FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 10 Nov 2005 (Thursday) 16:07   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Cr8tor
Joined Jun 2005
38 posts
Twin Falls Idaho
[MORE/SHARE]

A friend of mine recently decided to get married. They can not afford anyone to take pics and asked me to do the picturues. I have already discussed with them that im an amature and will do my best but can not garantee anything. I am not charging them anything and look forward to it as good practice both in taking pics and dealing with the pressure.

My question is: Since im not charging and simply plan to burn the pics to a cd for them, do i need to worry about putting anything on paper releasing me of liablity? i figure it wouldnt hurt but i feel akward asking them to sign something when its being done for free.

Post #1, Nov 10, 2005 16:07:15

-Nathan Stansell
Canon EOS 350D / Rebel XT + BG-E3
EF-S 18-55 w/UV & Polarized filter
Tamron AF 70-300 w/UV filter
POTN Strap
Did I mention the Grip? Get a grip, cool factor is doubled.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Falkon
Joined Aug 2005
430 posts
North Carolina
[MORE/SHARE]

they are not hiring you to do anything. The photos you are taking are a favor to them so just treat it that way. Asking them to sign a paper might be a bit too much.

Post #2, Nov 10, 2005 16:34:34

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
My Wish Listexternal link

Harry ­ Settle
Joined Jun 2004
663 posts
Bemidji, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

Paper is good, sometimes. You do always need to be aware of the "handshake" type contract. If they ask you to take pictures and you agree, then you have the basis of a contract. It is easier for them to claim that you made promises, it is for you to claim that you didn't.

You could put together a short agreement of what they are asking for and what you are giving. You can always sneak in some small print to help handle the liabilities. At this point I always suggest "keep it simple".

Post #3, Nov 13, 2005 13:24:19

cmM
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2004
5,705 posts
Chicago / San Francisco
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

liability? What liability? Would your friend sue you for screwing up the shots for which they didn't pay for? possible, but not likely. I'd just leave it alone.

Post #4, Nov 16, 2005 18:33:29

Harry ­ Settle
Joined Jun 2004
663 posts
Bemidji, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

cmM wrote:
liability? What liability? Would your friend sue you for screwing up the shots for which they didn't pay for? possible, but not likely. I'd just leave it alone.

I have read some instances of this very thing happening on some other forums, possibly even on this one. Maybe if you just sit down with them and have a good heart to heart talk about what to expect, and conveniently have a person with you that could act as a silent witness.

Post #5, Nov 16, 2005 23:21:04 as a reply to cmM's post 4 hours earlier.

sponsored links
cmM
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2004
5,705 posts
Chicago / San Francisco
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Harry Settle wrote:
I have read some instances of this very thing happening on some other forums, possibly even on this one. Maybe if you just sit down with them and have a good heart to heart talk about what to expect, and conveniently have a person with you that could act as a silent witness.

Yes, but they really have no grounds to sue. there's nothing written. A contract creates obligations on both sides (which is great for most), but with no contract there are no obligations.

This whole thread would be pointless if there were any morals left in this country. We're talking about a 'friend' for God's sake.

Post #6, Nov 17, 2005 01:21:12 as a reply to Harry Settle's post 2 hours earlier.

IndyJeff
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2003
1,892 posts
Indianapolis, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

I have to side with cmM on this one. How can they sue you, and for what? What losses or damages did they incurr? None, they didn't get their wedding pictures which they weren't paying for in the first place.
As my good friend Bloo Dog once said a judge said to someone suing him, "it's a wedding not a moon shot."

Just cross your fingers that you do the best you can do and it is good enough for them. Besides what are you worring about, your shooting digital right? You can see if it look decent or not almost instantly.

Post #7, Nov 17, 2005 15:01:58 as a reply to cmM's post 13 hours earlier.

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

Cr8tor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2005
38 posts
Twin Falls Idaho
[MORE/SHARE]

well i spoke with them about it and explained that i would feel better if we had somehting on paper for both of us so that we know exactley whats expected. i was able to spin it as more of a "practice for future occasions" and they are ok with it. figure its better to be safe then sorry.

