Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Motorsports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of March 2012 (Fri)   #1
jdmhon

Default Moving motorcycle shots!

I wanted to take pictures of a friend riding his motorcycle. I haven't done any moving shots yet and I thought id take a stab at it.

My idea was to have someone drive my truck while I shoot from the back drivers side corner of the bed and have another friend hold a 22" kacey beauty dish with a grid and an Elinchrom Ranger Quadra at the other end of the bed while my rider friend rides behind us at around 20-25mph.

I was thinking about going with a shutter speed around 1/40-1/80 depending on my focal length I am using to blur the background and hopefully stop a lot of the motion of my friend riding with the flash in the beauty dish.

any suggestions or recommendations for doing this type of shot? any help will be appreciated.
jdmhon is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of March 2012 (Sat)   #2
Stan_Fox

Default Re: Moving motorcycle shots!

If you do this, see if you can get a safety harness, just in case. Almost had a buddy loose his life doing a shoot like this (professionally). Even bouncing off the pavement at 25mph hurts like heck, not to mention the loss of gear!

Try shooting with the tailgate down, while laying down. A yoga mat helps a lot with this, too. A lens with IS will help a lot, and I prefer to go shorter than longer focal length, where possible. You'd be surprised at how bouncy most roads are!

Good luck and be safe!
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom
Stan_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of April 2012 (Mon)   #3
jdmhon

thanks for the tips!
jdmhon is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of June 2012 (Wed)   #4
TPhantom

Thanks for the tip! I'm planning to do the same thing with my friend's bike. Although it will be hard.
TPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of June 2012 (Tue)   #5
Master of Defenestration

I know this is an old thread...But if you strobe it...You'll freeze most of the motion you're going for in the picture.