory menu, then push print button to enter "debug mode". after a beep, go back and set spot metering. and you will see the camera writing something to the CF (CF light). eject CF, insert it into card reader, you will see a file called STDOUT.txt, search the textfile for "Release". there you see a number and that is the shutter count.
thanks very much thaibv and Foldesa of CHDK for this wonderful hack.
Last edited by raingrove : 18th of October 2009 (Sun) at 12:43.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|XTI / 400D ISO 3200 (hack) vs. 40D ISO 3200 - Sample Pictures||BenJohnson||Canon EOS Digital Cameras||30||26th of July 2011 (Tue) 20:33|
|Pushing ISO to 3200 and 6400 on Rebel XTi 400D||BenJohnson||RAW, Post Processing and Printing||32||2nd of April 2009 (Thu) 19:05|
|Rebel Xti/400D Firmware Update Version: 1.1.0||blb66||Canon EOS Digital Cameras||0||25th of August 2007 (Sat) 22:32|
|350D Hack to ISO 3200?||EOSX||Canon EOS Digital Cameras||2||24th of November 2005 (Thu) 17:51|
|New firmware hack for 300D: enables FEC||SteO||Canon EOS Digital Cameras||35||10th of April 2004 (Sat) 20:47|