Post #8, Nov 17, 2005 15:17:28

-Nathan Stansell
POTN Strap

Harry ­ Settle
Joined Jun 2004
663 posts
Bemidji, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

cmM wrote:
Yes, but they really have no grounds to sue. there's nothing written. A contract creates obligations on both sides (which is great for most), but with no contract there are no obligations.

This whole thread would be pointless if there were any morals left in this country. We're talking about a 'friend' for God's sake.

You're wrong. You are trying to interject common courtesy and logic into todays letigious society. (I think that means that people like to sue a lot for no reason at all) What makes sense to most of us doesn't apply. "Fair doesn't count."

First of all, it doesn't take a piece of paper to make a contract. I sat on the jury for a civil case involving a guy that built a gas station without any written contracts between himself and the Bank or anyone else for that matter. This was a 1/2 million dollar investment. We were flabbergasted when the Judge explained to us what exactly constitutes a contract. We never did figure out how he got that much money from the bank without a paper trail.
In small claims court you could be 100% in the right and still lose your shirt. Judge says "did you ask him to shoot your wedding?", they say "Yes". Judge asks you "did you agree to shoot the wedding?" You say "yes." Then everything spins around and around and if you're lucky you get by without losing a substantial amount of money.

I'm not trying to scare anyone into becoming paranoid with friends, but stuff happens. BTW, I'm one of the last people to put anything in writing. It's just something to think about.

Post #9, Nov 17, 2005 18:38:45 as a reply to cmM's post 17 hours earlier.

Cr8tor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2005
38 posts
Twin Falls Idaho
[MORE/SHARE]

along those lines, the proof comes in admitting to the contract. i know when to forget things. :) but like i said, we agreed to a nice plain english contract that states im doing it as a favor without pay and can not be held liable for anything including loss of pictues.

Thanks for the advice all!

Post #10, Nov 17, 2005 19:20:31

-Nathan Stansell
POTN Strap

Harry ­ Settle
Joined Jun 2004
663 posts
Bemidji, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

Sounds like that would work.

Post #11, Nov 17, 2005 23:20:52

sponsored links
queenbee288
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2004
5,502 posts
Madison, Alabama
[MORE/SHARE]

I think that if they are getting free photos that they couldnt afford otherwise, a little something on paper was not too much to ask for.

Post #12, Dec 19, 2005 23:04:56

Char
www.charlenelanephotog​raphy.comexternal link
Canon 7D, , Tamron 28-75, Canon 100 2.8, 50 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105

jim47
Joined Sep 2004
47 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

forget about the money end of this for a minute , if you have something on paper outlining just what is expected from all parties, this just might save a good friendship, I have had business dealings with friends in the past , and believe me you can get jamed up with friends just as easely as you can with a stranger. an ounce of prevension is worth a pound of cure.

jim

Post #13, Dec 21, 2005 11:28:19 as a reply to queenbee288's post 1 day earlier.

RichardtheSane
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
3,011 posts
Nottingham UK
[MORE/SHARE]

cmM wrote:

Very well said.

Post #14, Dec 23, 2005 09:46:50 as a reply to cmM's post 1 month earlier.

If in doubt, I shut up...

Gear: 40D, 12-24mm AT-X Pro, 17-85mm, Sigma 150mm Macro Sigma 100-300 F4, 550EX, other stuff that probably helps me on my way.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2004
12,311 posts
where the buffalo roam
[MORE/SHARE]

You're attending a wedding of a person who you think can sue you over a verbal agreement, and you call him your friend?

In small claims court you could be 100% in the right and still lose your shirt. Judge says "did you ask him to shoot your wedding?", they say "Yes". Judge asks you "did you agree to shoot the wedding?" You say "yes." Then everything spins around and around and if you're lucky you get by without losing a substantial amount of money.

Doesn't work that way... and even if it does, it doesn't hurt to lie once in a while.

Did you agree to shoot their wedding?
No, I just brought my camera

It's one thing to cover your ass with a model release, the other is being paranoid about everything

Post #15, Dec 24, 2005 13:17:31

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,887 views & 0 likes for this thread
wedding shoot - legalities
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES