Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 07 Jan 2010 (Thursday) 02:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Comments/suggestions on LordV macrophotography thread

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
59,093 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Worthing UK
Jan 07, 2010 02:34 |  #1

Please add any comments / suggestions on the LordV macrophotography post here rather than clogging up the original thread which will be locked.
Thanks brian v.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

sponsored links
slitherjef
*burp*
1,714 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Denver, Co / Behind the lens
Jan 07, 2010 02:46 |  #2

Thought you said you where not much of a writer in a previous thread :p :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for this write up, and I do have a question:
I do have a 430ex II and a ST-E2 so I can fire the flash off camera, however I am not quite satisfied with the set up because I tend to get shadows and sometimes, depending on my set up, an uneven gradient. I thought about getting the expensive MT-24Ex but started to wonder if getting a 580ex II to add to my set up would be a better choice? I would love to hear your thoughs on this

Gear / Twitterexternal link / flickrexternal link / Blogexternal link
I shot a Nikon once... it didnt make it :p

LordV
THREAD ­ STARTER
59,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Worthing UK
Jan 07, 2010 02:57 |  #3

slitherjef wrote in post #9342104external link

I do have a 430ex II and a ST-E2 so I can fire the flash off camera, however I am not quite satisfied with the set up because I tend to get shadows and sometimes, depending on my set up, an uneven gradient. I thought about getting the expensive MT-24Ex but started to wonder if getting a 580ex II to add to my set up would be a better choice? I would love to hear your thoughs on this

Not really certain I can answer this, I've just got rather used to using a single flash light source and find that fine for my requirements. I think a second large flash would be rather awkward for a hand held set up but might be fine for a tripod setup.
With a single flash and a largish diffuser setup near the end of the lens I don't find shadows too much of a problem, the main issue I have is when the bug is facing in the wrong direction as I can't easily move the flash over to the other side with my setups but that is not a serious problem.
If you are planning to use 2 light sources on a handheld setup then the MT-24Ex may be the best choice.
Brian v.

Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Jan 07, 2010 04:09 |  #4

slitherjef wrote in post #9342104external link

LordV wrote in post #9342128external link
Not really certain I can answer this, I've just got rather used to using a single flash light source and find that fine for my requirements. I think a second large flash would be rather awkward for a hand held set up but might be fine for a tripod setup.
With a single flash and a largish diffuser setup near the end of the lens I don't find shadows too much of a problem, the main issue I have is when the bug is facing in the wrong direction as I can't easily move the flash over to the other side with my setups but that is not a serious problem.
If you are planning to use 2 light sources on a handheld setup then the MT-24Ex may be the best choice.
Brian v.

I used to work with two twin flashes on brackets in my film days, one flash was a Vivitar 283 and the other was smaller.

Of course it was all manual flash exposure then, but ergonomically it was quite an awkward setup, just about usable in the field handheld in landscape but not portrait orientations. Flash position flexibility was no-existent although there are better brackets now.

I use the twin flash now (it is the only flash I have) and find it great, I have to say Brian does seem to get super soft light with his mega diffuser setup however.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

John_B
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2006
Hawaii
Jan 07, 2010 06:27 |  #5

LordV,
Great idea and well written to help answer questions for macro photography :)

Sony A6500, A6000, Lenses, DMC-ZS40 & Apeman A80 <-- click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Jan 07, 2010 06:31 |  #6

I like the control that I get with the MT-24EX over the way that shadows fall in a scene. The drawback is that two light sources will also give you two sets of specular highlights to deal with.

One of the best two standard flash setups I've seen is the one used by Blepharopsisexternal link -beautiful diffusion and light that makes the subject look very 3D.

Excellent beginner article Brian!

