Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 04 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 02:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

1 Camera, 2 Primes, 1 Flash, 1 Bottle: Bag?

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,486 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Singapore
Apr 04, 2010 02:11 |  #1

Hello! I've recently got myself a 5D classic and I must say I'm loving the small camera compared to my other huge 1D2n. However, buying a small camera like that creates yet another problem - both my bags, the Crumper 7MDH & Think Tank Airport Takeoff, are obviously too big for when I want to bring minimal gear around.

So I've been searching around and I must say I haven't found any good leads yet to my bag problem. The Domke F-5xb comes close, but I'm not sure if it can handle the height of the 5D with lens (28 1.8 or 50 1.4) attached. I hate "boxy" bags, and the fact that the F-5XB is longish and thin really made me want to buy it on impulse.

I also don't wanna spend too much, so no Think Tank bags for me this time. Probably US$110?

Any help here would be hot ;)

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

sponsored links
cogliostro
239 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Apr 04, 2010 03:19 |  #2

the midi national geographic shoulder bag could handle that easily, grip or ungripped. Price is around 60-70 bucks around my area. It is pretty boxy though.

5d2 and glasses
deviantartexternal link

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,486 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Singapore
Apr 04, 2010 04:28 |  #3

Ah I don't need that much padding. And yeah it looks pretty boxy to me ):

MARK1992
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Singapore
Apr 04, 2010 05:30 |  #4

Sling, shoulder or backpack?

Why don't you pop down to Cathay Photo. I believe they have a range there. I'm assuming you already haven't done so :D

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,486 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Singapore
Apr 04, 2010 05:38 |  #5

MARK1992 wrote in post #9929492external link
Sling, shoulder or backpack?

Why don't you pop down to Cathay Photo. I believe they have a range there. I'm assuming you already haven't done so :D

Shoulder I guess...

The last time I went there (Cathay Photo is a local photography store), I couldn't find the thin profile F-5XB or F-5XC (is there such a bag?).

lucifer06
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Apr 04, 2010 05:40 |  #6

Think the 5xb can fit the list that u had given except the waterbottle. Of cos u can hang it by the side. I have the bag and i must say, its a great bag to have.

Sven-EOS
481 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Holland
Apr 04, 2010 05:53 as a reply to lucifer06's post |  #7

Think Tank Urban Disguise 40 should be perfect.

"Luck is probability taken personally"
Chip Denmanus

MARK1992
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Singapore
Apr 04, 2010 05:57 |  #8

Headshotzx wrote in post #9929510external link
Shoulder I guess...

The last time I went there (Cathay Photo is a local photography store), I couldn't find the thin profile F-5XB or F-5XC (is there such a bag?).

They do stock Domkes though, am I correct? Although I heard they're terribly overpriced and ordering and shipping it from the US would still be approx SGD50 less.

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,486 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Singapore
Apr 04, 2010 07:30 |  #9

@ Sven-EOS: That's far too expensive for me, unfortunately ):

Perhaps I could buy the F-5XC for the extra bottom compartment- use it for my water bottle when needed (can the middle divider be taken out?) or another lens or two if needed.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Northern VA
Apr 04, 2010 08:33 |  #10

I'm getting one of those Domke F-5XC's soon. I love my 5XB. It's for my most minimal, 24-70 on the 5D2. The 5XC I can add a lens and a flash or a lens and a water bottle. Perfect. The Domke bags are what I choose because they look rugged and not so flaming in color. I may get it in olive this time. They discontinued my favorite blue. :(

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

eeeksNYC
Joined Jan 2008
NYC/NJ
Apr 04, 2010 08:42 |  #11

mountainsmith tour fx. while a lumbar pack, I use it as a shoulder bag. Hold my gripped 5D, an M42 55mm prime, a M42 135mm prime, my Sigma Flash and rocket blower, cards, lenspen...etc etc...

Water bottle in the outside pocket

eeeksNYC (my blogexternal link, my flickrexternal link)
zeiss ikon icarex 35s,5D MK1/ EF 28-70 f2.8L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sunpak 383s / Cybersyncs / and a couple bags of other stuff....http://www.flickr.com/​photos/29075737@N02/external link

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
Apr 04, 2010 09:48 |  #12

IIRC the bottom of the F5XC isn't a separate compartment, just a separate opening; you can configure the supplied dividers to give you a separator between your gear and the water bottle. You might also look at the F-8; it's smaller than the F3x but gives you outside pockets so you can separate the water from the flash and the camera. I haven't got one because I don't generally need anything between the F3x and F5b, but your needsare obviously slightly different from mine.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Apr 04, 2010 11:06 |  #13

The Domke F-5XC is a pretty nice bag for a setup like that, you can stick a couple of primes, or a flash in the bottom and get to them with the zippered opening. The smaller F-5XB works well with the 5D and a lens or two, or flash, but I don't think you could get all three in there at once. A domke messenger satchel would also hold it all and a "large" water bottle!

If you could get a TT "Change Up", it holds all that gear and the stretch pouches on the ends hold a small water bottle easily and keep the water and your camera separated nicely. Can be shoulder or belt bag, and you can add a modular bag to the belt if necessary (I keep one "belt" section flipped out when I use it as a shoulder bag, seems to be more comfortable that way for me and give me a space for a tiny modular bag for a P&S and phone).

-howard

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,486 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Singapore
Apr 05, 2010 11:38 |  #14

Can any of the above bags take a 70-200 without hood?

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Atlanta, GA
Apr 05, 2010 11:48 |  #15

Headshotzx wrote in post #9936687external link
Can any of the above bags take a 70-200 without hood?

The F-5XC can take the 70-200 f2.8L IS w/o the hood. of course not attached.

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

sponsored links

2,022 views & 0 likes for this thread
1 Camera, 2 Primes, 1 Flash, 1 Bottle: Bag?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.