Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 24 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 23:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Backpack for camera, lenses, tripod, laptop, and lunch

keitaro
605 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Vancouver, BC
Jan 25, 2010 16:11 |  #16

i was looking at the F-stop Tilopa, but I am concerned about how it does not fit an airline carry on luggage size. http://fstopgear.com/e​n/productexternal link. If the Tilopa fits airline requirments, I'd be glad to purchase that.

While looking around, I found the Lowepro Compurover http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ver&N=0&InitialSear​ch=yesexternal link to fit my needs. It can carry a laptop, small lens and body kit, as well as extra room for clothing, food, etc. It also has a tripod storage area, and weather cover.

the primary needs for the pack i am looking for are traveling, and hiking. It needs to fit both requirements.

My flickrexternal link
My Gear

sponsored links
dpark
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Jan 25, 2010 16:25 |  #17

keitaro wrote in post #9469151external link
i was looking at the F-stop Tilopa, but I am concerned about how it does not fit an airline carry on luggage size. http://fstopgear.com/e​n/productexternal link. If the Tilopa fits airline requirments, I'd be glad to purchase that.

While looking around, I found the Lowepro Compurover http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ver&N=0&InitialSear​ch=yesexternal link to fit my needs. It can carry a laptop, small lens and body kit, as well as extra room for clothing, food, etc. It also has a tripod storage area, and weather cover.

the primary needs for the pack i am looking for are traveling, and hiking. It needs to fit both requirements.

The Tilopa meets some airline requirements. e.g. Alaska Air will allow it. It violates some others, such as American Airlines and Air Canada (and I see you're in Canada). I expect that you would probably get away with using it as a carry-on, especially if you don't pack it fully (so that you can compress it down to the carry-on dimensions). However, I don't know for sure, and it's definitely a potential risk.

The CompuRover violates Air Canada's requirements by 0.2 inches in height and 0.1 inches in depth. I don't think you'll have a problem with it, though.

keitaro
605 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Vancouver, BC
Jan 26, 2010 13:01 |  #18

^thanks for the info

My flickrexternal link
My Gear

FrostQ
200 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Feb 03, 2010 15:31 |  #19

so dpark...what did you end up getting?

Canon G12 | 430EXII w/ stofen

Gear List

dpark
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Feb 03, 2010 16:06 |  #20

Didn't yet. I probably won't buy for a bit longer, as there's no rush. I want this for a trip this summer.

I'm still leaning toward the Think Tank Streetwalker Hard Drive, but I'm not completely sold, because it looks like the non-gear space is so limited. I've found a couple of stores near me that carry Think Tank products, so I'm going to try to check it out in person.

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Feb 04, 2010 08:37 |  #21

dpark wrote in post #9534638external link
Didn't yet. I probably won't buy for a bit longer, as there's no rush. I want this for a trip this summer.

I'm still leaning toward the Think Tank Streetwalker Hard Drive, but I'm not completely sold, because it looks like the non-gear space is so limited. I've found a couple of stores near me that carry Think Tank products, so I'm going to try to check it out in person.

Did you look at Case Logic backpacks? I just got the SLRC-206 and they have a backpack even larger than that one which might accomodate you. Amazon has a better price than Case Logic does about now. They also have video demonstrations of most of their bags. It helps to see what they will do in real life.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

dpark
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Feb 04, 2010 10:01 |  #22

I haven't looked into Case Logic before, but I'll definitely see if I can find those locally as well. Thanks.

Fstop-Ian
329 posts
Joined May 2009
Feb 14, 2010 20:06 |  #23

keitaro wrote in post #9469151external link

Hi, just wanted to point out that at maximum size and completely full the bag may not fit all carry on size regulations but the bag easily compresses allowing you to work around these types of situations.

The nature of our bag design allows a lot of sizing options. And our listed sizes are at a full capacity.

Regards

If you have support related questions regarding F-Stop Gear, please email an@fstopgear.com or visit www.fstopgear.comexternal link

jsims
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Feb 15, 2010 13:41 |  #24

the tamera aro 80 in black is what i use and i put a 50d,18-200is on camera then 50mm,17-85is,10-22isi,70-300is 4 cf cards wirless trigger cf reader and 4 batt 2 lens hoods and a rockett blower in the camera comparment and my 580ex in the top of the backpack and a jacket and full lunch, gps and have room for more stuff and i bouhht two 1 in wide lashing straps at at wall mart and had them soed at a shoe repair place on the side about 2 in from the botton on the left side and one 2 in from the top in ft of the laptop zipper and i strap my trypod or my mono pod and it works grate for down town trecking back pack was $ 99.00 straps $ 1.99 ea sewing them $10.00 and it holds my dell inspron 16 in if i dont have the tri or mono on it looks like a book bag on walking down the street in steed of a camera bag with thousands of dollers of eqpt. hoop this helps

