The Hoff's DOMKE J3 Review (with amazing photos)

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 19 Feb 2008 (Tuesday) 03:08   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

<AkulA>
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
2,038 posts
Tacoma, Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

You feel the difference? Worth the money?!

Post #16, Mar 17, 2008 18:17:03

-Brandon-

Gear - Galleryexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
Joined Jan 2008
8,804 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

Yea it is a nice shoulder pad. I have one and move it between bags.

Post #17, Mar 17, 2008 18:18:56 as a reply to <AkulA>'s post 1 minute earlier.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer external link••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image lossexternal link

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,165 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep - I've weighed a couple of my bags (not more than once, and not recently; I decided I Don't Want To Know!!!) at somewhere over 30 lb. It helps!

Post #18, Mar 17, 2008 19:13:29

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

GSansoucie
Joined Jul 2005
788 posts
Southern Maine
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the great pics. Are there handles on the bag? Or is the only way of carrying the J-3 (or any other Domke, for that matter) the shoulder strap?

I am ready to get a new bag, my Minolta bag is really not cut out for me, but I really like the handles that it has. I usually have a backpack on a shoulder as it is (my laptop) and can't hang another thing off it (the shoulder, that is). Since 80% of my camera bag use is to lug my stuff into work every day for my lunch time PaD, this is a very important feature/function. . .

Post #19, Mar 17, 2008 19:28:16

-=Glen=-
Flickr Streamexternal link
Check out my 2010 PaDexternal link
http://www.pbase.com/g​sansoucieexternal link

efroten
Joined Sep 2006
161 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

GSansoucie wrote in post #5136180external link
Thanks for the great pics. Are there handles on the bag? Or is the only way of carrying the J-3 (or any other Domke, for that matter) the shoulder strap?

I am ready to get a new bag, my Minolta bag is really not cut out for me, but I really like the handles that it has. I usually have a backpack on a shoulder as it is (my laptop) and can't hang another thing off it (the shoulder, that is). Since 80% of my camera bag use is to lug my stuff into work every day for my lunch time PaD, this is a very important feature/function. . .

Yeah there is a short handle strap to pick the J-3 up without using the shoulder strap. I thought it was an additional piece I had to order later one so i was surprised to see it on the bag when I get it.

Post #20, Mar 17, 2008 21:32:28

http://www.awordlessch​orus.com/blog/external link
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/efroten/external link
Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
psychosupreme
Joined Jan 2008
89 posts
Newfoundland, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

hey, I know this is completely random, but thats an awesome french press, I have the same one and the 8 cup model too!

and, well, awesome gear as well :P

Post #21, Mar 30, 2008 14:42:47

> My flickr Accountexternal link
> My Gear List
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mattreynolds/external link

TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
Joined Jan 2008
8,804 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

Mmmmmm... coffee!

We have a 12-cup for company (or really rough mornings) and for Christmas I bought my wife a very cool "travel Bodum." It is stainless steel and looks like any other coffee travel mug except that it has a Bodum plunger and filter built into the top. You fill it with grinds before you leave and then any time during the day you can pour in hot water and 4 minutes later you have 1.5 cups of personal press coffee... talk about making people around you jealous.

Post #22, Mar 30, 2008 16:38:07

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer external link••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image lossexternal link

efroten
Joined Sep 2006
161 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Just wanted to post a quick link to the photos of my J-3 that I finally got around to uploading. On flickr the photos have notes added them, so after the link mouse over the images to read the notes.

http://flickr.com ...72157606632234992/d​etail/external link

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3238/2747785910_28c0351752.jpg

After using the bag for a while now I can say that I don't really have any big complaints about it. It's very easy to get in and out of the bag to change lenses quickly, especially since it includes a velcro seal on the top flap. I only use the metal fastener for travel as it is just too hard to open quickly. Most importantly, it holds my gear perfectly.

As you can see in the photos, I had to use a few small dividers from my LowePro Mini Trekker backpack to divide up my two smaller lenses.

Thanks again to TheHoff. Without his review I may not have found this great bag.

Post #23, Aug 10, 2008 20:44:49

http://www.awordlessch​orus.com/blog/external link
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/efroten/external link
Gear List & Feedback

TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
Joined Jan 2008
8,804 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks, efroten! Nice gear and bag. Looks like we have a similar setup. I'm assisting at a wedding today and I hate not having something I want, so here is what I have somehow stuffed into my J3 today:

1D Mk III w/ 16-35 / 2.8 mounted, hood reversed
5D w/ grip
24 / 1.4
35 / 1.4
85 / 1.8
200 / 2.8 + 1.4x TC
580 EX II, demb flip-it
ST-E2
L-398 meter
lens cleaners, rocket blower, etc

Wow... that is more than I fit in my J1 somehow... I'm missing some of the hoods in this pack but I don't mind that; I like wedding flare. I may leave the 35 at home since I don't see much need for it with the 24 on a crop, but I wanted to see if it would all fit in securely.

Post #24, Aug 16, 2008 08:37:42

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
Joined Nov 2007
15,821 posts
Sacramento, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Great job Hoff!!!! Thanks for the review!

Post #25, Aug 16, 2008 09:00:40

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

b.d.bop
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
1,082 posts
north central Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

Fabulous review, Hoff.

The J-3 is the bag I reach for most often and that's saying something 'cause I have a bunch of various size Domke's and a Crumpler 7M$ bag, too.

I happen to love the ballistic black better than the canvas but that's a personal thing.

Compared to the J-3 I found the F3X far less useful and accomodating and I let my wife sell it on Amazon.
I LOVE the big pockets on the J-3 as well. I shove my 1DsIII body into those pockets, no sweat. It's also tres cool that this bag comes with the fabulous 725-53B J-series short handle - I use that frequently and in fact I bought some more of those for other bags and soft long lens cases - they're great.

Post #26, Aug 11, 2009 23:53:42 as a reply to ben_r_'s post over 1 year earlier.

Dr. Mark Polis 1DsIII | 7D
the Gear Arsenal | flickrexternal link | PBase galleriesexternal link

sponsored links
TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
Joined Jan 2008
8,804 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

I think all bags are coming with short handles these days; I got one on my last purchase, a black canvas F-804... but yea, I use it all the time. The J3 is my most reached-for bag as well. I shoot a 1DS2 now and I love that I can fit my that or my film body (1N with grip) in the side pockets. Glad you liked the review!

Post #27, Sep 21, 2009 17:56:32

LIST NEARBY THREADS
24,064 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Hoff's DOMKE J3 Review (with amazing photos)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES