Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of March 2010 (Sat)   #16
blakephoto

Default Re: Do I really need IS? Sorry for asking

Wow.... ok, well I currently shoot with a 400D but will be upgrading to either a 5D mkII or a 550D soon. Weight isn't really a problem for me, but sharpness I am rather picky about.

Quote:
That 800 bucks is not gonna do you much good when you're standing there in the field, with a once in a lifetime shot coming up out of the grass, and not a tripod, tree stump, or fence post in a mile to lean on, all for the lack of that little "switch."
Don't take this the wrong way, but what photog worth his salt would be outdoors with out a tripod or monopod, saying that I lost a monopod while shooting in long grass once.

Well thank you all for your helpful comments, I'm rather swayed towards the non IS not only because of the cost, but the image quality is sharper if only slightly.
blakephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of March 2010 (Sat)   #17
DavidR

If your picky about image sharpness maybe a prime is in your future, I sold my 70-200 2.8 non IS for the 135L. Saying that, when I purchase another 70-200 it WILL have IS.

Feedback
DavidR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2010 (Sat)   #18
blakephoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
If your picky about image sharpness maybe a prime is in your future, I sold my 70-200 2.8 non IS for the 135L. Saying that, when I purchase another 70-200 it WILL have IS.
I had a look at the primes and I currently use a 50mm for most of my shots, but I really like being able to zoom in on the subject without having to swap the lens or end up standing a foot away from them.
blakephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of March 2010 (Sat)   #19
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

Any time you need to hand hold ANY lens at 1/(FL*1.6) shutter speed on APS-C, IS can help. There are techniques that get you below that rule of thumb (like resting the camera against a rail or wall) but they still leave the camera subject to motion when you press the shutter button! And while it might look fine at 4x6", blow it up and you see the motion artifact. Short FL has nothing to do with NOT needing IS, the detail simply needs to be below a certain fraction of the frame size and the motion blur needs to be above a certain amount! To prove that point, here is a shot at 17mm on a hand held APS-C camera (all shots are section crops from full frame area)...
shutter speed, left to right: 1/25 (1/(FL*1.6), 1/12, 1/6, 1/3; top row no IS, bottom row with IS, when I had back pain just standing!

Last edited by Wilt : 6th of March 2010 (Sat) at 17:49.
Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2010 (Sat)   #20
Jason C
Goldmember

As was probably mentioned already, "IS" does not help freeze a moving or living subject, a higher shutter speed is needed for that.

"IS" does help eliminate your input in hand holding your camera during a capture. "IS" is still a very helpful and useful tool, especially in your longer FL shots. It can also make the difference in getting that shot, or just missing it because of your camera shake.

Jason C

"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2010 (Sat)   #21
Rubberhead

It's seldom mentioned but many shots need an aperture smaller than wide-open. IS allows a photographer to shoot a smaller aperture than possible without it.
Old 6th of March 2010 (Sat)   #22
pingflood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbslc View Post
If you want to shoot at under 1/320 shutter speed without a tripod, then get IS. Otherwise, no benefit.
That's just poor advice. There's a huge difference between people when it comes to hand holding. I know some people who are shaky enough to need 1/250 or faster with a 50mm lens, and others that like myself can hand hold a 400mm prime at 1/160 well enough to get more than a few keepers. The "focal length times crop factor" is just a VERY rough ballpark figure, and much like the BMI should not be applied to individuals as some rule to determine what lens they should buy.

Not to mention, if the guy's shooting moving subjects, being able to hand hold at very slow speeds thanks to IS won't help any at all. Keep that in mind, too, before dissing out one liner advice.