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Feb 18, 2010 23:38 |  #25

^^ I have the aero 80 as well, and its pretty nice for a light setup. The straps aren't that great if you're running heavy. They could use some extra padding. The space for non-camera gear is great though. I put a soft aided lunchbox and a rain jacket in the top pocket (or a 70-200 2.8 IS in its original case. :) ). The laptop compartment is roomy and has a rubber gasket along the zipper in case it rains. A nice feature I think. I carry a tripod on mine sometimes, and I simply stick 2 of the legs in either the side or back mesh pockets, and use a velcro cable organizer (long piece of velcro available in the electronics/computer department) to snug the top of the tripod to the top handle of the bag. It works pretty well, even with a big tripod like a 055XPROb + 488RC2 combo. It tugs the top of the tripod toward the center of the bag as well, so it doesn't get caught on things. The mesh side pockets also come in handy for holding a water bottle. Inside the top pocket there are 2 elastic-top mesh pockets for small maps or cables, batteries, whatever, and one medium sized zipper pocket. I'm happy with it overall, I just wish the straps had a bit more padding. I'm sure there is probably an easy solution to adding some pads to fix that. I use my larger pack when I need to take all my gear, so I don't worry about it much. I usually just take the 1D3 + 24-70 and a 430EX in the gear part, and maybe a 70-200 in the top of I think I might use it. HTH

GEAR LIST

dpark
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Feb 18, 2010 23:54 |  #26

You guys actually find the Aero 80 comfortable for carrying a tripod? I would have expected the height of a full-size tripod to be a significant issue on that. With the ballhead, it must stick up a full foot, right?

The Aero series look very much like what I want (I'd probably go with the 85 for the side access, especially if I had a tripod on the back), but I'm not convinced it would be comfortable with a tripod.

Kasrielle
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Sunshine Coast BC, Canada
Feb 19, 2010 10:36 |  #27

I have the Kata DR-467 and can actually carry a tripod. It has a pocket on the side with pull out mesh that I think is ment to hold a water bottle. However, you can put the tripod legs in the pocket, and attach the top to the carry handle with a strap. It's makeshift, but works fine, and the Kata really hits all the buttons of everything else you want. Plus - it looks good (IMO, YMMV...)

Fuji XT1 | Fuji XF 18-55 | Fuji XF 55-200
www.photosbykas.comexternal link
my Flickr Pageexternal link
500px.com/Kasrielleexternal link

dpark
THREAD ­ STARTER
376 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Feb 19, 2010 12:15 |  #28

The DR-467 (or the new 467i) is a really nice option, but I'm not so sure about a side-mounted tripod on such a small pack. (I'd totally get it if I wasn't concerned about the tripod.) I'm going to have 5 extra pounds hanging on one side, which I'm pretty sure is going to get really uncomfortable after an hour. It still has the same height issue as the Aero series, too, since there's no drop-down cup for the tripod.

I'll end up checking out some more stuff at the local camera stores before I buy anything, though. I've got quite a few options, and I need to look at more of them in person.

eeeksNYC
Joined Jan 2008
NYC/NJ
Feb 19, 2010 12:19 |  #29

I've used a Dakine Sequence with the a tripod and ball head strapped to it (Gitzo 1228 with markins plate and Manfrotto head). Plenty of room for all the gear I had at the time. But a bit bulky

eeeksNYC (my blogexternal link, my flickrexternal link)
zeiss ikon icarex 35s,5D MK1/ EF 28-70 f2.8L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sunpak 383s / Cybersyncs / and a couple bags of other stuff....http://www.flickr.com/​photos/29075737@N02/external link

alpinekiwi
39 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Morzine, France
Feb 19, 2010 12:35 |  #30

I have the F Stop Tilopa and have carried it onboard planes around the world. Never had a problem.

It carries all my gear, my laptop and has room for a book plus other flying essentials. Laptop comes out easily for xrays.

It is designed for the skiing photographer, so has straps for two lightstands/tripods on the sides, plus the ski/snowboard strap on the back will easily accommodate a larger tripod.

It is super comfortable on the back (although with a 1D series body, it does prod you a little) and can easily carry everything with little discomfort.

The camera gear is accessed from the back (as in the part that is next to your back), so when you place it face down in mud/snow, you will not get it all on your back later. The bag & zips are weather proof too.

Basically, I am super happy with my bag and will get another if anything happens to this one.

Here's what I've carried in mine on ski shoots:

1Dmk3
70-200 2.8
24-70 2.8
12-24
85 1.8
2x 580EXII
triggers
2x sm tripods
1x lg tripod
Assorted bits & pieces (you know how it can get)... Gloves, snowshoes, cables, jacket...

Folioexternal link
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

12,562 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backpack for camera, lenses, tripod, laptop, and lunch
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.