Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 27 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Apple's iPad

this thread is locked
MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,344 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 27, 2010 14:25 |  #1

A 9.7" IPS screen caught my attention, as did the pricing. If a 3G plan will subsidize the cost it will probably be down to $300 in no time - well within my reach for as a 'toy' :) If it uses AT&T exclusively, I'll pass. My iPhone speeds are already being sucked away by the huge smartphone market. Verizon may be interesting though.

The 1GHz A4 chip was the third thing that caught my attention - will be interesting to see how it performs.

Canon 7D & 60D With Grip's
Canon: EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS, EF 70-200L F4 IS, EF 85mm F1.8
HOYA PRO1 MC UV Review | Lens Glossary of Terms
Feedback

sponsored links
Pete
Cream of the Crop
38,607 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 27, 2010 14:32 |  #2

I don't really understand who this is aimed at and for what primary purpose. It's just an oversized and up-specced iPod Touch with an optional 3G card.

I can see it popping up in leather couches in branches of Starbucks all over the world though.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 27, 2010 14:39 |  #3

Agree. Big iPod Touch. Might be nice if you prefer eBooks to paper ones, but IMO it's more a cool 'gadget' then a tool.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Drozz119
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 27, 2010 15:13 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #4

Apple.com wrote:
There’s also a Camera Connection Kit that lets you import photos from a camera or SD card

Shoot tethered?

Someone should come up with a mounting kit to use with the 5d2 or 7d video. I might actually be able to see what i'm focusing on @ F/1.4

Could've had a higher resolution though (1024x768 )

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,344 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 27, 2010 15:34 |  #5

I'm still trying to rationalize getting one :) I really hoped there were be something 'new' or distinctly different about it... Come summer people will have found new uses for it - hopefully it wont be next to the Newton collecting dust :)

Canon 7D & 60D With Grip's
Canon: EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS, EF 70-200L F4 IS, EF 85mm F1.8
HOYA PRO1 MC UV Review | Lens Glossary of Terms
Feedback

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 27, 2010 15:40 |  #6

Someone will use the Canon SDK and build some kind of remote control/tether app for it plus it is nice to see apple using PA semiconductor for what looks like a multi core SOAC based on the ARM platform.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

bjordan
977 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 27, 2010 16:18 |  #7

I'm sure the iCool Starbucks junkies will jump all over this, but it seems to me like either a netbook with no keyboard, or an iPhone that won't fit in my pocket... I don't get it, but then I usually dont.

I am however looking forward to what the Photochop jokers do with this and a Kotex box :D

"...this was the destiny of our lives. A long time ago this was our future, looking now for a lost pomegranate at Big Sur." -R. Brautigan

eeeksNYC
602 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 27, 2010 16:35 |  #8

It would make an excellent way to carry your portfolio around to prospective clients.

IF this whole e-print thing takes off...it may be the new way to view magazine content...(read: your pictures)..

Shooting tethered to this would be epic.

could be cool

eeeksNYC (my blog (external link), my flickr (external link))
zeiss ikon icarex 35s,5D MK1/ EF 28-70 f2.8L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sunpak 383s / Cybersyncs / and a couple bags of other stuff....http://www.flickr.com/​photos/29075737@N02/ (external link)

IUnknown
738 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 27, 2010 16:56 |  #9

Shooting tethered to this would be epic.

Man, I like that one. How about ditching the tablet pen and doing the retouching straight onto the photograph?

Fiske | Film (external link)
5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | LEICA 50MM SUMMICRON-R F2 | Canon 135L | Elmoscope anamorphic lens | 430EX II

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 27, 2010 16:58 |  #10

I hear they're releasing a new line of clothing that just has one giant pocket...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

bjordan
977 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 27, 2010 17:01 |  #11

Would a portfolio on the iPad at 1024x768 (probably about 100 dpi) be better than quality prints? I suspect that the paper would be lighter for the volume of an effective portfolio, and there would be no battery worries. But perhaps the "Ooo! Shiny!" factor would be worth it alone...?

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #9484658 (external link)
I hear they're releasing a new line of clothing that just has one giant pocket...

The iBritches? The iRoo?

"...this was the destiny of our lives. A long time ago this was our future, looking now for a lost pomegranate at Big Sur." -R. Brautigan

Thru ­ my ­ eyes
322 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 27, 2010 17:02 |  #12

This will make a great portfolio. Web, email, calendar,contacts, portfolio all in one lightweight device!!! Genius! I can't wait.

Canon Rebel t1i, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm 1.8, Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro, 270EX

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 27, 2010 17:03 |  #13

The new term is "Padophile"

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 27, 2010 17:09 |  #14

IUnknown wrote in post #9484644 (external link)
Man, I like that one. How about ditching the tablet pen and doing the retouching straight onto the photograph?

Kinda like the expensive Wacom screens.
Yeah, I was thinking that would be great... unfortunately it only looks like a big ipod touch... more of a media consumption device than a productivity or creative one.

(They would need pressure sensitivity, stylus support-finger just doesn't cut it when editing, and ability to load REAL programs like LR or photoshop. Not to mention an easy way to get images ONTO device, like USB or card reader.) I think that would be compelling (though probably quite a bit more expensive too.) We're not quite there yet... the chips probably have to become more powerful too... but this may be a first step in that direction.

Overall, however I don't see a compelling reason for that over my ipod touch. (I can imagine bringing the iPad to work to listen to music... it'd look so out of place, like one of those oversize remotes they sell at Walgreens!)

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

Thru ­ my ­ eyes
322 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 27, 2010 17:16 |  #15

davidcrebelxt wrote in post #9484725 (external link)
Kinda like the expensive Wacom screens.
Yeah, I was thinking that would be great... unfortunately it only looks like a big ipod touch... more of a media consumption device than a productivity or creative one.

(They would need pressure sensitivity, stylus support-finger just doesn't cut it when editing, and ability to load REAL programs like LR or photoshop. Not to mention an easy way to get images ONTO device, like USB or card reader.) I think that would be compelling (though probably quite a bit more expensive too.) We're not quite there yet... the chips probably have to become more powerful too... but this may be a first step in that direction.

Overall, however I don't see a compelling reason for that over my ipod touch. (I can imagine bringing the iPad to work to listen to music... it'd look so out of place, like one of those oversize remotes they sell at Walgreens!)

LOL on the oversized remote!!! I bought one and it's a great conversation piece. People are always like what the heck it that? :D

Canon Rebel t1i, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm 1.8, Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro, 270EX

sponsored links

30,249 views & 0 likes for this thread
Apple's iPad
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.