Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Nov 2009 (Wednesday) 03:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Poster printing in the US???

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 11, 2009 03:51 |  #1

Got an enquiry for a photo of mine to be printed "at poster size" from a guy in the States. Any recommendations as to who I could upload a file to, have them print it and not make a shyte job of it, then get them to send it to the customer's address? I'm guessing that's an easier prospect then getting it printed here and posting it from New Zealand.

Thoughts appreciated ta. :)

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 11, 2009 06:11 |  #2

I just had a bad experience on my first print job...took them 3 tries to get it right. I would not deliver a print to a customer, sight unseen.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 11, 2009 06:42 |  #3

I just had a bad experience on my first print job...took them 3 tries to get it right

Care to name names?

Kevin

Gear List

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 11, 2009 06:45 |  #4

Unless i could gaurantee the quality of the printing service, i would want to get the print done myself and then ship it as opposed to hoping that they do a good job and then finding out they colours/saturation/sha​rpness were all off.

Especially when printing "poster size"

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 11, 2009 10:18 as a reply to  @ neilwood32's post |  #5

Care to name names?

Don't want to name names taking into consideration that they ended up giving me a framed 16x20 print as compensation for my frustration. Suffice it to say it was one of the more popular services.

I allowed them to do color correction as they saw fit, which is the accepted method, but...they have 14 color technicians on staff and 14 different opinions on what looks good.
In the future, I'll soft proof using their ICC profiles and allow no color corrections at their end.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

footballdude2k3
593 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 11, 2009 10:58 |  #6

i would just tell them to go to a local print shop

Cameras: 40D
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue][B]
Lenses: 28-135IS, 75-300, Nifty fifty for sale

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 11, 2009 11:01 |  #7

I've done a couple of 30x20 poster prints at Costco. Color was fine due to access to their printer profiles. My only issue was my lack of sharpening skills.

Kevin

Gear List

sponsored links

692 views & 0 likes for this thread
Poster printing in the US???
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.