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

Warl0rd
Goldmember
2,230 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Portugal
Jan 07, 2010 07:15 as a reply to Dalantech's post |  #7

thats not a book, but you have to start somewhere :D

Paulo
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/warl0rd (external link)
Canon 450D (XSi) + Grip | Canon 80D | EF-S 10-22 | EF 24-105 L IS | EF 100mm Macro | MP-E 65mm 1-5X | EF-S 18-55 IS STM | EF-S 55-250 IS | Takumar 55mm 1.8 | MT-24EX | Metz 48-AF1 | YN460 II | Kenko DG Auto ET | Kata 3N1-20 DL | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | Mitsai JDC195 | Manfrotto 190XPROB + 484RC2

Meanderthal
532 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Canada, btw Ottawa-Toronto
Jan 07, 2010 08:40 |  #8

Bravo. Thank you from a beginner in macro. It's very helpful to have all I need to get started in one well written summary - without the confusion that can result when the experts start discussing the finer points.

http://spitzhaven.zenf​olio.com/external linkPhoto galleryexternal link

JLew24asu
378 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Chicago, IL USA
Jan 07, 2010 08:44 |  #9

Kudos to you for putting that info together. you are a pioneer and the World's BEST Macro photographer. :)

http://chicagophotosho​p.comexternal link

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Northern California
Jan 07, 2010 14:46 |  #10

Thanks for writing it! I am looking forward to future installments.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​comexternal link | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Surrey, B.C.
Jan 07, 2010 14:49 |  #11

Great job, Brian!

Thanks for doing this.

I look forward to learning a lot from the MACRO LORD!!

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

LordV
THREAD ­ STARTER
59,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Worthing UK
Jan 08, 2010 00:50 |  #12

Thanks for the comments.
Hope it will be useful. Obviously it will just be my limited viewpoint on macro shooting but thought it might be a useful exercise for me if I do ever get round to trying to do a book.
BTW you can thank the freezing weather we are experiencing in the UK for this :)

If there is anything specific you want me to cover (that I might know about) post a comment here.

Brian V.

Macro Hints and tips

minh2pac
362 posts
Joined Nov 2009
New Orleans, LA
Jan 08, 2010 01:07 as a reply to LordV's post |  #13

Hey LordV, I currently have Tamron 90mm and plan to upgrade to Tamron 180mm later. If I buy Canon MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite, will that work for both Tamron lenses? thank you.

Kevin
5d3, 7d, xe-1, om-d

LordV
THREAD ­ STARTER
59,093 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Worthing UK
Jan 08, 2010 01:20 |  #14

minh2pac wrote in post #9349446external link
Hey LordV, I currently have Tamron 90mm and plan to upgrade to Tamron 180mm later. If I buy Canon MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite, will that work for both Tamron lenses? thank you.

You would need to check that you have/ can get an adapter ring for for the filter size of the tamron 180 but yes it should work but I think a camera mounted normal flash would also work just as well with the 180.
You would need one of these
http://www.amazon.co.u​k ...ter-EF180mm/dp/B0000C4GDRexternal link
You may have realised from the comment in the macro guide I would not consider a Tamron 180 an upgrade from the 90mm lens- quite the reverse in fact. Unless you are not handholding the lens and really need the extra working distance or want the nicer background bokeh I would not change the 90mm lens.
Brian v.

Macro Hints and tips

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Jan 08, 2010 01:35 |  #15

LordV wrote in post #9349509external link
...You may have realised from the comment in the macro guide I would not consider a Tamron 180 an upgrade from the 90mm lens- quite the reverse in fact. Unless you are not handholding the lens and really need the extra working distance or want the nicer background bokeh I would not change the 90mm lens.
Brian v.

I'd also add that you might not like the light quality of the MR-14EX -even with ratio control it's going to look flat. Also the working distance is greater with the 180mm, and the level of diffusion you get with a flash is relative to the distance between the flash and the subject -get the flash closer to what you're shooting and the diffusion gets better. So you might like the light quality of the MR-14EX with the 90mm, only to get disappointed when you use it on the 180mm...

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

sponsored links

44,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
Comments/suggestions on LordV macrophotography thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.