FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 03 May 2001 (Thursday) 06:26   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

rico
Hatchling
Joined May 2001
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

First, sorry about my verry bad english...

How to work around with the problem of the strong magenta cast in the sky ? Particulary when the sky is strong blue.

I have tried every thing : custum white balance, RAW white point, overexpose, underexpose. And I don't want to use PS for all my photos with sky. The 990 manage this very well. The automatic and daylight white balance presets in the G1 manage this VERY badly.

Should I change the G1 for the new 995.
I hope not. Can anybody help me ?

Best regards,
Eric

Post #1, May 03, 2001 06:26:17

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
rico
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined May 2001
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

examples here :
http://www.fototime.co​m/inv/704CC5698521BC4external link
These photos are not mine.
So this mean that this is not the fault of my G1.
Best regards,
Rico

Post #2, May 04, 2001 17:10:20

John ­ Vito
Hatchling
Joined May 2001
9 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Many user complain about the magenta cast problem. It is not you, and not your camera. It is also not the G1 only that gives magenta cast. Because the cast happens in different amounts, and different colors depending on the shooting situation, there is not one cure-all to the problem. If you have Photoshop, I've found some very powerful tools to help you undo the magenta cast. If you would like to try it, send me an email at vitoj@proaxis.com and I will send you a step by step procedure that usually works for me.

Post #3, May 08, 2001 17:44:53

gbjune
Joined Jun 2001
47 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

John Vito wrote:
Many user complain about the magenta cast problem. It is not you, and not your camera. It is also not the G1 only that gives magenta cast. Because the cast happens in different amounts, and different colors depending on the shooting situation, there is not one cure-all to the problem. If you have Photoshop, I've found some very powerful tools to help you undo the magenta cast. If you would like to try it, send me an email at vitoj@proaxis.com and I will send you a step by step procedure that usually works for me.

I seem to be having this problem a lot, but most of the time "auto levels" in Photoshop (elements) seems to be what it needs...

I'm wondering if putting a filter on the lens would help much in this case...

It doesn't seem to always do it, but in most cases the pictures are a bit on the light side and a slight magenta/greyish cast.

I usually use -1/3 - -2/3 of exposure compensation, which avoids overexposure for most pictures...

Any suggestions ?

geir

Post #4, Jun 27, 2001 12:35:23

Kid ­ Moe
Joined Jun 2001
30 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I also get this problem. Especially when the sky is very dark and there are clouds, the clouds come out magenta. I have heard theories that the magenta sensors on the CCD are sensitive to infrared light, but don't quote me on this.

--
KM

Post #5, Jun 27, 2001 13:53:50

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
oops
Joined Jun 2001
340 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I shot a macro of a blue wildflower and it looked magenta in the LCD before I took the shot. I reasoned that this couldn't possibly be true because I look at the flower; it is definately blue. I look at the LCD; it is definately magenta. I took the shot and it came out very magenta, just like the LCD said it would. Still in position, I increased color saturation and the magenta went away entirely. This was probably just a fix for this one shot because conditions change so much from situation to situation but experimentation is worth a shot, no pun intended.

Post #6, Jun 28, 2001 07:56:50

Kid ­ Moe
Joined Jun 2001
30 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Oh.. this could be it: white balance.

I remember having white balance set to "indoors" and outdoor pictures gave be pink skies.

Try to cycle through the white balance settings until you get one that makes things look good.

--
KM

Post #7, Jun 28, 2001 14:08:53

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,074 views & 0 likes for this thread
Magenta cast in the sky !!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES