Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 17 Nov 2005 (Thursday) 16:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

wedding?

JayKitty
369 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Orlando, FL
Nov 17, 2005 16:33 |  #1

so a really close friend of mine asked me to do her wedding. i want to make the price extremely reasonable since she is a really good friend. how much should i consider for prints and then service fee on top of that. im not a pro and only amateur. ahh help!

jay kit

My Stuff:
Canon 20D+BG-E2 / Canon 70-200 2.8L USM / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro / Canon 50mm 1.8 / Sekonic L-358 Light Meter
JayKittle.comexternal link

sponsored links
JayKitty
THREAD ­ STARTER
369 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Orlando, FL
Nov 17, 2005 16:54 |  #2

admin: please move to wedding forums.

My Stuff:
Canon 20D+BG-E2 / Canon 70-200 2.8L USM / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro / Canon 50mm 1.8 / Sekonic L-358 Light Meter

smittymike19
779 posts
Joined Mar 2005
new jersey, usa
Nov 19, 2005 11:24 |  #3

[QUOTE=JayKitty]so a really close friend of mine asked me to do her wedding. i want to make the price extremely reasonable since she is a really good friend. how much should i consider for prints and then service fee on top of that. im not a pro and only amateur. ahh help!

jay kit[/quowell two things here.

1 they are friends
2. you are amateur.

you should do it at cost.

think about this: what if you totally screw the shots up?

tim
Light Bringer
50,862 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Nov 19, 2005 19:33 |  #4

Do it at cost, and make no promises. My first wedding I told them there was a chance i'd forget to take the lens cap off and they'd get no photos at all.

Also, you'll need a better lens for weddings, and a flash. A sigma 24-70 and 420EX would do the job.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

JayKitty
THREAD ­ STARTER
369 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Orlando, FL
Nov 19, 2005 22:41 |  #5

yea i plan on buying the 430ex in the near future and hopefully an L-glass before then.

My Stuff:

cmM
Goldmember
5,705 posts
Joined Apr 2004
Chicago / San Francisco
Nov 19, 2005 23:39 |  #6
banned

I agree.
Either free (no profit), or full price. Once you discout once, you'll be expected to discount again (especially with refferals)

Harry ­ Settle
663 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bemidji, MN
Nov 20, 2005 11:20 |  #7

Depends a little bit on what you intend to provide. If I were just going to take the formal shots, the normal shots of the wedding and some at the reception, have them printed and give them the prints in a convenience store photo album. . . I would just do it for free as a wedding present. If I was going to get fancier and go for an expensive album for the formals and other add ons, I'd consider doing it for cost.

The lenses you have are ok, but you could use something with a little more reach.

JayKitty
THREAD ­ STARTER
369 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Orlando, FL
Nov 20, 2005 12:03 |  #8

yea im gonna do it at cost or probably less than cost. thanks alot for your help!

My Stuff:

tim
Light Bringer
50,862 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Nov 20, 2005 14:42 |  #9

Why do it less than cost? Just pass on expenses, that'd be fair.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

2,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
wedding?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.