Thread started 06 Mar 2010 (Saturday) 06:40   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

blakephoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
53 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow.... ok, well I currently shoot with a 400D but will be upgrading to either a 5D mkII or a 550D soon. Weight isn't really a problem for me, but sharpness I am rather picky about.

That 800 bucks is not gonna do you much good when you're standing there in the field, with a once in a lifetime shot coming up out of the grass, and not a tripod, tree stump, or fence post in a mile to lean on, all for the lack of that little "switch."

Don't take this the wrong way, but what photog worth his salt would be outdoors with out a tripod or monopod, saying that I lost a monopod while shooting in long grass once.

Well thank you all for your helpful comments, I'm rather swayed towards the non IS not only because of the cost, but the image quality is sharper if only slightly.

Post #16, Mar 06, 2010 15:27:38

Brad Blake Photographyexternal link
Facebook pageexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DavidR
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
1,498 posts
Titusville, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

If your picky about image sharpness maybe a prime is in your future, I sold my 70-200 2.8 non IS for the 135L. Saying that, when I purchase another 70-200 it WILL have IS.

Post #17, Mar 06, 2010 16:28:16

David
Feedback

blakephoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
53 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

DavidR wrote in post #9741899external link
If your picky about image sharpness maybe a prime is in your future, I sold my 70-200 2.8 non IS for the 135L. Saying that, when I purchase another 70-200 it WILL have IS.

I had a look at the primes and I currently use a 50mm for most of my shots, but I really like being able to zoom in on the subject without having to swap the lens or end up standing a foot away from them.

Post #18, Mar 06, 2010 17:22:23

Brad Blake Photographyexternal link
Facebook pageexternal link

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,492 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Any time you need to hand hold ANY lens at 1/(FL*1.6) shutter speed on APS-C, IS can help. There are techniques that get you below that rule of thumb (like resting the camera against a rail or wall) but they still leave the camera subject to motion when you press the shutter button! And while it might look fine at 4x6", blow it up and you see the motion artifact. Short FL has nothing to do with NOT needing IS, the detail simply needs to be below a certain fraction of the frame size and the motion blur needs to be above a certain amount! To prove that point, here is a shot at 17mm on a hand held APS-C camera (all shots are section crops from full frame area)...
shutter speed, left to right: 1/25 (1/(FL*1.6), 1/12, 1/6, 1/3; top row no IS, bottom row with IS, when I had back pain just standing!

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/17mmIS.jpg

Post #19, Mar 06, 2010 17:40:37

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
3,989 posts
Calabasas, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

As was probably mentioned already, "IS" does not help freeze a moving or living subject, a higher shutter speed is needed for that.

"IS" does help eliminate your input in hand holding your camera during a capture. "IS" is still a very helpful and useful tool, especially in your longer FL shots. It can also make the difference in getting that shot, or just missing it because of your camera shake.

Jason C

Post #20, Mar 06, 2010 17:54:16

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Rubberhead
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
1,898 posts
South Carolina's Lowcountry
[MORE/SHARE]

It's seldom mentioned but many shots need an aperture smaller than wide-open. IS allows a photographer to shoot a smaller aperture than possible without it.

Post #21, Mar 06, 2010 18:03:39

EQUIPMENT: 40D | Rebel XT | EF 70-200mm f/4L IS | EF-S 10-22mm | EF 28-135mm IS | EF-S 18-55mm IS | EF 50mm 1.8 - flickrexternal link

pingflood
Joined Dec 2008
247 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tkbslc wrote in post #9740536external link
If you want to shoot at under 1/320 shutter speed without a tripod, then get IS. Otherwise, no benefit.

That's just poor advice. There's a huge difference between people when it comes to hand holding. I know some people who are shaky enough to need 1/250 or faster with a 50mm lens, and others that like myself can hand hold a 400mm prime at 1/160 well enough to get more than a few keepers. The "focal length times crop factor" is just a VERY rough ballpark figure, and much like the BMI should not be applied to individuals as some rule to determine what lens they should buy.

Not to mention, if the guy's shooting moving subjects, being able to hand hold at very slow speeds thanks to IS won't help any at all. Keep that in mind, too, before dissing out one liner advice.

Post #22, Mar 06, 2010 19:39:23

1DsII, 7D, EF 85/1.8, EF 50/1.4, EF 24-105L, EF 100-400L, EF 400/5.6L, EF 500/4L, Samyang 14/2.8, Zeiss ZE 50/1.4 Planar

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,467 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I really need IS? Sorry for asking
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES