Thread started 10 Sep 2003 (Wednesday) 22:06   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

gail
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2003
1,460 posts
Tupelo, Mississippi
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi I need help I have the G3 camera and love it. But guess it's me I got to learn to use it right. But I have taking pictures with it now for about 3 weeks just playing with it here and there trying to get some good shots. Well, I can take like 10 pic of the same

subject and 7 out of the 10 will be blurred and maybe 3 of them will be good. So what am I doing wrong? I have tried it on all theses settings Auto, P, Av, maybe I'm not doing something right because I seen some of the photos taking here with the G3 and they are beautiful. I really have to work with it to get a good shot.

I will think I have a good shot then when I get it downloaded to computer it will have a blur to it. So can someone tell me maybe what I'm doing wrong? And what settings to use to get some good shots? Thanks

also I posted message to ask where to upload some photos to post here for me to show what I mean by my photos it's hard to explaned what's going on. I can show what I mean by the blurred I'm getting. maybe it's not blur. But I'm new to all this and I really don't no sorry.

Post #1, Sep 10, 2003 22:06:26

Camera: Canon Digital Rebel
Canon 30D :D
Lenses 50mm 75-300mm IS 18-55mm kit lens
75-300mm 35-80mm
Flash 420 EX
2-256mb cards
1GB card

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
kowen
Joined Jan 2003
133 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Gail,

How familiar are you with your camera? Have you ever shot in Tv mode?

Turn your mode dial to Tv and look at your shutter speed to make sure it is not set too slow. Unless you can hand hold very steady, and release the shutter button smoothly, "camera shake" might occur. Depending on your situtation, you might try keeping the shutter speed no slower than 1/60th of a second, perhaps even 1/125th.

If you use the tip of your finger instead of the fleshy area (softer shutter release) underneath your fingernail that might jolt the camera a bit more.

Bracing yourself against a wall, setting it on a fencepost, rock, table etc. and perhaps using the remote with 0 second delay-here avoiding pressing that shutter button will help with your shots.

Finally, get that rock steady tripod if you don't already have one-Bogen makes an affordable one in the $100-$150 range. Don't get the one's from Wal Mart, etc.-plastic camera mount heads ain't tough-they wobble. I can't believe I bought one of those things. IF you use the remote with these cheaper tripods-I realize not everyone has $100+ to spend-and it 's not very windy that will help-you aren't touching the camera.

You say you've shot in Av mode-that is aperture mode-the size the lenses' "iris" opens to let light in once the shutter opens. The aperture reading is on the lower right off-center of the LCD screen, the little green arrowhead points to this in AV mode.

If you shoot in manual mode, you can alternate between shutter speed settings by pressing down on the setting wheel to alternate choosing between shutter speed and aperture-when you press it down the arrow will move from your shuttter speed to aperture reading, then turn the wheel as you need. I really like this feature of shooting in manual mode-it is quick and handy. In the setting window on the top left of your camera, notice the shutter speed/aperture change depending on your choice.

One more thing, higher ISO speeds will give you faster shutter speeds but will also give more noise (grain) in your shots-.

Bottom line, a sturdy tripod and using the remote (or selftimer) might give your sharpest, steadiest shooting. Higher shutter speeds-1/160th and faster will help also.

Try the above-experiment. Write back if you have any questions, I hope this helps you, and have fun with your G3.

Kerry Elizabeth Owen

Post #2, Sep 10, 2003 23:25:03

msvadi
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2003
1,974 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

You did not post any examples, but I assume that what you have is not the motion blur and you always give the camera enough time to focus.

I see a lot of this with my G2 too. Usually it's with close up shots and indoors, low-light situations. I think that AF sometimes choses wrong part of the image to focus on. Sometimes setting the camera to the macro mode can help it to focus. Other than that, I think that the only solution is to shoot and re-shoot every image several times.

Post #3, Sep 10, 2003 23:29:56

msvadi
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2003
1,974 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

You can get motion blur at 1/60 shutter speed with full zoom. I think there is a rule on focal distance vs. shutter speed. A tripod does help a lot. I never had one before and I did not want to spend a lot of money on it, so I bought a very cheap tripod from the Wal-Mart :) for $18. Indeed, it's not very steady, but it does the job if you use a remote or selftimer. It's a good place to start. You can play with it until it breaks or you're ready for something more solid.

But again, it's not always a matter of holding the camera still. Sometimes the autofocus selects the wrong distance. Setting the camera to hyperfocal distance can help if you need quick and sure shooting http://www.marcjutras.​com/ehyperfocal.htmlexternal link .

And again, shoot every image many times. Choose the best image and delete the rest. It's one of the main advatages of digital cameras: cost of a single shot is zero.

Post #4, Sep 10, 2003 23:52:50

OmeRobbie
Joined Jun 2003
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi,

I had the same problems. Mostly in low light indoor situations.

Key-issue is to have enough shutterspeed and light to take that picture. what does that men in practice?
* When using Tv mode, there might not be enough available light.
* When using Av mode there, shutterspeed wil be less and motionblur easily occur.

With a little practice it's possible to take pictures without a tripod at shutterpeed 1/15.... But if the subject moves (like children and animals) a tripod becomes useless...

So what do I do? When poor light conditions occurs, I use the ISO-200 mode often and have great exposed pictures that I sharpen with Canon G-ISOR program (Fredmiranda.com).

When I want to be sure to have enough detail I use an external flash (420ex) with the Omnibounce attached to it. it works great and with 50-ISO you will always have greatly exposed pictures, no matter if the subject moves (like my 2 months old baby) and just by one click.

Now I can spent my time on composition and having fun with photographing instead of taking tons of pictures and reviewing them, hoping that those speical moments are captured welll...

Post #5, Sep 11, 2003 00:17:36

sponsored links
gail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2003
1,460 posts
Tupelo, Mississippi
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks to all for your help I will try some of the things your all recmended for me. I did a photo gallery I really don't no how to link it here I will try. And I put some of the photos in there that I had talked about in my post above. So maybe some of you can go there tell me what I'm doing worng. If I can get this link to work.

here goes...
http://www.bytephoto.c​om/photopost/showgalle​ry.php?ppuser=558external link

Thanks again for all your help. Hugs Gail,

Post #6, Sep 11, 2003 01:25:51

75-300mm 35-80mm
Flash 420 EX
2-256mb cards
1GB card

marcel ­ wouters
Joined Feb 2003
174 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Gail,
Some pics shows clearly a camera shake problem!
To improve
Use the Tv mode at at least 1/125.
Use a tripod or another blocking mechanism.
Improve your stability by training, you know like shooting with a gun.
Use the self timer 2 sec to dissociate the shutter button action from the shot.

Post #7, Sep 11, 2003 04:39:11

gail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2003
1,460 posts
Tupelo, Mississippi
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok I will try that I really do thank you all for being so kind to help me out. I really want to do this. I love photos, And want to be able to take some photos like you all have they have really inspired me. Your all are just to kind I love this forum. You get so much help here and the people here are GREAT! :-)

Post #8, Sep 11, 2003 08:47:05

75-300mm 35-80mm
Flash 420 EX
2-256mb cards
1GB card

stoneylonesome
Barn Stormer
Joined Aug 2003
10,458 posts
Connecticut, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Another alternative to a tri-pod is a good mono-pod walking stick they work great.
---------------
Leki http://www.leki.com/external link
Model # TJ2091-03 * Sierra Antishock *

Features: Wood Knob with Foam Grip, ELS, SAS, Buckle Strap, 3-section adjustable, Rubber Tip, Carbide Flextip, Remove knob to expose camera mount Weight-11.2 oz. each / Adjust from 75-145 cm

Suggested Retail: USA $69.95 each.(USD)/ Canada $109.95 (CD)
---------------
EMS http://www.ems.com/external link
• 3-section, telescoping staff for travel, walking and light hiking
• Carbide tip grips on rock, ice, road and trail
• Cork knob screws off enabling pole to be used as a monopod for photography
• Changeable basket system
---------------
just a couple to consider

Post #9, Sep 12, 2003 08:28:18

the name is Winston but they call me Sandy
"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Flowing River Photosexternal link

gail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2003
1,460 posts
Tupelo, Mississippi
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey sorry if this sounds dumb. But what do you do with this stick? just mount the camera on it and use is kind of as a prop to keep from camera shake?

Sorry I told you all I'm new to the photography world. I'm just getting in to all this. I no the tripod is good to take night pictures and such. I have one that I use for my camcorder.

But I need to get me one for my camera.
I have the tiny one that you can take sitting it on something. So if I got the walking stick if I were to take picture do I just mount the camera on the top and press the shutter to take pictures? are use the remote to avoid the camera shake?

Post #10, Sep 12, 2003 21:38:19

75-300mm 35-80mm
Flash 420 EX
2-256mb cards
1GB card

carbotex
Joined Sep 2003
26 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I had the same problem.

Maybe you forget the simplest thing about your camera. Do you wait for green box before you release the shutter? Green box on the LCD means that the focus is locked. Don't press the shutter release all the way. I usually do these with my G3:
1. Make sure the macro is off.
2. Half pressed the shutter button.
3. Wait for green box, then press the shutter all the way down.

If you get yellow box, it means out of focus, try to move the box on the contrast area of your subject until you get a green box.

Post #11, Sep 13, 2003 01:28:24

sponsored links
OmeRobbie
Joined Jun 2003
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I wouldn't go out and buy a monopod if I we're you. These things are used when there is a lot telezoom (>200mm) needed and the G3 has a focal range where is realy isn't a need for it.

First practice with non-moving objects. Rule of thumb is that when you use focal lenght wide angle -equivalent=35mm- a minimum of 1/35 shutterspeed is needed. Same with focal lenght at full zoom (equivalent=140mm) a shuterspeed of 1/140 is needed. You can use the information when you take the picture (use display-button) But with a little practice you can have less. There are a lot of tricks to have a solid grip. And hey, it doesn't cost you a thing and the G3 gives you all the feedback you need!

With fast moving objects a monopod is useless! Also when capturing family-moments it's a ridiculous thing to use a monopod. You have such a great camera which don't need it for such occassions. Use Av or the sportsmode mode for these moments.

It's 10 times better investing in an external flash like the 420ex. This makes taking pictures very easy thanks to the E-TTL mode!

You can also use "hyperfocal-technique" to always have sharp pictures. Use the Custom-mode for this with the following setting:
Av mode
Ap - 5.6
Manual focus on 5 or 6 ft.
Full wide zoom
ISO 50
white balance - Flash

Post #12, Sep 13, 2003 05:25:58

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,893 views & 0 likes for this thread
please help with G3 camera picture blur
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS