Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of December 2012 (Sun)   #16
Snydremark
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Back button focus on the 6D . . .

and what does it do when holding the back button?
- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (7D, 40D, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 18-270 DiII PZD, 580EX II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."
Snydremark is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of December 2012 (Sun)   #17
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop

On 6D it's the same as the 7D, 5DIII and some of the other newer models now... there are a number of assignable buttons in each camera, all handled through that same custom funtion.

Quote:
1. Go in to C.Fn III - 5
Select the shutter button and set it so that the icon only shows the metering icon
2. Then, (still in the C.Fn III - 5 screen) go select the back button and set it so the icon shows the metering icon and AF icon
The above is correct, but you only need to do step 1. to set up BBF... All you are actually doing is removing AF from the shutter button.

Step 2. should be at the default setting, anyway. So the only reason to do that step is to double check that it's still set correctly. You shouldn't have to change anything.

Unless you also want to swap the function of the AF On and the AE Lock (*) buttons, which can be done optionally (and happens to be the setup I prefer personally... because the AE Lock button is larger, more prominent and closer to one's thumb.... after all, I use AF constantly, and AE Lock only occasionally). If you want to swap these two buttons, just navigate into each of them in that same custom function and set them accordingly, after doing above step 1.
amfoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of December 2012 (Sun)   #18
Nalauk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snydremark View Post
and what does it do when holding the back button?
It stops focus when in AI Servo.

So you have focus and meter as normal on the shutter button, then assign the AF-ON button to become AF-OFF.

If you need to stop focus and use it it on a known stationary target, hold it down while shooting, if the subject starts to move, just release and you're back to AI Servo.

I prefer it like this as well.

This is assuming you were asking phreeky that question?
Nalauk is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of December 2012 (Sun)   #19
Snydremark
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalauk View Post
It stops focus when in AI Servo.

So you have focus and meter as normal on the shutter button, then assign the AF-ON button to become AF-OFF.

If you need to stop focus and use it it on a known stationary target, hold it down while shooting, if the subject starts to move, just release and you're back to AI Servo.

I prefer it like this as well.

This is assuming you were asking phreeky that question?
Yes, I was; interesting, though; thanks for the detail. it isn't, technically, "back button focus", though, in that configuration. I can see where you guys might use that setup, though.
- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (7D, 40D, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS, Tamron 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Tamron 18-270 DiII PZD, 580EX II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."
Old 23rd of December 2012 (Sun)   #20
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

No, it's "not the back button focus". Perhaps similar to "Not the nine o'clock news".

I prefer to have active focus on the back buttons, since that allows me to focus with selected point with AF-ON and pre-registered point with *. Very quick change between them.
Old 2nd of August 2013 (Fri)   #21
JIA333

This thread is a god sent!!! I thought my camera was broken...

AHBGDHJSGDS
Old 12th of November 2013 (Tue)   #22
gaabnz

I've only just tried this on my 6D, and first time I've ever done it.

Had a little play just taking photos of a guy at work and so far so good. I'll certainly be giving this a try on some more serious shots.

Thanks for the thread.
gaabnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of November 2013 (Tue)   #23
m3thods

I thought I'd chime in with an observation-

If you remove the AF portion from the AF-ON button, you won't be able to focus when using the EOS app. I thought my camera was broken for the longest time because I had AF-ON set up to stop focus on my 50D, and brought said setting to the 6D.
Old 12th of November 2013 (Tue)   #24
Snydremark
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I thought I'd chime in with an observation-

If you remove the AF portion from the AF-ON button, you won't be able to focus when using the EOS app. I thought my camera was broken for the longest time because I had AF-ON set up to stop focus on my 50D, and brought said setting to the 6D.
This is also true for most cable/remote releases.
Old 13th of November 2013 (Wed)   #25
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

It's if you remove AF from half-pressing the trigger button you loose the ability to focus with wired remote releases. Since they don't press the AF-ON button, but perform a half-press followed by a full-press of the trigger button.
Old 13th of November 2013 (Wed)   #26
BigAl007
Goldmember

On the subject of wired remotes. Has anyone tried wiring two switches up to a remote cable so one can either hit "focus" or go straight to shutter release? I used to have a nifty shoulder stock arrangement for hand holding long lenses back in the film days, so I could use my ME Super in the same way as the Zenith Photosniper. I would like to make something similar for my 20D. I have access to several old rifle stocks but knowing I could build it so that I could separate focus and shutter would make me more inclined to start the project.

Alan
Old 13th of November 2013 (Wed)   #27
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

Are you asking if it works? Since the camera starts metering on half-press, then going directly to the second step, without making contact on the first, may not work at all. Perhaps the camera will just give you an error code.

But I don't know; I haven't tried that.