FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 29 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 09:59   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

danielyamseng
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
2,029 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If a Canon CP-e4 already shorten the recycle time, why there's a need to use Quantum Turbo?

Would Quantum turbo would have constant recycle time until the last drop of power as compare to the cp-e4 which uses the 2700maH best rechargable batteries?

If the recycle time is shorten, would shooting at 1s per shoot continously would overheated the flash?I knew if it's continously shoot at full power would, but this is like shoot 1s and another frame 1 second.

Any real statistic for canon-cp e4 recycle time using a 2700maH batteries at full power?

Anyone using a third party canon compatible battery pack?

Post #1, Dec 29, 2009 09:59:41

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
AlanU
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
4,551 posts
Vancouver, BC
[MORE/SHARE]

I own 2x SF18 Yongnuo 8 AA battery packs. After using such a reasonably priced battery pack I find it such a valuable tool. Adding high MaH AA's is such a cheap alternative to the "turbo"

However I'd like to pick up a quantum pack one day since the Quantum T-5d-r seems to be a great flash to own.

Post #2, Dec 29, 2009 10:31:19

5dmkiii |5DmkII x 2 | 5Dc | 24LmkII | 35L |50mm f/1.4 | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 |580 EX II x2 | 430EX II | AB cybersycns | PW FlexTT5x4 | AC3 | Einstein's | Cybercommander | Vml's | PW Power MC2

Bob ­ Sherwood
Joined Oct 2004
275 posts
Mississippi
[MORE/SHARE]

The TD5 with FreeXwire will take your photography to the next level, once you learn how t use it.

Post #3, Dec 29, 2009 14:57:59

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

danielyamseng wrote in post #9282600external link
If a Canon CP-e4 already shorten the recycle time, why there's a need to use Quantum Turbo?

Would Quantum turbo would have constant recycle time until the last drop of power as compare to the cp-e4 which uses the 2700maH best rechargable batteries?

If the recycle time is shorten, would shooting at 1s per shoot continously would overheated the flash?I knew if it's continously shoot at full power would, but this is like shoot 1s and another frame 1 second.

Any real statistic for canon-cp e4 recycle time using a 2700maH batteries at full power?

Anyone using a third party canon compatible battery pack?

I did a quick speed test between the Canon CP-E4 with the Sanyo Eneloop batteries in it and the Quantum Turbo 2x2 battery pack (fully charged) and the speeds are pretty close if judged just by sight. However, I video taped the recycling of the flash, a 580EX in manual fired at 1/1, and checked the timecode to see exactly how long each pack took to recycle the flash. I fired the flash thrice but only calculated the speeds of the first two fires (the third was in case there was a marked difference in the calculated speed). And here are the results:

Test 1, custom function set to only use the external battery for charging the flash:

CP-E4: 1.3 sec. and 1.3 sec.
2x2: 1.0 sec. and 1.0 sec.

Test 2, custom function set so both external and internal batteries were used:

CP-E4: 1.0, 1.1 and 1.1
2x2: 1.0, 0.9 and 0.9

As the numbers show, the Turbo 2x2 has a slight edge but for all practical purposes, I think they're equally matched, especially when the internal batteries are used as well.

Post #4, Dec 29, 2009 16:25:33

...Leo

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
Joined Jan 2006
3,769 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

PacAce wrote in post #9284876external link
... I video taped the recycling of the flash, a 580EX in manual fired at 1/1, and checked the timecode to see exactly how long each pack took to recycle the flash...

Wow, Leo! Checked the timecode, huh? Very clever. That's what I call leveraging technology.

As for your findings, I'd agree that there's no practical difference in recycling times between a Quantum Turbo battery and a Yongnuo SF-18 filled with freshly charged Eneloops. Both are at least as quick as I need them to be. Capacity is another issue entirely.

Dave F.

Post #5, Dec 29, 2009 17:08:50

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

tetrode wrote in post #9285128external link
Wow, Leo! Checked the timecode, huh? Very clever. That's what I call leveraging technology.

As for your findings, I'd agree that there's no practical difference in recycling times between a Quantum Turbo battery and a Yongnuo SF-18 filled with freshly charged Eneloops. Both are at least as quick as I need them to be. Capacity is another issue entirely.

Dave F.

I agree wholeheartedly. There the winner is the Turbo 2x2 hands down. Can't speak for the other Turbo models, though, since I have no experience with them but the standard Turbo (no suffix) should be close behind, I would imagine, based on the following chart:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #6, Dec 29, 2009 17:35:44

...Leo

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,499 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Ignoring the Turbo 2x2 (which uses conventional rechargeable cells which have to be replaced every few years), the Turbo uses lead acid gel battery which has a very long life and is cheap to replace...I replaced my own after 15 years for $25. Figure how many sets of AA it would take to provide equivalent total flash capacity for a single event, and how much it costs to replace the multiple sets of eight every three years, and the cost differential of the Turbo is lessened.

Post #7, Dec 30, 2009 20:28:04

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

viet
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
1,019 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Also, one Quantum will out last one set of 8-AA CP-E4 and can easily last a whole day wedding.

Post #8, Dec 30, 2009 23:40:53

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

viet wrote in post #9294136external link
Also, one Quantum will out last one set of 8-AA CP-E4 and can easily last a whole day wedding.

I wouldn't necessarily make a generalized statement like that without qualifying which Quantum battery back you are referring to. ;)

Post #9, Dec 31, 2009 07:21:01

...Leo

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,373 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quantum Turbo and third party battery pack for 580EXII
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES